Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice needed - Daughter thinking about service

Turning to my brothers and sisters for some advice here. I am not very well versed about the military. My dad had a kidney disease and couldn't serve. My brother just missed the Vietnam draft. Other than back in WWII etc few in my family have served.

My daughter is a junior in college. She has really done well and is a semester ahead of schedule to graduate. She is majoring in International Studies and has always wanted to work for the government. Her dream job has always been at an embassy in Western Europe. She is a great kid, has never been a problem, works a job, goes to school full time... just a joy to have as a daughter.

About a month ago she calls and asks me what I think about her going into the service after she graduates. I told her I thought that would be a great idea and that I would be very proud of her.

She goes and talks to a recruiter and he kind of sells her on flying. She has terrible eyesight and I told her she needed to go back and talk to them about areas in intelligence.

She had a couple of hour meeting with a Marine recruiter last week and has some info on intelligence positions in the Marines. I told here she needs to talk to other branches as well.

I am so ignorant about this whole thing I can't even hold a conversation on it... I would like to offer some guidance but don't have the knowledge. I know some of you do... so help me here brothers and sisters.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Advice needed - Daughter thinking about servic

Tell her to also consider the U.S. Coast Guard. I served for 21 years and while it has focused more on its law enforcement and wartime missions over the past 15 years, it is still a humanitarian service at heart and that is what still attracts most people to the service.

It's also a small service and that means just about everyone gains experience in all the missions. I was involved in everything from arctic icebreaking, search and rescue, environmental clean-up, maritime safety, law enforcement and military readiness. It all depends on the main mission of the units you get assigned to.

It was a good career and I only retired because I was being transferred to Washington, D.C.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin gator View Post
her dream job has always been at an embassy in western europe.
Where is Chen when you need him?? He was taking the FSO exam.....
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
theycallmedan'lboone

If she is set on flying, HOLY CRAP NOLAN RYAN IS FAT!, sorry he was on espn... if she is set on flying The United States AF is the way to go, however you mentioned bad eyesight, pretty much a no go.
The AF is going to be much more.. like a corporate job, office mostly, cake hours(mostly) easy deployments(mostly) I have several friends, officer and enlisted in the Intel field and they love it.
Army is going to be like the Army, and can't really speak for it other than, what I've heard/witnessed.
*** make sure she uses her degree***whatever that means officer, higher enlisted rank, she earned it, use it.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone View Post
If she is set on flying The United States AF is the way to go, however you mentioned bad eyesight, pretty much a no go.
I think she realizes that there is no way she is going to be flying. I really don't even think she would want to. I think it just sounded neat for a little while. I think she realizes that with her languages (she speaks Spanish, French, some Italian, and some German) along with the International Studies degree that intelligence is a good fit. She also has pretty good technical/computer skills.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 AM   #6
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I think she realizes that with her languages (she speaks Spanish, French, some Italian, and some German) along with the International Studies degree that intelligence is a good fit. She also has pretty good technical/computer skills.
No sh*t??

screw Intel....point her towards CA/PSYOPS.

No kidding.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
No sh*t??

screw Intel....point her towards CA/PSYOPS.

No kidding.
Sorry to be so ignorant... but what is that?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:

She had a couple of hour meeting with a Marine recruiter last week and has some info on intelligence positions in the Marines. I told here she needs to talk to other branches as well.
I can only give you the Marine perspective on this issue. Being a prior recruiter in the Marine Corps myself, he can not promise her anything unless it's in writing!!!! She wants to speak to the OSO (Officer Selection Office). If you have a degree, see the OSO, and decide to join then you'll be accepting what we know to be a commissioning. Officers get commissioned in the military. Downfall with the Marines is that you can have a degree in Biochemist Engineering and end up being commissioned in Supply.

If she wants to go enlisted (99% are usually high school grads) then she can get more of an AREA of what she qualifies for....not an exact job. For example, I enlisted in '96 under Communications. I could have been a Radioman, or a satellite operator but I ended up becoming a switchboard operator. Not my choice but I chose Communications, not the exact job.

I would advise her from my position to look into federal positions where she is more prone to use her degree and do what she really wants to do.

The federal government has a program called STEP (Student Temporary Employment Program). It is for individuals in school who can apply for part/full time jobs while currently in school. Upon graduation she can directly get hired by that federal agency if she likes and has more opportunity and has a foot in the door.

Feel free to PM me for any more info on questions you may have.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
tobii3

my apologies...I've been in since G-d was a Corporal...

CA - Civil Affairs

Quote:
According to the U.S. Army, "Civil Affairs units help military commanders by working with civil authorities and civilian populations in the commander’s area of operations to lessen the impact of military operations on them during peace, contingency operations and declared war." With their expertise in civil matters, they are the principle unit in assisting a commander in the conduct of civil-military operations.
PSYOPS

Quote:
Psychological Operations (PSYOP, PSYOPS) are techniques used by military and police forces to influence a target audience's value systems, belief systems, emotions, motives, reasoning, and behavior. Target audiences can be governments, organizations, groups, and individuals, and are used in order to induce confessions, or reinforce attitudes and behaviors favorable to the originator's objectives.
Hope that helps!!!

Last edited by tobii3; 02-17-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: my keyboard, of course
Old 02-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post
I can only give you the Marine perspective on this issue. Being a prior recruiter in the Marine Corps myself, he can not promise her anything unless it's in writing!!!! She wants to speak to the OSO (Officer Selection Office). If you have a degree, see the OSO, and decide to join then you'll be accepting what we know to be a commissioning. Officers get commissioned in the military. Downfall with the Marines is that you can have a degree in Biochemist Engineering and end up being commissioned in Supply.

If she wants to go enlisted (99% are usually high school grads) then she can get more of an AREA of what she qualifies for....not an exact job. For example, I enlisted in '96 under Communications. I could have been a Radioman, or a satellite operator but I ended up becoming a switchboard operator. Not my choice but I chose Communications, not the exact job.

I would advise her from my position to look into federal positions where she is more prone to use her degree and do what she really wants to do.

The federal government has a program called STEP (Student Temporary Employment Program). It is for individuals in school who can apply for part/full time jobs while currently in school. Upon graduation she can directly get hired by that federal agency if she likes and has more opportunity and has a foot in the door.

She is definitely not going in until after she has her degree. She is going to a University in France this summer. When she gets back she will only have about 20 hours left to finish her bachelors.

I will have her look into the STEP program. Thanks for the help offer. I am sure I will PM you as I have more questions.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
Smoking Dragon
formerly sergeant smoky

First Name: John
Trading: (67)
Cohiba Army (Disabled Vet)
Smoking Dragon has a spectacular aura aboutSmoking Dragon has a spectacular aura about

I am in the Army National Guard. I think that it's the best way to go. If it's something that she doesn't like, then it's only 1 weekend a month and summer camp. If it's something that she likes then she can join the AGR program. Which is like active duty with all pay and benefits while staying at home and not being transfered all over the world at a whim. If more detailed information is needed please PM me.

Sarge
Smoking Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM   #12
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

With that language background she should look at the Diplomatic Service as well as some of the letter agencies such as CIA and NSA in addition to the military and see where the best fit would be. Diplomatic Service and CIA would be her best bet at working within an embassy as far as I can see.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #13
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvilchez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
With that language background she should look at the Diplomatic Service as well as some of the letter agencies such as CIA and NSA in addition to the military and see where the best fit would be. Diplomatic Service and CIA would be her best bet at working within an embassy as far as I can see.

Go Marine Corps Officer or do what Paul suggested...Don't allow her to forgo her talents and education as an enlisted personnel.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #14
tobii3

I thought we WERE talking about Officer Career Management Fields??
Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Quote:
She is definitely not going in until after she has her degree. She is going to a University in France this summer. When she gets back she will only have about 20 hours left to finish her bachelors.

I will have her look into the STEP program. Thanks for the help offer. I am sure I will PM you as I have more questions.
Well if she's going to France then have her look into the State Dept website for possible opportunities in France. It's just a stepping stone and it will open your eyes if it's something she wants to do or not.

Again not trying to steer her away from the military but showing her different options that are out there.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #16
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Her dream job has always been at an embassy in Western Europe.
If she comes to Amsterdam you're gonna have to visit her and that is a good reason to herf with the Dutch crew
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

With her language skills the DLI(Defense Language Institute) is an option. Drop Darrell a PM as he just finished his enlistment there. I dont know if they have civilian jobs but that also might be an option.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #18
Partagaspete
I Do Medical Things

Trading: (8)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
Partagaspete is on a distinguished road

First bit of advice:

Make sure she is talking to an Officer Recruiter! If the guy is an enlisted recruiter chances are he is trying the old "enlist now and in a short while you can go officer, It's easy we do it all the time..." B.S.

Second bit of advice:

Go USAF, quality of life is so much better than the other branches IMHO and many will agree.

Finally, I will not recommend any career field because I can even understand why someone would want to be an accountant but some people love it. However, find a career that tranfers well to the civilian sector for the future.

T
Partagaspete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
tobii3

Holy crap.....what are some of you basing your suggestions on??

""Well, I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night""?????

Partagas Pete has about the most realistic and HONEST suggestion so far!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #20
Darrell

I think she should join the Air Force. They take better care of their people and have better facilities than the rest of the services. They also have a great Intelligence field, especially for Intel officers. Make sure she is seeing an OFFICER recruiter, and not an ENLISTED. You don't need your little girl who just spent 4 years getting a degree, getting suckered into joining the Air Force for 4 years as an E-3.

EDIT:

Tony beat me above about the officer recruiter thing.