Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
eboniknight
Hit 'em Hard and Deep!

First Name: JC
Trading: (0)
eboniknight is on a distinguished road
Default Bucanero Cigars

The other night I was at my local B&M enjoying a smoke, food, drink and fellowship when the discussion turned to Bucanero brand cigars. Me being the curious one, I asked a couple of guys their opinion. Well there was no concenus on this one. Comments ranged from great all the down to disgusting. The owner gave me two (left over from his Bucanero tasting event) to try. I have searched the web for some reviews but come up empty. I'm gonna sample them.....hell they were free....but my question is has anyone in the Asylum ever had one and what did you think? Curious.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 PM   #2
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bucanero Cigars

i smoked a couple about 4 years ago...we had a tasting event at my local BM, and i bought one and got 1 or 2 free....its been awhile but my memory is that they were good, but at the price point they were at, there were others i would buy first.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough

I smoked quite a few 4 or 5 years ago and from what I can remember they were pretty good. Not many B&M's carried them up here. I didn't know they were still made.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
The other night I was at my local B&M enjoying a smoke, food, drink and fellowship when the discussion turned to Bucanero brand cigars. Me being the curious one, I asked a couple of guys their opinion. Well there was no concenus on this one. Comments ranged from great all the down to disgusting. The owner gave me two (left over from his Bucanero tasting event) to try. I have searched the web for some reviews but come up empty. I'm gonna sample them.....hell they were free....but my question is has anyone in the Asylum ever had one and what did you think? Curious.
there is a review on my blog
Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
rlaliberty

Theres are cheap in the latest CI catalog from what i remember
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Smoke Naked
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Smoke Naked is on a distinguished road

CI has Bucanero Red Robusto (5.0" x 50) for $19.99 for 20

♥ ♦ Palio Fanboy Here ♣ ♠
Smoke Naked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #7
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cle_smoker View Post
I smoked quite a few 4 or 5 years ago and from what I can remember they were pretty good. Not many B&M's carried them up here. I didn't know they were still made.
+1

Used to be a very nice boutique Nicaraguan smoke. I smoked more than a few of them in the past around the same time I was into Cupidos. They made a Costa Rican puro for a while as well, which I also enjoyed.

Hmm ... now I'm jonesing some Nic smokes ... just pulled out a JdN Antano Lancero and Bucanero Salsa that I'm gonna hit tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

I got a couple for Christmas of '06. It was the first time I knew without a doubt what they meant by it had an earthy taste. It was almost like they rolled the tobacco in the dirt and then rolled it. I don't recall exactly which one it was But I believe it was a maduro.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

I found an old pic from August 03 that had one in it. Bottom row, 9th one from the left. From what I remember they were priced considerably higher than what they are now.

And no smart-ass comments from the peanut gallery about the Dominican Cohibas. I've learned a lot since then.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

I Love Bucaneros.

The Full Sail, Canon maduro and Classico maduro are some of my favorites.

The Z, Texas Star and Salsa are all great, too.

Bucanero
Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #11
The Saint

Quote:
I found an old pic from August 03 that had one in it. Bottom row, 9th one from the left. From what I remember they were priced considerably higher than what they are now.

And no smart-ass comments from the peanut gallery about the Dominican Cohibas. I've learned a lot since then.

A Garo?
Haven't seen one of those in a looooong time.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #12
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

There was a B&M here that sold them. I wasn't very impreessed from what I remember.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
The Saint

Quote:
There was a B&M here that sold them. I wasn't very impreessed from what I remember.
I met Dr. Garo in Vegas at one of the RTDA shows, 04 I think. Nice enough guy......but I HATE it when someone tells you you're lighting a cigar wrong. I've been smoking cigars for 12 years, he tried to "teach" me the proper lighting procedure
Old 04-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #14
Java

Bucaneros are great. Never had a bad one.

The company has been around for years, but Robert Spoden (owner) has always kept the production fairly limited which may be why you never see them in catalogs.

Rumor is the company is currently for sale, but I can neither confirm nor deny. Given the current state of business and the economy I could see how this may be plausible.

Regardless, try those Bucaneros out. You may be pleasantly surprised. As others have said, they tend to be on the pricey side ($4-8), however comparatively speaking it isn't *that* bad for a boutique cigar.

For the poster referring to the Bucanero Reds from CI, those are new to CI, however if I recall correctly they are a mixed, short filler cigar. Not something you want to go into expecting Bucanero's masterpiece.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Mirrorlure7m
Twitter: @Mirrorlure7m

First Name: Joel
Trading: (9)
Mirrorlure7m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboniknight View Post
Well we have some of them in the cigarshop I work at. I have not tried one yet. The ones we have have been aging for awhile I can tell you that. I will have to give a few a try. If there is any Bucanero cigar fans here let me know some of the names you are looking for and I might be able to get them.

Last edited by Mirrorlure7m; 04-17-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Mirrorlure7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM   #16
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post

Rumor is the company is currently for sale, but I can neither confirm nor deny. Given the current state of business and the economy I could see how this may be plausible.
I lvoe Bucanero cigars and i wish i had a box or two in my humidor right now. From what I remember reading yes the company is/was for sale which is a shame because they make a wonderful product. I can't remember which ones I had but I've had several and never been let down
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
Lensjockie

The local shop here is friends with the owners, and even has a couple of house blends for their shop.
Pops Tobacco in Newport News VA
Anybody needs some let me know.
Personally, they taste grassy to me but I do like the maduro Canon.

Lensjockie
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #18
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

The Bucanero Red is made for CI, and it is a short filler cigar. The other Bucanero cigars are long filler and the ones I have tried are very interesting.They are well made and burn very evenly,give rich and enjoyable flavors and delightful aromas.The tobaccos are from many different countries,and I think the Treasure is a puro of Costa Rican tobacco.It is a medium full smoke,the taste reminds me of tobaccos grown in volcanic soil,slightly alkaline and very tasty/ earthy.The Canon is a big 6x60 that is bold and full,reminds me of older cuban Montecristo smokes,the full and earthy character I used to love....
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #19
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lensjockie View Post
The local shop here is friends with the owners, and even has a couple of house blends for their shop.
Pops Tobacco in Newport News VA
Anybody needs some let me know.
Im pretty sure eboni was referring to Pops also, since he told me that is where he frequents, and that is also where I get my Bucaneros.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

I just spoke to Bob, the company is solid and certainly not for sale.The rumor started from health problems several years ago,which have been overcome. Bob is happy to say that he is going to continue to make the same high quality cigars he has always made,and welcomes you to visit his web site, Bucanero cigars.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote