Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default HELP. I can't get consistency in my Humi.

Well, as the Thread states, I either have really low (About 50% Humidity, which occurs most often) or high (Like 71% Humidity.) I've included Pictures of what I'm using, because I've almost literally no knowledge of what everything is called. I've been smoking for a couple years, but this has always been a huge problem. I humbly beg for help.

I've done the Dollar Bill test on the Humidor, and the seal seemed fine. But the Glass, and front part where the Hygrometer are could be the problem.

BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #2
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: HELP. I can't get consistency in my Humi.

The first question is did you do a salt test on your hygrometers?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

No. I thought the Xicar being digital would work without it. Lately I've had really hot burning Cigars, figured that was a sign of under-humidification?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks View Post
No. I thought the Xicar being digital would work without it. Lately I've had really hot burning Cigars, figured that was a sign of under-humidification?
That's step one of diagnosing your humi. You absolutely have to salt test your hygrometer. Doesn't matter if you just did it last week, it's absolutely critical.

I'm not sure when the dollar bill test came into being, but it really says absolutely nothing about whether the humi leaks or not. If you want to see all the places she's leaking, fill her up with distilled water and turn her over. You'll see exactly how bad she leaks and where.
At that point you can seal the glass with silicone and add some foam weather stripping and a latch and test it again.
If you can get the old girl water-tight, she's going to be air-tight. Period.
Good Luck, my man!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That's step one of diagnosing your humi. You absolutely have to salt test your hygrometer. Doesn't matter if you just did it last week, it's absolutely critical.

I'm not sure when the dollar bill test came into being, but it really says absolutely nothing about whether the humi leaks or not. If you want to see all the places she's leaking, fill her up with distilled water and turn her over. You'll see exactly how bad she leaks and where.
At that point you can seal the glass with silicone and add some foam weather stripping and a latch and test it again.
If you can get the old girl water-tight, she's going to be air-tight. Period.
Good Luck, my man!!!
Scott is very wise in this area, he recently did a great job sealing a huge cabinet

Also after you try this fill and flip test, your humi will be nice and humidified
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Calibrating the hygrometer is a starting point. Getting rid of all but one of those humidifiers is the second. Any ONE of them is sufficient for that size humidor. Sealing the glass top and the area around the built in hygrometer is the final step.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Oh I don't need a puck, and the gel beads? Interesting! I did the flip test. Needless to say I need to get some silicone... How would I seal the front hole where the hygrometer goes? It had a small leak. The glass was pretty bad though.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

There's always the option to get a solid (bigger) humidor. you could sell the one you have. The glass view is nice but I think most are prone to leaking.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

I am having somewhat of the same problem...it seems that the glass (all 4 sides of it) is just not the ideal situation for a humi, although I am having no problems with my cigars burning or otherwise. I am going to do a salt test shortly but all summer long I was running 68% and once winter hit, I started running around 55%-58% kinda a huge swing but it seems to happen every winter and I heard that this will happen during the winter months but that big of a swing sometimes worries me
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

I have the same humidor, and the biggest problem I had when I first got it was the seal around the glass top. Try some silicone seal around where the glass, and wood meet, same with around the analog hygrometer. You'll be set.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #11
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

I thought it was bad to soak the wood when trying to get your humi up to par?
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Oh I don't need a puck, and the gel beads? Interesting! I did the flip test. Needless to say I need to get some silicone... How would I seal the front hole where the hygrometer goes? It had a small leak. The glass was pretty bad though.
Just pull out the hygrometer, spooge it up with silicone and jam it back in. I generally put a piece of scotch tape over the hole in the back of the hygrometer, that way I can water test again after the silicone is dry.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
I thought it was bad to soak the wood when trying to get your humi up to par?
It completely depends on the construction of the humi.
The one we're dealing is laminate over composite. It's not even "real wood". It can't be harmed unless someone were to leave it full of water for days.
If you have a humi that's lined with real spanish cedar, say an 1/8" thick, then it's a different story. I'd attack that in another way altogether. I'd also consider what type of glue was used before I'd fill the humi with water. I'd set a fan up to dry the humidor after I wet it.

