Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold
Default digital hygrometer....

I've had too many to count over the years...salt tested, etc. etc....but still don't "trust" results....the 4 in my current cabinet were all at 75 after test, now are ranging all over the place...brands/types y'all are using with success (not including the "mercedes" models like Stabells, et al.)??
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: digital hygrometer....

I have 4 of the large rectangular HygroSetII's from Michael (CigarNut) @ HCMbeads.com so far they have been reliable.

I also have one of the old accurite 00613 min/max hygrometers/thermometers, which has been working fine for years, although I seem to recall that these units were hit and miss - sometimes you got a good one, sometimes not. They also aren't adjustable, so you have to write the error on a piece of tape and stick it to the unit.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Also, even though it might be stating the obvious, are the batteries new and are they the right type? I can't speak for other brands, but the Hygroset's are supposed to have silver oxide batteries (SR44/357) rather than the less expensive similarly sized alkaline (LR44/357a). When brand new, the batteries are about the same, but after a short period of use, they start performing differently. While silver cells will stay basically constant until right before they croak, alkaline cells start slowly dropping in voltage from the word go. This could be causing reading errors/fluctuation between the units.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Granted, that most of the mass-market hygrometers are made in China, I think some are better than others. I like the HygroSet hygrometers; I have customers that really like the Xikar hygrometers as well.

The original HygroSet and HygroSet II are +/- 2% accuracy for humidty, the HygroSet Slim is +/- 1% accuracy on Humidity.

One thing about all of these digital hygrometers is they lose accuracy as the battery ages, so I replace my batteries regularly.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

You are unlikely to find a cheap hygrometer which is truly accurate, at best they give you a good indication of whether it's "Dry" "Humid" or "Really Humid". There is a good write up on RH by Dr. Stan Schultz, it's concerning the care and upkeep of tarantula enclosures, but the science is solid.

A good read for any cigar hobbyist http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/Humidity.html
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Oregon Scientific has a good reputation. But keep in mind that any hygrometer has a variance of +-2% even the very best. Even lab grade hygrometers need to be recalibrated occasionally. I have 5 or 6 digital hygrometers, all are in the drawer. I trust my beads and my ability to judge if my cigars are smoking well.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote