Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #841
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

He made the team, but had a bad tryouts. That combined with the fact that the beat second year kids from the other two teams all defected to this team means he got the last spot on the roster. It's still the best team and the coach is amazing. In talking to coach he will play atleast 1/2 the games likely 3/4s.

The coach and I had a long talk. His skill level is on par with the second year kids, but his compete level disappears at times. Coach said this year will be about turning him into a leader and teaching him he.can't take any shifts off. He explained the fact that he's still 6 is a large part of his issue. The last tryout was a full ice game. Final score his team 16 other team 6. Second and third period they scored 10 goals. He had 2 or 3 goals, 3 assists and had probably 4 unconverted breakaways. First period and early second period he was a ghost and barely skated and you could see the coach was pissed. He hates when kids don't compete.

As to the inline team. Buddys dad talked to coach last night. He already has micah and his friend penciled in as forwards on one of the lines
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #842
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

So basically he made it, but the team is primarily 2nd years that are already 8 and a couple of first years that have been 7 for a while and have the great hockey birthdays. I am glad he will get to practice with this coach and the coach has a specific plan for him. I was frustrated at first, but stepped back and realized. He is a very young first year mite who made the best team in the area and will get a lot of great coaching.

This team is going to destroy every local team by a lot.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #843
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Tired? Hurting? I am sure a little of both.... First time I have ever seen him take shifts off(miss a rotation) by choice.... Arm was hanging....but he played well.

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #844
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Good picture.

Last night I had my first true wtf experience with travel mite hockey and really grasped why USA hockey says its a bad idea. Get a team email. The email is taking a head count of who would be interested in going to play in the All American Hockey Tournament in Phoenix AZ the first week of September. There are only 4 Guaranted games. Tourney fee is $1300 split over 15 kids plus its over 3 days so you would have 3 nights hotel and of course airfare as Phoenix is roughly 715 miles away.

You want to take these kids ranging in age from 6 -8 go 715 miles away to play in a tourney? I emailed right back and said couldnt make it. There are some people who want to go. When everything is said and done most familys would likely drop $1000. I could give my boy private skate lessons for a long time with that same money. I know travel is important, but get a grip.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #845
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Wow....that's nuts for 6-7 year old kids....
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #846
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

FINALLY! It has taken ? number of games to actually play great hockey this Summer.... Spacing, passing, movement, D.... The boys put it together tonight and put a beating on their opponent. The Little Man is still banged up, but having fun. Just an assist tonight, but I posted a photo sequence of his best offensive chance as well....

Love the smile, having fun!

Gets the goalie on his heels....

Has the open net....

...and slides it by.....

The assist was a nice 2-0 that he dumped to the kid he is celebrating with....

Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #847
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Didn't notice this post till now, but wasn't on much past week. As always beauty pics.

Practices have started for new team. They have their first exhibition game this Saturday. Game next Saturday. Tourney in LA at end of month. May do a local tourney instead.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 08-08-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #848
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

They won last Saturday. Kid had the assist on the game winner.
They have practice tonight. After practice they are scrimming the clubs squirt 1 team.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #849
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
They won last Saturday. Kid had the assist on the game winner.
They have practice tonight. After practice they are scrimming the clubs squirt 1 team.
Nice on the assist!

Look forward to hearing how the scrimmage goes.

At Powerskating with the Little One right now. Playoff game for the Big One this evening.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #850
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

High School Summer League Champs

Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #851
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Nice.

Friggin getting burnt already. This team is busy. Because the club and the rink are intertwined these kids are getting three practices a week. Tuesday, Friday and Sunday. Add in games usually on Saturday. He's practicing roller on Thursday. This Saturday theyre doing and all day cross ice tournament. Sunday he has a game against his team from last year.

Next weekend we are going down to LA to play the Jr Kings, Jr coyotes, and some team from San Diego I think. Wasn't going to go, but after talking to the coach we are going

Lastly the boy and his sister are now taking judo on Mondays.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #852
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

^^^^ Can't get burnt in August.... I am REALLY looking forward to your report from Sunday..... Tell Micah good luck this weekend and next weekend in LA!

I bet the balance and weight shifting/momentum stuff from judo would be very good cross training for almost every contact/semi-contact sport.... (total assumption, I have never even seen judo in person).

We had a whole week off! In fact, the Little One will have a little more time as she is between seasons and her private power skating lessons are on hiatus for a couple weeks due to them remaking the ice at our home ice center.

Jackson is going to be a shooter at the Jr. Grizzlies Goalie camp tonight and then he starts camp tomorrow. Timing is pretty good, being that the Summer HS season is over....
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #853
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Haven't even started the season and my kid broke his RS Stealth

Luckily they are still available online but I was hoping for a bigger price cut since it's over 2 years old now, still $190.00 yuk.

A guy at the pro shop at my kids rink today said that these high end sticks only have a projected life of around 20 shots at the NHL level. He also said that Ovechkin uses an intermediate stick cause he likes the lower flex. I've never heard the life span story before, or that some pros like the intermediate sticks. Anyone else heard that?

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #854
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

I am always surprised how fragile all the new sticks appear to be…..prices keep going up, sticks “appear” to break easier…. We went through a rough patch in the Spring/Early Summer, but have been good for a little bit. Hasn’t broke a stick since a Warrior Widow in mid July…. Now that I think about it, that’s just a month ago…. Well, I have not purchased a stick for a bit of time….that Widow was a present from his grandparents. Last one I purchased was a Sherwood N12 and he received a replacement on a Sherwood N12 on warranty & has had those two sticks for a bit.

Scott, if you are an IWin member at Icewarehouse, you can get the RS for $180 shipped... Free 2 day shipping, though think they only have the Hall curve in R.... I'm telling you, if you purchase online....you really need to get yourself an IWin membership... IW kicks soooooo much tail......IMO, there isn't an online store that comes close to them, not even close.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #855
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

For us in California its not as good deal. Totalhockey works out better.

As for Flex. It's documented Brett Hull used a 62-65 flex. Ovi and kesel also use very whippy sticks. Depends on style of play
Old 08-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #856
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Mike, how'd Micah's game go last night? Played his old team, right?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #857
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Yea, tax kills you CA guys at IW.... Even then, 10% makes that about even...
Old 09-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #858
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

7am game. After 1 period Cougars losing to Jr kings 4-2.
All I care about Micah had a goal in the first.

4-3 start of third. Shorthanded goal.

5-4
Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #859
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

5-5 Micah with 2 goals.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #860
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Awesome!!!! Go Micah!!!