As a rule, distilled water doesn't harm spanish cedar, not a bit.
The reason why guys are told not to soak or spray their humidors is because if they do, then close it up and have a relative humidity at 80% or above (or standing puddles of water), mold will grow and stain the wood.
To make things simple, it's a lot easier just to say "don't do it".
Old 01-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I should also mention that there are step by step instruction threads here on how to fix and seal these kinds of humidors. I did a couple a long time ago but the pics are now gone. Someone else did one more recently, and for the life of me I can't remember who did it.
They should be in accessories discussion, I'd think.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
crazyirishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
There's always the option to get a solid (bigger) humidor. you could sell the one you have. The glass view is nice but I think most are prone to leaking.
Or if you wanted a project you could convert it using some Spanish cedar planks and hardwood...
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #16
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Looking at your original picture, I see five different types of humidification. Does the puck have a sponge or beads inside? If they are beads and you used your "Cigar Juice"(propylene glycol) to moisten them, then I am going to suggest you check the directions for the puck. Beads and gel should only be moistened with distilled water. PG solution will clog the pores of beads and render them useless.

Calibrate your hygrometer using the salt test shown in the stickies in the accessories forum.

Seal your humidor following Scott's suggestions or follow the thread in the accessories forum.

Choose one form of humidification. FWIW most of us here use either Scott's beads or heartfeltindustries.com beads. 1oz should be more than enough for that size humidor, but there is a calculator on the heartfelt site that will give you an idea of the amount needed.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #17
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Brian I have that exact same humi, the seal around the lid seem pretty good on mine. But the glass and hydrometer need sealing (on mine they were bad).
The hydrometer should come out easily by pushing on it from the inside. Just run a bead of silicone around it and pop it back it.
The glass was a little more tedious. The four pieces of cedar that butt up against the glass, I removed those with a pair of pliers (I put a clean shop rag over the wood so I wouldn't damage/mar it). They are held in with little brad nails. The glass will have a couple of spots of silicone on it, it wasn't easy to get loose, but it's tough glass. I just cut away what silicone I could get to, closed the lid and pushed down on the glass, it'll come out.
Run a good bead of silicone all the way around the inside lip (where the glass sits). At this point I let mine sit for 3 days so the silicone could cure and the smell dissipate. I have a brad nailer so putting the wooden strips back in was easy, you could glue them I suppose.
If you don't want to take the lid apart, the only option would be to silicone it from the outside, which for me, wouldn't look as nice.

Good luck brother!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #18
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It completely depends on the construction of the humi.
The one we're dealing is laminate over composite. It's not even "real wood". It can't be harmed unless someone were to leave it full of water for days.
If you have a humi that's lined with real spanish cedar, say an 1/8" thick, then it's a different story. I'd attack that in another way altogether. I'd also consider what type of glue was used before I'd fill the humi with water. I'd set a fan up to dry the humidor after I wet it.

As a rule, distilled water doesn't harm spanish cedar, not a bit.
The reason why guys are told not to soak or spray their humidors is because if they do, then close it up and have a relative humidity at 80% or above (or standing puddles of water), mold will grow and stain the wood.
To make things simple, it's a lot easier just to say "don't do it".
Gotcha. I just got mine in the mail today from Cbid and have 2 small bowls of distilled in there along with the 2 pucks it came with..hoping for good results. Appreciate the clarification!
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

SP CoastGuard (Active)

Wow thank you all!
So do you or don't you need to salt test a digital hygrometer?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
colinb913
Workin' at a Cigar Shop

First Name: Colin
Trading: (1)
Partagas
colinb913 is on a distinguished road

Yes you need to salt test it.