Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road
Default Vinotemp & Electrical Help...

Hey all - anyone that knows about electronics that could help me out? I replaced the control board on my vinotemp, and when I plugged it back in I noticed that one the fans mounted to the heatsink on back was not spinning. It is dust free like it has never worked. I swapped where the two fans are plugged in on the control board to rule out a problem with the board, and the fan still did not work while the other one did. So I'm pretty sure it is a bad fan. However, I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. It only has 2 wires, and is a 92mm fan, whereas all the fans I have around are 80mm case fans.
I found an 80mm case fan that I think might work, but the amperage is a little different. The original fan says 0.16A, and the new fan says 0.14A. It has two wires like the original fan, but it goes to a 4 pin computer connector. I was thinking I could cut off the computer connector and swap it for the connector from the original fan. It would not cover as much area, but it should do the job. Anyone that could let me know if this fan will work, despite the differences in amperage?
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Vinotemp & Electrical Help...

Should work fine

Here's a site with 92mm fans if you want a 92mm instead.

http://www.xoxide.com/92mmfans.html
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Hey all - anyone that knows about electronics that could help me out? I replaced the control board on my vinotemp, and when I plugged it back in I noticed that one the fans mounted to the heatsink on back was not spinning. It is dust free like it has never worked. I swapped where the two fans are plugged in on the control board to rule out a problem with the board, and the fan still did not work while the other one did. So I'm pretty sure it is a bad fan. However, I'm having a hard time finding a replacement. It only has 2 wires, and is a 92mm fan, whereas all the fans I have around are 80mm case fans.
I found an 80mm case fan that I think might work, but the amperage is a little different. The original fan says 0.16A, and the new fan says 0.14A. It has two wires like the original fan, but it goes to a 4 pin computer connector. I was thinking I could cut off the computer connector and swap it for the connector from the original fan. It would not cover as much area, but it should do the job. Anyone that could let me know if this fan will work, despite the differences in amperage?

If the amperage rating is the only difference, the new fan will work fine, it will just draw slightly less power.

Are the vinotemp fans 12 volt DC? Because that's a 12VDC fan (or a fan with a range that includes 12VDC) you are about install. Some of these coolers might have higher voltage or even AC fans and if that's the case, the fan you are installing might not be suitable (but will provide some nice blue smoke).
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
If the amperage rating is the only difference, the new fan will work fine, it will just draw slightly less power.

Are the vinotemp fans 12 volt DC? Because that's a 12VDC fan you are about install.
The odds of a 92mm fan being on anything less than a 9VDC system isn't.... likely. Most startup voltages for those fans are ~7VDC if my memory serves right.

Odds are it's 9-12VDC and it'll work fine in any of those ranges.

For sake of being precise though, always measure with a voltmeter

You Edited:: Just to clarify, the thermoelectric cooling will be a DC system.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Are the vinotemp fans 12 volt DC? Because that's a 12VDC fan (or a fan with a range that includes 12VDC) you are about install. Some of these coolers might have higher voltage or even AC fans and if that's the case, the fan you are installing might not be suitable (but will provide some nice blue smoke).
Yes, the vino fan says DC 12V. The trickiest part here is going to be getting the plug off the old fan and onto the new one. I got the plastic piece off, but the little metal parts that are crimped to the wires are tough. Could I just splice it in some way?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes, the vino fan says DC 12V. The trickiest part here is going to be getting the plug off the old fan and onto the new one. I got the plastic piece off, but the little metal parts that are crimped to the wires are tough. Could I just splice it in some way?
Just cut it, splice it, solder it and heatshrink it. If the wires aren't routed in a small space, you can use wirenuts.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

http://www.altex.com//92mm-12VDC-Bal...1-P148539.aspx

92mm 12VDC case fan.
9 bucks

------------------------

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ING-FAN/1.html

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Just cut it, splice it, solder it and heatshrink it. If the wires aren't routed in a small space, you can use wirenuts.
Do this

A healthy amount of properly applied electrical tape could work in a pinch instead of heatshrink.

Just make sure the device is unplugged first
Old 04-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Where did you get the control board? Why did you have to replace it?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
Where did you get the control board? Why did you have to replace it?
The vino died on me and I had to order a replacement board from vinotemp. $45 after shipping. Now I'm wondering if this bad fan didn't have something to do with its early demise.

Would scotchlocks be ok in this case?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

I went ahead and used scotch locks, seems to work fine. One interesting thing - the mount that holds the fan has pre-marked circles that align with the 80mm fan perfectly...
Old 04-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

She's back up and running! Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
JE3146
Jordan #2

Partagas

Well done