Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jon
Trading: (0)
Jon11 is on a distinguished road
Default Going to Riviera Maya Mexico

Staying at the Secrets Maroma Beach Resort. From what I understand they have a cigar shop on site. Looking for some good CC's to smoke while I'm there, assuming they have them. What kind should I look for? I know about every brand of NC's, but am very uneducated when it comes to CC's. Would really like to try a few each day while I'm there so recommendations would be great. Thanks
Jon
Jon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice
Default Re: Going to Riviera Maya Mexico

Stay away from the major brands, as they are most likely fakes at the hotel cigar shop.

I'm going to Riviera Maya in April (staying at Azul Sensatori), and am bringing my own smokes. I may buy one or two just to see how bad the fakes are, but not really counting on authentic product. I would not buy Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta, etc. See if they have something like Quintero, Juan Lopez, or Por Larranaga. I would think counterfeiters would stick to higher priced (and more famous brand named) sticks to maximize profits.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
BC-Axeman

We might be going back to Playa this year. They have a LCDH there. The resort cigars were laughable in Tulum. Some may have been real but the guy insisting his glass tops were authentic was too much for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

In the hotel, expect high prices and likely fake cigars. In public, expect all fake cigars.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
In public, expect all fake cigars.
Except in my herfador
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

I had no idea about the fakes. Bummer, I was planning on tasting some good CC's. Oh well, now I know to bring my herf with some LP's and Padrons.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

When are you down. I am in tulum, playa and cancun till march 20. I will have a few to try for you.

Let me know where if dates and times work and enjoy a good smoke.
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Coral View Post
When are you down. I am in tulum, playa and cancun till march 20. I will have a few to try for you.

Let me know where if dates and times work and enjoy a good smoke.
Very cool, John!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

John I Pm'ed you thanking you for the offer, but I won't be there yet. Thanks Again.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I was at exactly where you say your going about 2 years ago!! It was unbelievable brother!!! The whole atmosphere was just so relaxing and the food was down right amazing! I have traveled a bunch of places and been on a ton of different all inclusive's and what not but this one is definitely in my top 3. Here are some pics...

This is one walkway that had about three or four restaurants (Italian, Mexican, French etc)...really great food!!

As you can see I loved the place...They basically have everything, its one long relaxing week and now the good part. They do have a fairly decent walk in store I would say I think 9 x 12 maybe, right inside the hotel lobby by the bar. I know they sell them there but I can't remember which ones or what...I would definitely take pics of what you smoke or are going to buy and post them on here because everyone here is very knowledgeable as you know...but I know they were trying to sell me all sorts of dog rockets that were not the real thing!!!!

Some of the best food is the little hut by the pool that cooks from 11am-3pm, great shrimp, chicken, steak and a bunch of other stuff. I figured I would show you some pictures of the actual resort and not just the ones you see on the net. I hope as much as I am hyping this place up you enjoy it brother...me and the wife are going to go back in 2 years because we both enjoyed it so much.

Anyways...hope you enjoy it brother
Old 03-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

My assistant just got back from Riviera Maya. She brought back a couple of RyJ Cedros De Luxe No. 3's for me. She stayed at the Iberostar Lindo but I have no idea where she bought these. Truely expected them to be fakes. Fired one up last weekend. It's been a while since I smoked one of these but, if it's a fake, it's a darn good fake.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Jon11
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for the pics Taki. Just showed my fiance and we can't wait. Thanks again Bro!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
Thanks for the pics Taki. Just showed my fiance and we can't wait. Thanks again Bro!
It was a great time brother...also at night they blow up this huge movie screen and show movies out side this little cabana and they also hold poker games and whatnot, its definitely a good time. But I would recommend the Japanese Hibachi grill (if you enjoy that kind of food) but you have to make a reservation to sit at the bar and they book quick. We got there Saturday and booked it Sunday but our actual dinner was Thursday so keep that in mind. I will hit you up with a few more pics...hopefully I captured the "shop" in the background of some!!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
jerseyjay
Still Watching My Back

jerseyjay is on a distinguished road

Mexico / Cancun / Riviera Maya / Playa del Carmen - they all have legit cigars, you just have to know where to look. Here is what I said on BOTL forum so let me copy / paste.

# 1 - LCDH in Cancun
# 2 - LCDH in Playa del Carmen (yes it is still open. got a confirmation from them couple weeks ago / some said that place is small and selection is average).

A member of FOH forum is also an owner of a cigar shop in Playa del Carmen. Here are his thoughts and direction to his place.

Addresses don't mean much down here, its roughly at the corner of 5th avenue (Quinta) and Constituyentes. At that corner, there is an Ah Cacao coffee shop and two restaraunts, we are on Quinta, one spot down from the taco place. Karma Bagels is above us on the second floor. Called La 5ta Habanos. Pretty easy to get to. Our shop is small, its just a walk in humidor and that's pretty much it, but we have nice stock.

The best store in town (playa anyway) as far as volume of stock is Casa
Partagas (the big one, not to be confused with the small one on opposite
side and down the street). The problem is their prices are through the
roof. LCDH in Cancun is very nice, and worth a visit.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Don't fuss too much about fakes, just try and get yourself to a nice reputable cigar shop in town.

I just got back from Panama, and was able to enjoy several Romeo & Julieta, Partagas, ,and H.Upman's, as well as a fiver of La Flour de Panama which was wonderful. If they were fakes, they were great!!!

Oh, enjoy your trip!!!

Last edited by RWhisenand; 03-06-2012 at 09:55 PM.
RWhisenand is offline   Reply With Quote