Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 10-02-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Red

Default ion breeze / air purifier

Any body use one of these devices. I'm looking for something to put in the garage to suck up some of the smoke...so in the winter I can smoke with the door shut! To cold in there for it to be open even with the heater cranked.
A smoke eater is outta the question...the wife will never go for it...at least not this close to xmas and both my kids bdays...just a broke white man here.

So if anyone has had any exp. With the ionic breeze and thinks this may be an answer...please fill me in

Thx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ion breeze / air purifier

If you mean the Ionic Breeze that is or was sold by Sharper Image, they don't move enough air to be effective. A ventilation fan is the way to go. It's more expensive, but also look into a heat recovery ventilator, which recovers the heat rather than throwing it outside.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
If you mean the Ionic Breeze that is or was sold by Sharper Image, they don't move enough air to be effective. A ventilation fan is the way to go.
Correct. The Ionic Breeze is an air cleaner, not a smoke remover. You could always close the garage door onto a window fan. That would suck out most of the smoke. You would then need some sort of space heater.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Red

yes. i have a few heaters..i normally smoke in the shed in the winter..but its too full this year , the shed was cool but all the smoke was trapped in and i felt like i was dead when i got out..

if i tried to blow the smoke out all the heat went with it...

will check out something for heat recovery...theres no way to put a window in my garage...the way its build is not fit for it unless i wanna spend more than i have
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
theres no way to put a window in my garage...the way its build is not fit for it unless i wanna spend more than i have
Put in a fart fan.

http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bath-F...atalogId=10053

No major expense necessary. Just a fan, some wiring, a bit of flex tubing, a 3" hole saw and an exterior self closing vent fitting. Less than $50 worth of parts and an hour or two worth of install time.

It'll clear the smoke, but won't be powerfull enough to pull all of your heated air out.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Put in a fart fan.
Fart fan is pretty funny. That took me a glance at the HD page to figure out what you were talking about.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Parshooter
I'm a friend of Gary S

First Name: Marc
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
Parshooter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
..theres no way to put a window in my garage...the way its build is not fit for it unless i wanna spend more than i have
Not talking about putting a window in your garage. Buy a dual-fan window unit (less than $50), put it where the garage door comes down. Pull garage door down on top of fan unit. You could put some boxes or get some foam insulation for the gaps between the fan and the sides of the garage.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
MrOneEyedBoh
Hon.

Trading: (30)
MrOneEyedBoh will become famous soon enough

If you have windows in your garage what about getting one of these to blow out of your garage?

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

It would create enough air flow to pull the smoke I think and keep the heat near your.
MrOneEyedBoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Red

i dont have windows!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

The ion breeze is a great unit but it takes a few days for the unit to remove all traces of cigar smoke. We have one in almost every room of the house running 24/7.

I should mention they need to be cleaned on a daily basis depending on how hard you make the unit work.
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Red

i dont really care about the smell ...its just the actuall smoke i want to clear out at the time of smoking..so im not sitting in a cloud!! lol
Old 10-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Trading: (24)
Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

Quote:
i dont really care about the smell ...its just the actuall smoke i want to clear out at the time of smoking..so im not sitting in a cloud!! lol

Then the Ion Breeze is not the unit you want. Shop Vac might work LOL
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 PM   #13
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

This looks like it would be a good solution for you but they run $400.00 - $500.00
- http://www.purifan.com/index.php

I have a couple of Ionic Breeze air purifiers that I use, I have the small desktop models. I leave it running and if I smoke in the garage at night you can't tell it the next morning.
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
This looks like it would be a good solution for you but they run $400.00 - $500.00
- http://www.purifan.com/index.php
Do those things actually work?

Over the years, I've seen more supposed "smoke removal machines", be it filters or electrostatic cleaners than I can recall, all of which make all kinds of similiar claims, but only about one or two out of every ten seems to work at all, and never as well as claimed.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
itsme_timd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tim
Trading: (3)
ERdM
itsme_timd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Do those things actually work?

Over the years, I've seen more supposed "smoke removal machines", be it filters or electrostatic cleaners, that make all kinds of similiar claims, than I can recall, but only about one or two out of every ten seems to work at all, and never as well as claimed.
A couple of the B&M's here have them. If you've got you and a couple buddies around then they work pretty well. One of the smaller B&M's here has events at times and he has 15-20 people in there and all it does is keep the smoke moving in a nice circle.
itsme_timd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd View Post
A couple of the B&M's here have them. If you've got you and a couple buddies around then they work pretty well. One of the smaller B&M's here has events at times and he has 15-20 people in there and all it does is keep the smoke moving in a nice circle.
LOL.

Thanks.

Sounds like they are designed more for cigarette smoke.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Red

fart fan!! LOL
dammit, i just need to smoke in the house..the wife will deal with it or leave..right
Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Cigary

Try this Red. I had one of these I bought 10 years ago and it works great. Bought another one of these 2 years ago and left it in San Diego and it is the same type of purifier and I was able to smoke in the condo and this machine took care of the smoke and any odor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GREEN-AIR-PU...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #19
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
Try this Red. I had one of these I bought 10 years ago and it works great. Bought another one of these 2 years ago and left it in San Diego and it is the same type of purifier and I was able to smoke in the condo and this machine took care of the smoke and any odor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GREEN-AIR-PU...d=p3286.c0.m14
+1

He's on the right track with that one, that's basically exactly what you need. Mom's had a few "Alpine" air purifiers kicking around the house for years since a brief stint trying to sell them. Crap company (MLM), BUT AWESOME product. It's basically the same thing, and I honestly don't think there's much of a difference other than the price .

To clean out the smoke cloud, you need IONS (you can literally watch it cut a swath through the smoke in front of it). Ozone can be used to eliminate the odor, but its a gradual thing. If you want it to work faster, you can turn it up and leave the room. Its the exact same stuff that a lightning storm generates, and is one of the reasons the air smells to "clean" afterwards... but in high doses its not so good for ya, so just step out of the room if your gonna turn it up.

(and when you get tired of odor anywhere else in your life, just plug that machine in. Friend was recently selling his car, but couldnt get a VERY entrenched dog smell out of it. 36 hours with the windows up and that machine plugged in and the car smelled like it came from a dealer)

That machine on ebay seems to have it all, and for a damned cheap price if it works as good as the $400-$700 units I've used. Go for it, there is NO better solution.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #20
klipsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
+1

He's on the right track with that one, that's basically exactly what you need. Mom's had a few "Alpine" air purifiers kicking around the house for years since a brief stint trying to sell them. Crap company (MLM), BUT AWESOME product. It's basically the same thing, and I honestly don't think there's much of a difference other than the price .

To clean out the smoke cloud, you need IONS (you can literally watch it cut a swath through the smoke in front of it). Ozone can be used to eliminate the odor, but its a gradual thing. If you want it to work faster, you can turn it up and leave the room. Its the exact same stuff that a lightning storm generates, and is one of the reasons the air smells to "clean" afterwards... but in high doses its not so good for ya, so just step out of the room if your gonna turn it up.

(and when you get tired of odor anywhere else in your life, just plug that machine in. Friend was recently selling his car, but couldnt get a VERY entrenched dog smell out of it. 36 hours with the windows up and that machine plugged in and the car smelled like it came from a dealer)

That machine on ebay seems to have it all, and for a damned cheap price if it works as good as the $400-$700 units I've used. Go for it, there is NO better solution.
I spent alot of time researching this when I started smoking in my car and apartment. After knocking number around, I went commecial grade. Works like a charm.