Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #81
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: any cyclists/roadies?

A buddy of mine had a D6 before he bought his Giant Trinity Advanced and he said it was an awesome bike. He also mentioned its fantastic if you have T-Rex arms and to translate into english it has a short top tube so a shorter reach. As for the Kestrel, I've test ridden a few and thought they were all complete noodles (not stiff at all). If I remember correctly they're both made in the same factory...
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #82
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opusfxd View Post
You'd think that it would be that easy. I took my TT bike in because I couldn't get the rear deraileaur working 100% so I took it to one of the bigger LBS's and the guy took it behind the shop and the first thing he did was pop the seat post up higher to fit in his clamp. My jaw dropped, I had about 90 minutes till I had a start time and he did this?

After my warm up on my road bike on site, I rode to the bathroom on the TT bike and noticed the seat slipping down (after having to adjust it and guessing). I tightened it up but in the adrenalin laden process (15 minutes to start) the seat clamp broke! I had to get my backup off the trainer, swap wheels, etc. and make it to the start.

That's why I'm nervous.
Stupid @ss mechanic is what you had there. First off if you're going to adjust it you need to tape the position if its not already taped. Second you NEED to torque down the bolt properly so you don't have the same issue you did with the seatpost sliding down. Thats why its very rare that I allow my bike out of my sight if I'm at a bike shop i'm unfamiliar with.
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #83
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
A buddy of mine had a D6 before he bought his Giant Trinity Advanced and he said it was an awesome bike. He also mentioned its fantastic if you have T-Rex arms and to translate into english it has a short top tube so a shorter reach. As for the Kestrel, I've test ridden a few and thought they were all complete noodles (not stiff at all). If I remember correctly they're both made in the same factory...
Hmmmmm...I'm 6'4", and normally about 205, but was hovering around 201 for my half iron last year, and I do actually have long arms. Guess I just need to get on them and see what seems to work better for me. But at least I'd have an idea of what to expect. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #84
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarGuy88 View Post
Going smaller is hard to recommend mainly because the dimensions of the frame could change to the point where its impossible to get to the proper position. Going too big, or going too small, you can be screwed either way
Being relative on frames that increasing by 1 cm, but that is becoming rarer with sloping geometry that I am not too fond of. Sold my Fondriest because I did not care for the semi sloping frame. Call me old school, or just old...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #85
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
You did not have any score marks where your seat post normally is?
Not on THAT bike - THEN. Nail polish is my fav to use.
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #86
Wanger

Quote:
Teed up....I'll take the swing...

Do you match the polish to your fingernails on race day?
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #87
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
A common practice is to put electrical tape right where the post meets the clamp to make it an easy adjustment.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #88
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanger View Post
Teed up....I'll take the swing...

Do you match the polish to your fingernails on race day?
Depends on what kit I'm wearing.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #89
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
A common practice is to put electrical tape right where the post meets the clamp to make it an easy adjustment.
As is the common practice of not jacking with someone's setup.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #90
Wanger

Installed my Speedplay Zero's yesterday. Did a quick ride around the neighborhood, and they felt great. Bike goes in tomorrow for an annual tuneup (still not completely up to speed on annual maintenance, but can do enough to keep it riding well through the year), so I won't be able to get a good ride in for a few days. Will probably schedule a tri bike fitting when I bring the road bike in.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #91
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
As is the common practice of not jacking with someone's setup.
If you have to clamp the seatpost, what can you do? I use the Euro style Park stand, but no LBS's use them. I'd rather have them move the seat post than dent the frame trying to clamp there. Often many adjustments can be done with the bike just hanging from the seat on top of the clamp.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #92
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Bolivar

Quote:
If you have to clamp the seatpost, what can you do? I use the Euro style Park stand, but no LBS's use them. I'd rather have them move the seat post than dent the frame trying to clamp there. Often many adjustments can be done with the bike just hanging from the seat on top of the clamp.
There was room.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #93
Wanger

Update...went for a nice ride on Tuesday. Definitely like the Speedplay pedals more than I did the SPD-SLs I used to ride with.

And...

had a fitting for a tri bike last night. Tried both the Fuji and the Kestrel. Just couldn't do the Fuji. It's sexier than the Kestrel, but they couldn't get the reach and stem to work for me in a comfortable position. When the fitter had me on the Kestrel (after the Fuji), he said I looked more comfortable, and I did actually feel more comfortable, too. He said that I was in a good riding position naturally on the Kestrel. It doesn't hurt that it was cheaper, either. LOL The Fuji ran SRAM components, and the Kestrel has Shimano 105s. Looking forward to gettting it home tonight, and hopefully out for a ride soon.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #94
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
There was room.
My seatpost is high enough for any clamp and it's the plain carbon Record post; so just round. Usually they just have my bike balance on the clamp under the saddle itself. I can't say for other brands, but Campy needs very little adjustments once it's set up.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #95
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Here's a good cleaning tip:

Buy a single speed hub with no rim and put that on bike when it's time to clean. It makes getting around the rear triangle a breeze and speeds up cleaning the chain.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #96
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Our kits are shipping for the MS150. It is actually the first kit I'll ever sport, never actually had one. We have two jerseys, not sure if they will just be 2 of the same or different, this was just a sneak peek of what is shipping. My mother has lived with MS for the better part of 45 years, thought I better ride one of these.....

E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #97
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Our kits are shipping for the MS150. It is actually the first kit I'll ever sport, never actually had one. We have two jerseys, not sure if they will just be 2 of the same or different, this was just a sneak peek of what is shipping. My mother has lived with MS for the better part of 45 years, thought I better ride one of these.....

Good for you, EJ!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #98
Wanger

And I just realized that I haven't posted a pic of the new ride yet. Been loving riding it so far. Very light and responsive. Much more comfortable than the road bike was, which I'm keeping as a trainer/recreational riding bike. I think I should probably take the roadie in and get it formally fitted at some point.

Here's the new baby the day I brought her home. Reflectors were removed shortly after. LOL

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #99
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Odd looking saddle. Is that Tri specific?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #100
Infecting Via PM

First Name: Brendon
Trading: (35)
RA
363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about363 has a spectacular aura about

My Goodness, this forum just gets better and better!

I go through phases of hyper focusing on something and cycling was my last hobby and i guess still kinda is. It's hard to devote time to it now that I have a 1 year old and a wife that works a lot of nights and weekends. But after seeing this I wanna get my road bike put back together and get the trailer my uncle gave me hooked up to my fixed speed so I can take my daughter up to play by the lake. I get exercise/ride-time plus get to take my girl places, it seems a win win in my book.
363 is offline   Reply With Quote