Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 03-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
kickerb

Default Re: My humidor has betrayed me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Glad I lost the auction on mine, after seeing this thread. Good Luck.
i was thinking this was the one you were bidding on.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #22
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
^^ +1

What you could do if it's worth it, is glue and clamp the affected area, drill out the screw holes and glue in hardwood dowels. Once set, drill screw holes into hardwood dowels and reassemble.

Or start saving up and speak to someone about a custom built desktop

Or, run down and pick up a tupperdore

Or run down and get a coleman cooler for a coolidor

Or.....

You do have options if the vendor doesn't take care of you. Hopefully they will and this is all for nothing.
I Don't Think They Will, But GL! They Told Me The Warranty Was Only 30 Days. Go With A Good Quality Humidor!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

If you do decide to fix it you might want to hit up a craft store and buy a small piece of chain to go between the side and top to keep it from going too far back.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #24
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

I feel bad for you man. I hope you can repair this or get the devil site to make it right.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:20 PM   #25
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Well, I got a response from cbid. They said that they didn't have any record of me ever buying the humidor from them and... am I even sure I bought it from them?!

So... I sent them pictures of the receipt/packing invoice AND I forwarded them the confirmation e-mail for the order. We'll see what they say. At this point, I'd like them to make this right for me since I do feel kind of gipped. That being said, I'm already kind of salivating over the waxing moon humidors. I, personally, really enjoy opening up a humidor and smelling that wonderful cigar/cedar smell. It's kind of part of the enjoyment for me and I don't think I'm ready to go utilitarian with the coolerdor.

Quote:
It also looks like you need some more sticks.
I agree... but that humidor is actually almost at capacity. The rest of my sticks were on the table getting inventoried. That's actually part of the draw of a new humidor. I measured out where I'd put it and I would go 19.5"X15.5"X12" and according to the waxing moon site it'd be an over 500 count humi I really had my eye on that wormy chestnut and Walnut look...

I appreciate all the input about doing my own repairs but I'm really doubtful of that being a long term solution. I'm going to see what happens with Cbid first and then go from there. In the meantime, the humidor does function just fine as a removable top humi... but it still makes me sad every time I have to open it that way. I don't want to start out my cigar enjoyment with disappointment.

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #26
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

Alk to Ed at waxing moon, I just received mine from him him and it's absolutely beautiful, you won't be disappointed
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #27
thecatch83

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I dont really think you have to scrap the idea of owning "anything nice in terms of a desktop" just because of one situation. I would say this is the exception, not the rule.

Many guys here have beautiful desktops that they have owned for years.
Very true! But I might add, that for every decent desktop humidor, there are twice as many inadequate models that do a terrible job at humidifying cigars. You get what you pay for certainly....but I don't think it's coincidental that most CA members in here highly recommend scrapping a traditional desktop humidor in favor of a bag of beads and a $50.00 cooler
Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #28
BloodSpite
He Who Dares...WINS!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (1)
HdM Army (Disabled Vet)
BloodSpite is on a distinguished road

If they make good let me know. I'll be happy to take the broken one off your hands and even slip you a buck or few to even out your loss.

I need a second unit frankly, and got no issue with fixing one.

Drop me a PM if it all goes to Hades!
BloodSpite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I Don't Think They Will, But GL! They Told Me The Warranty Was Only 30 Days.
Well, this was the case. Cbid said they can't process a return since it is outside the 30-day return policy. I wrote back telling them that I'm not looking for a return at this point. I'm looking for them to replace a defective product... there's a difference. I don't expect a different response from them but I think they do need to make this right in SOME way. I have a lot of good cigar buying years left in me and there's more than one cigar auction site out there these days. Unfortunately, they also might have gotten too big to care about their individual customers. I'll withold judgement until I see how this is ultimately resolved.

In the meantime, I'm covering my bases. I made contact with Ed at waxingwood to ask a question about dimensions on his humidors. If cbid doesn't make this right I won't be buying a substandard humidor again.

Randy

Last edited by alexa071; 03-03-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: addition
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #30
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatch83 View Post
..but I don't think it's coincidental that most CA members in here highly recommend scrapping a traditional desktop humidor in favor of a bag of beads and a $50.00 cooler
Most guys recommend scrapping a traditional desktop because of how quickly you can outgrow a humidor in this hobby.

Most guys go way too small when purchasing their first humidor, and quickly move on to a larger model, and when that is quickly outgrown they look for larger options.

Coolers are cost effective, durable, and typically have excellent seals, but can be bit of an eyesore. Desk-tops look nice, but are uni-taskers, typically more expensive, fragile (as in this case) and can have issues holding humidity.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #31
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's always nice to have a desktop humidor on display with some ready-to-smoke sticks in it. They look nice and add to the ambience of a room and also let people (who might not otherwise know) that you enjoy cigars.

A good cooler (or two) stuck in a corner somewhere are good for all your "overflow". Both the desktop and the cooler should be well stocked with beads

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #32
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It's always nice to have a desktop humidor on display with some ready-to-smoke sticks in it. They look nice and add to the ambience of a room and also let people (who might not otherwise know) that you enjoy cigars.

A good cooler (or two) stuck in a corner somewhere are good for all your "overflow". Both the desktop and the cooler should be well stocked with beads
My Feelings Exactly, Michael!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #33
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I have a traditional desktop humi (the one with the tobacco leaf on the lid). I decided that I'd buy it from the local B&M so that I could look at it, touch it, etc., before I bought it. I paid more for it than I could have gotten it for online, but I know that if something happens to it, the B&M will replace it.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #34
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
I have a traditional desktop humi (the one with the tobacco leaf on the lid). I decided that I'd buy it from the local B&M so that I could look at it, touch it, etc., before I bought it. I paid more for it than I could have gotten it for online, but I know that if something happens to it, the B&M will replace it.
Same for me and I have never regretted it. My loca B&M's treat me very well

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #35
thecatch83

B&M's are good!
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #36
nick2021
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (17)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
nick2021 is on a distinguished road

Man, sorry to hear...let us know how it goes with cbid...definitely look into a cooler...they're great and economical! You can save up for a nice cabinet or desktop humidor in the meantime!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #37
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
My Feelings Exactly, Michael!
I'm with Greg and Michael, I just switched to a cooler and though it is a eye sore it keeps my sticks at a constant 65% humidity and returns to 65 % even after leaving the lid up...best move I made in a long time.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #38
ABNMP619

I could not agree more. Talk to waxing moon. That dude makes some awesome looking humidors. Good Luck. Sorry about the crappy humidor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodSpite View Post
Time to talk to Waxing Moon!

Hoping to do the same thing myself once they ol Income tax comes in. Fortunately I haven't had this kind of problem with my 'dor yet. yesh! Thats a nightmare, good luck with the Devil!