Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough
Default 1st attempt at smoking/grilling ribs tomorrow

Well tomorrow night I'm going to make my 1st attempt at smoking/grilling ribs. Ribs are one of my favorite foods to eat, however cooking them is tricky, especially when you have a gas grill. Here is my method, please jump in and give me any advice if you think it would work better.

I have the rack marinating right now and will do so until tomorrow evening. I have a smoke box that will have a half and half mix of pre-soaked chips and dry chips (mesquite). I'm going to put the chips on and fire the grill up to about 600 degrees, then kill the left and center burners and bring it down to about 300. I'm going to put the ribs on the far left burner, and move them after an hour, flipping them and putting them on the center. Then in a half hour, flip again and move back to the left side. I'm guessing this method will take about two hours. I'll be basting them with my marinade each time I move them while also adding chips to the smoke box. With about 10 minutes left, I'll add the sauce.

If anyone has any pointers, please chime in. I'm a novice at the whole smoking on a gas grill thing. In a few months I'm going to buy a real smoker, but until then I'm going to have to play with a smoke box.
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: 1st attempt at smoking/grilling ribs tomorrow

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, no experience with a smoke box -- good luck though Ian. I hope they come out .
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmmm this is like asking some one what's the best cigar. How I do mine...

1. Dry rub, wrap in cello for 24 hours.
2. 235 - 245* for 2 - 6 hoursdepending on my patience. Off to the side with no direct heat. Smoke box with mesquite (stronger smoke) next to the hot burner.
3. If your looking - your not cooking. Every time you open the grill, you lose 10 min of cooking time. Go smoke a cigar.
4. First flip at the 1.5 - 2 hour mark. Keep cooking...
5. If you like them wet, last 5 min put your sauce on. Flip and reapply 5 min later. I prefer mine dry.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Not a bad plan at all and it sounds about right. The only thing I would suggest is to drop the mesquite. It is great on beef... but much too strong for ribs IMO.

If you want fall off the bone ribs, cook like you said but don't add the sauce. Add an additional 1/2 hour double wrapped in foil with some apple juice. Then open them up, put your sauce on and cook for 15 more minutes.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post

2. 235 - 245* for 2 - 6 hoursdepending on my patience. Off to the side with no direct heat. Smoke box with mesquite (stronger smoke) next to the hot burner.
3. If your looking - your not cooking. Every time you open the grill, you lose 10 min of cooking time. Go smoke a cigar.
5. If you like them wet, last 5 min put your sauce on. Flip and reapply 5 min later. I prefer mine dry.
I have just started grilling this year. I will try this method next weekend. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Only pointer I can offer is to put a nice rub on em before ya smoke em and to keep the temp in the smoking chamber =< 350 and taker yer time so ya don't dry em out.... PM Smokin Gator for some last minute tips(I may be off on the temps)..... that man can make some BBQ/Ribs... I've had some of his creations.... VERY good.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
St. Lou Stu
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tim
Trading: (21)
HdM
St. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the roughSt. Lou Stu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
Not a bad plan at all and it sounds about right. The only thing I would suggest is to drop the mesquite. It is great on beef... but much too strong for ribs IMO.

If you want fall off the bone ribs, cook like you said but don't add the sauce. Add an additional 1/2 hour double wrapped in foil with some apple juice. Then open them up, put your sauce on and cook for 15 more minutes.
How's Cherry Brent? That wood has always caught my interest.

Pretending to play golf since 1989
St. Lou Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
GrumpyOleTroll
Not Crazy enuff to B Here

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Navy (Served With Honor)
GrumpyOleTroll has disabled reputation

Good Luck!!

I did 2 racks this weekend and they turned out great!

I just put a dry rub on them an hr before I put them in the smoker and smoked them for 6 hrs or so @ 250-275.

The meat just fell off the bone and my family LOVED them.

Everyone has thier own ideas so just try out what works best for you!

Enjoy!

Shawn
Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post

This method sounds like it'll work. They won't dry out not being based but every 1.5 - 2 hrs?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:05 PM   #10
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Step 1: Call Adam to come over
Step 2: Cook ribs while Adam smokes cigars
Step 3: Adam eats your ribs and drinks beer

Old 05-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Step 1: Call Adam to come over
Step 2: Cook ribs while Adam smokes cigars
Step 3: Adam eats your ribs and drinks beer

Step 4: Ian and wife get mad because they have no food and Adam is full which = fail.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
Step 4: Ian and wife get mad because they have no food and Adam is full which = fail.
Oh, did I mention you are providing the cigars and beer too?
Old 05-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Opusfxd
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (5)
Bolivar
Opusfxd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, no experience with a smoke box -- good luck though Ian. I hope they come out .
Does this mean you upgraded from Kraft and the oven too?
Opusfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #14
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlueSooner View Post
I have just started grilling this year. I will try this method next weekend. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
This method sounds like it'll work. They won't dry out not being based but every 1.5 - 2 hrs?
This bbq link has my recipie and how I do both ribs and london broils. Thank you Emeril The bourbon sauce is outstanding!

As to the drying out... that is the purpose of the low heat. BBQing and grilling are 2 totally different techniques. Grilling = meat over the flames and high heat, BBQing = low heat and off to the side. The Pros actually do their ribs as much as 18 hours this way. The long time is more critical if you leave the membrane on the back side of the ribs (I do, I let the heat break it down).

Like I said, I like mine a little drier, but use the sauce in my link before and after for ribs when cooking for others. The thought of dumping commercial BBQ sauce on something I just spent rubbing and cooking for so long... just doesn't work.

Again, way too many ways to cook on the grill. Just try and see what works. For those coming to the NN Herf this weekend I am bringing a london broil to cook. 2 if more get on the list.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu View Post
How's Cherry Brent? That wood has always caught my interest.
Is this a set up?? To quote a deceased classic Qer... any wood is fine as long as it is cherry!!!

Seriously though, if you can get it cherry is my hands down favorite for pork.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #16
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Gauge your temp at grate level. Don't rely on on the built-in grill cover temp gauge which can indicate significantly higher temps......unless you know the diff and can somewhat compensate.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

# 1, I would use Hickory or Applewood, not mesquite.
2: Get the fire going but no need to get up to $600 just to back it down, you'll waste fuel. Get it hot enough to where the chips start smoking and put the ribs down on indirect heat when the grill is at 250. Let it go for 2 hours, then flip, let it go another two hours, then flip and apply sauce if wanted (I do them dry). You may also want to put a metal pan full of water, apple juice or something to keep the air inside the smoker moist. Do NOT open and close the lid of the grill or play with the ribs. If you want to play with your meat, there are other places to do so, not on the grill.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #18
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
# 1, I would use Hickory or Applewood, not mesquite.
2: Get the fire going but no need to get up to $600 just to back it down, you'll waste fuel. Get it hot enough to where the chips start smoking and put the ribs down on indirect heat when the grill is at 250. Let it go for 2 hours, then flip, let it go another two hours, then flip and apply sauce if wanted (I do them dry). You may also want to put a metal pan full of water, apple juice or something to keep the air inside the smoker moist. Do NOT open and close the lid of the grill or play with the ribs. If you want to play with your meat, there are other places to do so, not on the grill.
I meant 600 degrees, not $600. not paying attention this morning.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #19
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Sounds good, I'll do this. I'm wanting to eat around 6pm, so I'll start by around 2pm. Can't wait to see how it all comes out.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #20
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

Cohiba

Need to find a place with some hickory or applewood now though.... Home Depot only had mesquite....