Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #5661
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Anyone do their own reloading? I've looked into it before. Thinking about a lee turret press and wanted to know other peoples thoughts on reloading
Old 04-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #5662
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

I've reloaded for about a year, only pistol cartridges so far, and only using a Lee turret press.

I enjoy it. It takes time though, and right now finding components is almost as hard as finding loaded ammo. If you want to reload just because you can't find ammo, I'd suggest sit tight and wait it out. If you want a new hobby, go for it. Expect about $150 or so to get in the game, plus components. You CAN buy everything online (when it's in-stock), but powder and primers will come with a $27 hazmat fee on top of regular shipping charges, so you'll probably want to see if any of your local shops have those supplies.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #5663
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
I've reloaded for about a year, only pistol cartridges so far, and only using a Lee turret press.

I enjoy it. It takes time though, and right now finding components is almost as hard as finding loaded ammo. If you want to reload just because you can't find ammo, I'd suggest sit tight and wait it out. If you want a new hobby, go for it. Expect about $150 or so to get in the game, plus components. You CAN buy everything online (when it's in-stock), but powder and primers will come with a $27 hazmat fee on top of regular shipping charges, so you'll probably want to see if any of your local shops have those supplies.
Awesome thanks mark! A year ago I was looking into reloading for a hobby and it makes even more sense with ammo being so over priced now. If I can find parts that is
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #5664
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
Anyone do their own reloading? I've looked into it before. Thinking about a lee turret press and wanted to know other peoples thoughts on reloading

Yes, I have reloaded for 20ish years on all forms and varieties of presses. I load rifle/pistol (including obsolete cartridges)

Please ask what you'd like and I'll attempt to answer it.

Lee Turret is a ok press.

What calibers do you plan to load and how many a month?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #5665
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

For now just 9mm which I do realize won't be a huge money saver once prices come down. But I feel like it would be a relaxing hobby at the end of a long day. (I like hobbies like this I paint warhammer figures, models things like that). I was wondering what a good press would be for starters? I don't need to mass produce rounds or anything just enough to let's rip a few off now and then at the range.

On a side note: walmarts are stashing ammo behind the desks or in back. Go and ask to speak with a store manager. Make sure its a store manager not a floor manager or anyone else. Go to walmart.com amd get the cpu code (not sure if they are different but in my region its 0002946506087) and ask if they are in stock. I went to a local wally world during my lunch break and the gentlemen incharge of the sporting goods section was very nice told me the delivery schedule and that yes, a lot of walmarts are stashing ammo out of sight. Max of 3 boxes a day per person.

Edit: that cpu code is for 9mm
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #5666
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
I've been seriously looking into getting an AK47, Zastava M70 or similar. They seem to be right around $1,000 at this point in time. Anyone know what a fair price for a new AK from the Zastava factory would be? I'm tempted to just buy one now, but if prices will be falling soon I can wait.
I'd wait for as couple of reasons

1. Prices should be falling in the near future

2. Most of the ammo is imported...an EO from the POTUS can prohibit future importation of it.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #5667
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Does anyone here use gunbroker for ammo? They seem to be the only place where you can get ammo
Don't use GB for any purchases, That site is just for entertainment (IMO). I don't know about where you are at but here you just have to look around for ammo. Try Armslist or outdoorstrader if you want to over pay to "have it now" but it is still WAY better than GB.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #5668
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Don't use GB for any purchases, That site is just for entertainment (IMO). I don't know about where you are at but here you just have to look around for ammo. Try Armslist or outdoorstrader if you want to over pay to "have it now" but it is still WAY better than GB.
Is your problem with GB just high prices or something else?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #5669
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Is your problem with GB just high prices or something else?
Just the insane prices, Nothing more.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #5670
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
Just the insane prices, Nothing more.
That's after the lunacy that started in December.
Prior to that, there were always great deals there.
Best ammo prices anywhere at the time if you were patient and nailed the right one.
Now? I agree, overpriced but that is due to the folks willing to pay it.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #5671
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Man in having a hard time selling my xd9 here in N. Cali I might have to try armslist.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #5672
0002S
Alla En El Rancho Grande

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
Montecristo
0002S will become famous soon enough0002S will become famous soon enough

Quote:
For now just 9mm which I do realize won't be a huge money saver once prices come down. But I feel like it would be a relaxing hobby at the end of a long day. (I like hobbies like this I paint warhammer figures, models things like that). I was wondering what a good press would be for starters? I don't need to mass produce rounds or anything just enough to let's rip a few off now and then at the range.
All you need is any single stage "O" style press. RCBS, LEE, Hornady will all work fine.

THIS:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646...ess-master-kit

Above is an example of all you'll need. Just add 9mm dies/shellholder, brass, powder, bullets, small pistol primers, and a good reloading manual.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #5673
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
All you need is any single stage "O" style press. RCBS, LEE, Hornady will all work fine.

THIS:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/646...ess-master-kit

Above is an example of all you'll need. Just add 9mm dies/shellholder, brass, powder, bullets, small pistol primers, and a good reloading manual.
I was looking at that one earlier today. My buddy said I should save the money and go straight for the dillon 550b. He said ill adventually want one sooner or later. The reviews on itare all aamazing. But is it one of those tools you need experience to use kinda things?
Old 04-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5674
Steelerfanatic
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (7)
RA Navy (Served With Honor)
Steelerfanatic is on a distinguished road

Picked up a Keltec KSG today for below MSRP . Can't wait to take this out and shoot.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #5675
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfanatic View Post
Picked up a Keltec KSG today for below MSRP . Can't wait to take this out and shoot.

I'd love to get a hold of one of those! Great pickup!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #5676
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammondc View Post
Range ammo as in name brand ball ammo or re-loads? Ball ammo is fine for self defense if you do not have any dedicated defense ammo. Better that rocks . Although it does not expand, ball ammo still helps evacuate blood as quickly as possible .
Pretty sure my Range does their own reloads for range use. I was just thinking of a way to load up on cheap ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
If you're looking for just some cheap plinking ammo than it should be ok. Some ranges down load their ammo (if it's made in house) so it doesn't damage house rentals and saves on powder. If it's made in house maybe you can talk to the reloader about buying in bulk.
Yup, just want some for use away from my local range. No need to pay premium (if I can ever find any) for defense ammo when I'm just gonna waste it shooting at cans and targets in a field.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #5677
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Quote:
I was looking at that one earlier today. My buddy said I should save the money and go straight for the dillon 550b. He said ill adventually want one sooner or later. The reviews on itare all aamazing. But is it one of those tools you need experience to use kinda things?
I use my friends dillon, I think it's the 550. The thing is amazing I don't think I'll ever want to use a single stage press ever, I can't even imagine how slow and cumbersome it could be. He did learn on a single stage (if I'm using he term correctly) he said that it taught him to be patient and how to properly reload.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #5678
big pete
Going to the darkside....

Trading: (20)
PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybear4CORT View Post
Man in having a hard time selling my xd9 here in N. Cali I might have to try armslist.
More info? I may have a friend that's interested.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #5679
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I picked up my complete PSA lower on gunbroker a couple of weeks ago for $300.

Pretty reasonable price IMO for a respected brand I saw higher prices for Frontier lowers.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #5680
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfanatic View Post

Man, pleases share how you managed to pull that off at below MSRP.
Please!!! Pretty Please!!!