Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
TonyAngels

Default Hopefully I can get some help in cigar choice

Hey guys I'm not really new to smoking cigars been doing it now for bout 5 years but what I really want to do now is really get down into it all if any of you follow me you will probably see me posting threads over the next few days asking stuff like what really makes a great cigar stuff to be looking for when smoking them and other tips that will make every smoke more pleasurable but for now and for this threads purposes I'm looking to find myself a budgetable cigar that I can smoke on a daily basis preferably with my favorite whiskey. I was hoping to find something for around 5-6 bucks with good flavor and a brand that I can move up with and try their more expensive cigars. I was hoping to maybe find an Ashton for around that price. Also I'm getting my new humidor tomorrow it's and Ashton humidor my tobacconist recommend it and swears by them if anyone has and reviews on them or if anyone can tell me the best way to season it I would appreciate any and all feedback and of course I'm really hoping to get help with finding an everyday smoke. Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hopefully I can get some help in cigar choice

Sounds like a lot of reading around here would benefit you immensely. Tons of information to help you along your journey, start with the "Stickies" and then read some posts on your questions. This way you won't need to ask a ton of questions that have already been answered. As for cigar suggestions, smoke everything and find what fits your tastes, no one can find a cigar you will like for you without knowing you personal tastes.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

There are alot of good sticks around the price you talked about. Brick house or the 601 lines. Padron brown labels should be $5-7 and the higerend ones go up to around $35. The best thing you could do is somke as many different brands you can get your hands on to find out what you like best and go from there.

As for seasoning it check out this sticky: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
TonyAngels

Well that's one of my questions what should I be looking for on a great cigar like what flavors should I be looking for I know woody tastes and some have a somewhat spice type taste I really want to get the most out of every smoke I feel like if I knew what to look for die find it easier and it would help me find my favorite cigars
Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
Well that's one of my questions what should I be looking for on a great cigar like what flavors should I be looking for I know woody tastes and some have a somewhat spice type taste I really want to get the most out of every smoke I feel like if I knew what to look for die find it easier and it would help me find my favorite cigars
The only way to find YOUR favorite cigar is for YOU to smoke them. To some people a great cigar can be had for $3, some people will only find $15+ cigars to be great. Thats the beauty of this hobby, there are so many cigars out there for so many tastes.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Neens
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (21)
Montecristo
Neens will become famous soon enough

What flavors you should be looking for are what flavors you like. I know it sounds odd but some people like grassy/barnyard smokes, others chocolate. If like peppery smokes try some of the don pepin garcia blues. If you post an intro in the New Inmate Processing Area here, http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7 theres a noob sampler you can sign up for. That may help you find something you may like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
The only way to find YOUR favorite cigar is for YOU to smoke them. To some people a great cigar can be had for $3, some people will only find $15+ cigars to be great. Thats the beauty of this hobby, there are so many cigars out there for so many tastes.
couldn't have said it better myself.
Neens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

At the risk of being redundant:

Don't look for specific flavors, just find cigars that you enjoy. If you can pick out certain flavors, great! If not, no big deal. A major part of this hobby is exploring and trying many, many different cigars to find the ones you like. It's a never ending journey but it sure is a fun ride.

Always remember, taste is subjective. What you will like, many will not. What many like, you may not.

The next time you visit your shop, start at one end of the shelf and start working your way around the humidor, trying everything. You mentioned Ashton. Start there and try every cigar they offer. (Ashton, VSG's, La Aroma de Cuba, Benchmade, San Cristobal) Then, do the same with other brands.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
TonyAngels

When seasoning my humidor i read that link I was sent my question is won't the humidor grow mold if I leave a bowl of distiller water in it with the top closed for 14 days?especially with all the hot weather here on long island
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #9
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

If it does grow mold, better send it back due to inferior materials!!! Spanish cedar has very good humidity absorption qualities, and is very resistant to mold. That's why they line most humidors with it!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Another vote for San Cristobal.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
TonyAngels

Smoked an Arturo Fuente today and I love it very excited to try some other a. fuente's any suggestions preferably some that are not complete bank breakers
Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Hemmingway short story, Flor Fina 898, Curly head, Double Chateau Maduro,Sun grown cuban belicoso
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #13
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAngels View Post
Hey guys I'm not really new to smoking cigars been doing it now for bout 5 years but what I really want to do now is really get down into it all if any of you follow me you will probably see me posting threads over the next few days asking stuff like what really makes a great cigar stuff to be looking for when smoking them and other tips that will make every smoke more pleasurable but for now and for this threads purposes I'm looking to find myself a budgetable cigar that I can smoke on a daily basis preferably with my favorite whiskey. I was hoping to find something for around 5-6 bucks with good flavor and a brand that I can move up with and try their more expensive cigars. I was hoping to maybe find an Ashton for around that price. Also I'm getting my new humidor tomorrow it's and Ashton humidor my tobacconist recommend it and swears by them if anyone has and reviews on them or if anyone can tell me the best way to season it I would appreciate any and all feedback and of course I'm really hoping to get help with finding an everyday smoke. Thanks in advance
Welcome to the asylum!

1. I haven't read the other comments (well, not all of them) so I may repeat stuff.
2. What makes a good cigar is whether or not it tastes good TO YOU.
3. Find what you like, thinking $5-6 is perfect, I have plenty of expensive smokes, but my "daily smokers" are all $2-3 IF THAT. Check out samplers, and find what you like.
4. Buy online,it's cheaper.
5. Reading around here is amazing, I learned sooo much in my first week.
6. In the online community grammar, punctuation, capitalization, and the space-bar are your friends!

just out of curiosity, how have you smoked for 5 years, and don't quite know what you like? I would think you would have found something(s) by now?

Oh yeah...

7. Smoke what you like. Like what you smoke.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:26 AM   #14
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

And while you are at it, buy yourself some COMMAS, lol. Aint you never heard o punctuation, boy?

F-ing Flounder beat me to it.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
TonyAngels

The reason I Havnt found what I like is because I had to stop for almost two years for health reasons. Before that I used to smoke la flors, my favorite being the coronado. I just recently pick up smoking again and prices have gone up and economy down so now I'm looking for some new stuff to try and get into. Said now I'm really liking the arturo fluente's.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

I love Fuentes, and about 60% of the Rocky Patels. Flor de Olivas are great smokes for cheap. And there is a "Cheap smoke" thread for good smokes for cheap... I'll link to it in a sec...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643

VIOLA!
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote: