Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Cigars & Air travel

I don't do a whole lot of air travel - once a year if that.

I will be flying out to Denver soon, and am wondering about traveling with cigars and what I can and cannot pack/carry-one/etc...

Cutter? What are the rules, should I bring & should I leave at home?

Lighter(s) and/or matches? Bring with me -- Carry-on? Checked baggage? By a bic when I get there?

Cigars - where should they travel? Carry-on? Checked?

Thanks for your help.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Todd
Old 06-30-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: Cigars & Air travel

cigars I believe I kept with me in carry on but I checked cutter and lighter last time I flew. I also don't fly very often though so I'm sure someone will chime in with different/better advice

edit: just checked a TSA listing and I guess any kind of a torch lighter is not allowed. I must have used matches when I was in florida but couldn't remember. I'm almost certain I checked a cutter though
Old 06-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

I carry my cutter & cigars with me...No lighter or matches...less hassle. Just pick up matches in the area.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Good morning Rev,

I still have a pending item with you, havent forgotten!

I travel by air a couple times a month for work.

There are a few simple rules I always follow be it domestic or international.

1). Cigars ALWAYS travel in the carry on, ALWAYS.

2). The cutter always goes in the checked baggage - some will say you can carry it on however it is at the screener's discretion and they will take it away.

3). Matches can go with you and the torch can "legally" travel if it is in the TSA approved container. I travel with mine in a Pelican Case and have not had any problems as of yet.

I hope this helps you and safe travels!

Respectfully,

Travis
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Hey Todd,
I travel quite a bit and always with cigars.
I hand carry my travel humi with all nationalities of sticks and my Palio inside.
I never carry any lighters. I always have matches in my checked bags.

Cutters are allowed on-board aircraft... but I wouldn't push it with any fancy schmancy scissor type, just a regular old cutter for me.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Safe travels Rev.

Enjoy Denver and look up the CFRHers while you're there.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

What they said.

When I went to Montreal in May I had both my Ronsons confiscated out of my checked luggage on the way back - forgot about the lighter/torch rule, and paid the price (granted the price was like $6).
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
loki
H.A.T.E

Trading: (7)
Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home. carry on Yes checked No

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. Carry on No checked No

Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage. carry on No checked No
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #8
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Well you take all the fun out of it when you quote directly from the TSA site hahahaha.

How have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post
Common Lighters - Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home. carry on Yes checked No

Torch Lighters - Torch lighters create a thin, needle-like flame that is hotter (reaching 2,500 degrees Fahrenheit) and more intense than those from common lighters. Torch lighters are often used for pipes and cigars, and maintain a consistent stream of air-propelled fire regardless of the angle at which it is held. Torch lighters continue to be banned. Carry on No checked No

Strike-anywhere Matches - One book of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage. carry on No checked No
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
newlifetaxidermy

I have carried my torches many times in a zippo air case with ZERO problems. Just to be safe, I wouldn't carry my expensive lighters.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Well you take all the fun out of it when you quote directly from the TSA site hahahaha.

How have you been?
i'm a real killjoy I know. I'm good how ya been
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki View Post

yah, thats what I read too. I thought I took mine last time, but maybe not
Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

i've had matches confiscated..TSA has rules but if they want to be jerks they'll do whatever they want because they know you have a flight to catch.

Just keep it simple..carry on your cigars with a cheap cutter and pick up matches when you land.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
colimo
friend of Brother Maynard

First Name: doug
Trading: (41)
PL
colimo will become famous soon enough

one other solution is to buy a cheap lighter when you get here....

what ya comin to denver for?...welcome....let me know if you need a suggestion on where to smoke....know em all
Old 06-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (41)
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Todd, when I went to Vegas last month, I took about 60 sticks of various origins (ELVIS herf) and carried on my 30-case with me, along with a box of stick matches in my computer case... 0 problems at either end. I also had my 5, 10 and 15 cases in my checked luggage with no problems either. If you want a cutter, take a cheap one with you in your checked luggage.

My wife carried on a Bic lighter and a pack of matches with no problems at either TSA gate also - And Detroit Metro's TSA people are a real pain in the rear from what I hear. According to some of the frequent fliers I talked to before I left, it was costing big $$ for TSA for properly dispose of all of the soft-flame lighters they were taking, so they allow 1 in carry-ons. Even if they decide to take it, you are only out a buck or so.

I'll send you a PM about some info I received regarding cutters and lighters.

Have a safe trip!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
cigars I believe I kept with me in carry on but I checked cutter and lighter last time I flew. I also don't fly very often though so I'm sure someone will chime in with different/better advice

edit: just checked a TSA listing and I guess any kind of a torch lighter is not allowed. I must have used matches when I was in florida but couldn't remember. I'm almost certain I checked a cutter though
Last time I flew, several months ago, carried a cheapo lighter, cigars in a ziplock with a 65%RH Boveda Pack, & cutter with me in my carry on. They looked at both of them, and my cigars, and said "No Problem".
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Todd, when I went to Vegas last month, I took about 60 sticks of various origins (ELVIS herf) and carried on my 30-case with me, along with a box of stick matches in my computer case... 0 problems at either end. I also had my 5, 10 and 15 cases in my checked luggage with no problems either. If you want a cutter, take a cheap one with you in your checked luggage.

My wife carried on a Bic lighter and a pack of matches with no problems at either TSA gate also - And Detroit Metro's TSA people are a real pain in the rear from what I hear. According to some of the frequent fliers I talked to before I left, it was costing big $$ for TSA for properly dispose of all of the soft-flame lighters they were taking, so they allow 1 in carry-ons. Even if they decide to take it, you are only out a buck or so.

I'll send you a PM about some info I received regarding cutters and lighters.

Have a safe trip!!!

Charlie, can you send me the updated info, too? Thanks, Bro!
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Jcaprell

Whenever I fly with gars I always keep them in my cary on.

Cutter I always check

Bic lighter are OKAY to carry on, but if you want to bring a torch, you need to check it and EMPTY it.

Thats how I've always done it. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

I always print out a copy of the allowed items page from their website and keep it in my carry-on. If they want to seize something that is listed as okay, I can just whip it out.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
Jcaprell

Thats a great idea Kelly. I'll be sure to do that from now on just in case.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Heres the list direct from the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

Heres more info:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...able_0099.shtm
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote