Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
BamBam
Just Pipin'

Trading: (37)
Montecristo
BamBam will become famous soon enoughBamBam will become famous soon enough
Default Computer Anti-Virus Software

You'll have to forgive me for this novice computer question.

What is the best value for the buck when it comes to an anti-virus program?
Are there any that are free?

I want one that I can just download from the internet. I'm looking to save some money here.

This computer came with Norton anti-virus. But it expires in 2 days. It's gonna cost me $50 bucks to renew with Norton. Is that the best deal I can get?

Thanks guys.
BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation
Default Re: Computer Anti-Virus Software

AVG Free - FREE!

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition
Old 04-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

I switched from AVG to AVAST and I'm pretty happy. It updates on its own so I don't need to worry about anything.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
yellowgoat

Nod32

Not free but I like it best out of all that I used.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
xeemz
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
xeemz is on a distinguished road

I used to use AVG but it caused issues. I think it hogged up too many resources or something. In any case, I would recommend Avast for a free AV.
Just disable the sounds via the windows control panel or it will annoy you.

Oh, and don't forgot about anti-spyware (spybot - it's free) and adblock for firefox to get rid of the annoying ads online.

Happy computing!
xeemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Trading: (5)
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

I've had mostly good results with the new integrated Comodo Internet Security Suite. It has antivirus and a firewall and is free to private users.

I've found that it sometimes forgets answers to program access questions, and for true nubies, it bight be a touch steep on the learning and attention curve.

Other than that, you'll have a hard time going wrong with AVG or Avast and ZoneAlarm Free or a copy of the Sygate firewall if you can find it floating around. I've put some combination of these on several friends/family systems in the past.

I have to say that I am rather impressed with the 2009 version of the Norton Suite. I had written them off several years ago as hopeless bloatware but they've slimmed it down in a very major way. I never thought I'd say that it was a better product than the Zonelabs one, but it is, at least this year. Lighter on resources, faster, less intrusive but still secure. Very nice. There is a demo reset patch floating around for it but I'm not sure how safe it is going and looking for it. Most of the places it might reside will have a higher than average rate of viral infections. I paid for mine and that is saying something for an old pirate like me.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
CigarmanTim
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (7)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
CigarmanTim is on a distinguished road

Norton's is great...but costly. A lot of companies install it on their computers. AVG is free....it's ok. Also get stinger. Spybot search and destroy is another I use - free

Of course as a new vendor... I can now sell u one.
CigarmanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowgoat View Post
Nod32

Not free but I like it best out of all that I used.

Ditto.

You know AV programs are like anything else - everyone has their own favorites. That said - I was really impressed with the NOD32 (Eset) folks in the non-stop support they gave me in a recent problem - and they continually checked with me instead of me having to check with them.

In addition - Malwarebytes is a great program. I use it in conjunction with NOD.

I have learned over the years that not any single program captures every single problem.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Your host ISP should have a free Anti-virus program. Check with them first. Spybot and Ad Aware are good backups that will clean trojans and other spyware as well. AVG is a good program as well, but I had conflicts with the McAfee Anti Virus my ISP provided.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Everyone else has given you the best, cheapest route to go with. Well without torrenting some software which could get you in some trouble. I use Kaspersky which is pricey but IMO the best antivirus software out there.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #11
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

When I did computer work the 2 best free that I tested were AVG and AVAST. My preference was AVG and still is but have nothing bad to say about AVAST. I have had AVG find infected files that Norton McCafee and TrendMicro never saw.

Get AVG Free here: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...html?tag=mncol

Get AVAST here: http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-...html?tag=mncol
Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #12
madurolover
That's what she said

madurolover is on a distinguished road

Make sure you run the Norton Removal Tool since Norton really hates to be removed from computers and will leave behind bits and pieces everywhere.

I use AVG along with Spybot S&D
and I run Malwarebytes occasionally.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #13
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmmm as the others have noted - we will all have our favorites. As I work in IT I get to see a lot of products. A few general comments.

1. At a minimum you need a anti spayware and anti malware products. If they do not auto update - they are worthless. I make a lot of side line $$$ from people who tell me "I ment to do the updates" (thanks you you lazy peeps - my cigar budget loves you).

2. Norton - industry standard to which "most" try to compare against. Has the "name" along with McAffee. Last Enterprise version has a lot of memory leaks and error messages. Pricey as you pay for the name.

3. McAffee - never have liked it or it's interface. Again a big name and pricey IMO.

4. The free AVG stuff.... never messed with it to much.

5. I use Trend Mico at the house - nice Anti-virus and Anti Malware in a bundle. Price is not to bad either. Takes care of business with a minimum interfacing and nag screens. Never been hit in 4 years using it unless I was dloading stuff I was pretty sure was infected. Even then it protected me although it wasn't happy

6. Most of my current work is clearing out malware not viruses any more. Spybot used to be my goto but in the past few years has really fallen by the way side and is not near as effective as it used to be. As mentioned above - Malwwarebytes is pretty damn good. Better if you go paid if this is to be your only AM software. There are other tools in the bag but Malwarebytes is gets most of the bad stuff.

BTW, no such thing as free. That coupon bar, catchy little screen saver, etc are out there for a reason. At $30 an hour I only work 2 hours to clean a PC. If I can't get it in 2, I stop and try to work out a deal on a reload. Between scans, reboots, downloading special removers, the reload will give you a faster and a 100% clean machine.

None of the software is ever a 100%, too many independent tests have shonw this. Some are better than others and there is always the window of time between the release of a new virus/malware and the downloading of the update..... my , YMMV.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Kaspersky has been a fav of mine for awhile now. Not free, but well worth the cost. That being said i've AVG and Avast in the past and both were pretty good too.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

I think if you are one of those people that doesn't torrent or surf the XXX sites a free virus and spyware/malware program will be fine.

My parents are paranoid about their virus software and I have had them setup with the free stuff for the last 5 years. They have never got anything.......Until my little brother messed with my moms laptop. I wonder what he was doing?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

NOD32 has the smallest footprint, uses least system resources, and scans very fast. It also uses advance heuristics to diagnose potential viruses before they have been discovered. It isn't free but is very good.

MCS
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
uncballzer

here's the 5 best according to lifehacker and it's readers. I use AVG currently.

http://lifehacker.com/395046/five-be...s-applications
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #18
rennD
NinfaManiac

First Name: Carl
Trading: (19)
Cohiba Navy (Served With Honor)
rennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura aboutrennD has a spectacular aura about

I agree with AVG because it is free. I installed it for a BOTL recently. If you are willing to pay, McAfee is my choice.

Another free choice is eEye Blink.

I use Linux so I dont get viruses
Old 04-23-2009, 12:07 AM   #19
xeemz
Just in from the Storm

xeemz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennD View Post
I agree with AVG because it is free. I installed it for a BOTL recently. If you are willing to pay, McAfee is my choice.

Another free choice is eEye Blink.

I use Linux so I dont get viruses
Install wine and join the fun!
xeemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #20
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Symantec AV. Just pay for it. Windows Defender for spy-ware.