Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #21
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Trading: (6)
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Heat Is Officially On For Good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
We got to open the windows yesterday for the first time since probably March. Course we closed them and turned on the air before we went to bed.
I'm hoping I can open the house up tomorrow. I've had the A/C running since June - it needs a break.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
iamsolitary
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
iamsolitary is on a distinguished road

I actually can't wait to get the energy bill for September. Haven't had the A/C on since this first week. The heat probably won't go on until it's in the 50s outside during the day.
iamsolitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #23
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
No heat on here until November. At least I hope. Highs in the 70's here.

We open the window during the day and close them before it cools off too much in the evening. The chill is hard to get rid of once it's in the house. But it's upper 70's today. My A/C was working it's butt off this summer and my bill has the numbers to prove it! Glad to have this time where there is no A/C or propane being used.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashcan Bill View Post
I'm hoping I can open the house up tomorrow. I've had the A/C running since June - it needs a break.
I'm with you, Bill!

I only ran the A/C a little this weekend and I opened windows last night.

Today's high is supposed to be 73! A nice break!

I probably won't use the heater for another few weeks... Sorry Scott!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM   #25
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

Well the other night it got down to 30* but tonight is showing 43 for a low.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
gpugliese
B.Y.O.B.

First Name: Greg
Trading: (13)
HUpmann
gpugliese will become famous soon enough

Cleaned out the pellet stove and swept the chimneys. I'm hoping to not use the stoves until later this month (like last year) but you never know. It is supposed to be back in the 70's this coming weekend.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #27
Lonely Raven

My fiance hates me. I run warm/hot, and I love sleeping in the cold. It's been high 40's to low 50's around Chicagoland, and I sleep with the windows open with nothing but a bedsheet. I get too warm with a blanket, though there have been times where I woke up wanting one.

We typically go till November before I turn the heat on.

Everyone remember to inspect your furnace before you fire that thing up! It can be dangerous if it's clogged or faulty!
Old 10-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Hi yesterday was 84, low this morning 65. I have all the windows open in the house. Wish I was this all year around.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #29
BC-Axeman

Yep, time to start getting firewood. In fact, that's what the wife has planned for me to do this weekend. It's been two years since I used the furnace or the A/C. Mild summers and winters.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Though it's been cloudy and cool here in Noith Joisey for days, I haven't needed heat. One of the advantages living on the top floor in an apartment means I get the warmth from below coming up to me.

Of course, I get that too in August.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #31
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

H62 L53 Today. Loving this weather, this year we do not have oil heat so we may set the heat above 65f. We kept it there or below last year and its not that bad, other than sitting on the pot in the AM! As far as smoking this winter I had to call it off around Jan, the shed I had was just to big to heat, this year I have a smaller rubbermaid shed that has many air pockets in it that I hope will help insulate
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #32
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

We dont have seasons in SoCal, just earth quakes
Old 10-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #33
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
We dont have seasons in SoCal, just earth quakes

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #34
Don C
K8BB

Trading: (0)
Don C has disabled reputation

It was in the 30s and 40s last week (Detroit), but back in the 60s and 70s this week. I think it was in the 50s here in the house last week, but it'll probably be another month before I fire up the boiler!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #35
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I don't even want to upset you!!!
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #36
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Here's a question. Do your heat bills in the winter equate to our AC bills in the summer?
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #37
Don C
K8BB

Trading: (0)
Don C has disabled reputation

I try not to think about my heat bills in the winter. I do like it comfortable, and the thermostat is around 68-72 most of the winter, once I finally get the thing going. My first year in this house (about 8 years ago) I nearly fell on the floor after my first Dec-Jan bill - egads!!! I'm on the "budget plan" now, paying 200x my actual July usage in July to balance out the solstice deep-freeze.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

We went from the heat being on to all the windows are open. It's about 53 out there tonight, and that's perfect for keeping the bedroom windows open all night. It's gonna be super cozy Tonight.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #39
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE View Post
Here's a question. Do your heat bills in the winter equate to our AC bills in the summer?
Without any evidence whatsoever, I'm guessing everyone pays pretty much the same to heat/cool over a year wherever you live in the contiguous US. I'd bet "they" figure out how to get an equal ratio chunk out of everyone, beit through the fortune of seasons or by balancing things via the utility commissions.
Lots of politics are wrapped around energy usage, and I have to imagine the goal is for everyone to assume as equal a burden as possible.
Of course there's ways to beat the game, if you can stand the summer heat or cut your own wood in the winter, or work extra hard to make things as inexpensive as possible, but I think all us average thermostat twisters ultimately pay close to the same, by ratio, year to year.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #40
BC-Axeman

I've seen the difference insulation and good windows makes. From a leaky old cabin I lived in where the fire had to be roaring all the time to the more modern house I'm in now where I burn less wood than that one room cabin. Insulate and seal, the more the better. Save in the summer and the winter.