Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #81
ahc4353

Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eber View Post
Hello my name is Erik and I probably have sleep apnea,

I am in the process of scheduling a sleep study (getting the doctors referral and all that stuff) I already called the sleep institute and after they get the papers from the Doc. I will be in for a study next week.
Good luck Erik and keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenookie View Post
Hi, my name is Claude. I've had sleep apnea for a little over 5 yrs now. I don't remember the exact #'s of my last sleep study 3 yrs ago, but I remember they were bad. I started using a CPAP but could not find a mask that was comfortable enough to allow me to sleep thru the night. I would wake up fiddling with the tubes, or develop a leak. I stopped using the CPAP 2 yrs ago as a result of this. I don't think I want to go the surgery route. My problem with the different masks is that I'm a stomach sleeper and could never get comfy on my back. Funny that this post started because I'm scheduled for another sleep study on the 13th, and reading all the posts makes me remember how serious this is. I hope they've come up with new head gear that will address my problem with not being able to sleep on my back. If any one has, or had the problem with head gear, a heads up on what gear you use would appreciated.
So glad to read you're going to give it another shot.
Please keep us posted!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM   #82
Junior

Gang I am afraid that my wife has sleep apnea. At night I can hear her taking long pauses between breaths, and she snores really bad, and wakes up tired most days. I can’t convince her that she may have an issue. Any ideas on how I can convince her that she needs to get checked out?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM   #83
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Gang I am afraid that my wife has sleep apnea. At night I can hear her taking long pauses between breaths, and she snores really bad, and wakes up tired most days. I can’t convince her that she may have an issue. Any ideas on how I can convince her that she needs to get checked out?
I suggest doing a little research about the affects of apnea and then present them to her. Increased blood pressure, risk of stroke, heart attack, thickening of heart walls, etc. That might scare her into it. I also know there are a couple of CPAP forums which I've linked below where people discuss the night and day difference between how they felt before and how they felt after CPAP started. Those types of threads are usually stickied, so they shouldn't be hard to find. If she is always tired, she may be intrigued by the possibility of not being tired if she gets checked out. If not, visiting the sites may give you more information you need to really press upon her. Good luck! It's an important cause.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-A...bdb10f1ac586c3

http://www.apneasupport.org/
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #84
Junior

She is just convinced it is because of the weight that she put on after having our children. It does scare me. Just the thought of anything happening to her. I will let her know about the forums, and try to get her to take a look at them. I have also been thinking about recording her sleep with a hope that she hears what I do.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #85
Emerald

Quote:
She is just convinced it is because of the weight that she put on after having our children. It does scare me. Just the thought of anything happening to her. I will let her know about the forums, and try to get her to take a look at them. I have also been thinking about recording her sleep with a hope that she hears what I do.
Junior... I am a woman, a mother, a wife, and I SWEAR, just reading this forum made me eager to find out if I had it. I called hubby and asked them if I had a normal sleep and, apparently, I do. My best tip, for your situation, is to suggest your wife to read this entire thread.... and if trhe scary stuff doens't convince her, the amazing love in your tone and your genuine concernes about something happening to her WILL convince her. Gee... I almost cried....
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #86
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Junior... I am a woman, a mother, a wife, and I SWEAR, just reading this forum made me eager to find out if I had it. I called hubby and asked them if I had a normal sleep and, apparently, I do. My best tip, for your situation, is to suggest your wife to read this entire thread.... and if trhe scary stuff doens't convince her, the amazing love in your tone and your genuine concernes about something happening to her WILL convince her. Gee... I almost cried....
Thank you I will try to get her to read it tonight. Wish me luck. I don't know what I would do with out her.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #87
ahc4353

Quote:
Tell her you love her and you want to spend many, many years together. Then ask her to get tested "for you".

If that doesn't work make an appointment, tell here your taking here to lunch and deliver here at the doc's office!
Old 05-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #88
azherfer
Proud Ranger Dad

First Name: David
Trading: (1)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
azherfer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenookie
If any one has, or had the problem with head gear, a heads up on what gear you use would appreciated.
This is the only mask that I could get comfortable with and honestly, after several months, I hardly noticed it anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Puritan-Benett...1717472&sr=8-2
azherfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #89
ahc4353

So I thought I would keep a list of who needs to schedule their test. This way all of us that are treating our Apnea can hound those that aren't until they do. All confirmed apnea people please feel free to send reminder PM's on a regular bases to the following.

mediccook - Ryan
eber - Eric
beeradvocate - Travis - (Father-In-Law)
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
jkim05 - Jeremy - (Dad - awaiting results)
junior - (wife)

Please update the list with the date of your scheduled test.

Well? What are you waiting for? Get going!

Last edited by ahc4353; 05-08-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #90
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

mediccook - Ryan
eber - Eric
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard May 14
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife)

Yo, I'm psychic--mine was scheduled before the thread started!

I was planning on posting up some pictures next weekend once it's all done, just to give folks an idea of what the test is like.

G

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #91
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I already have the equipment I just don't use it.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #92
ahc4353

eber - Eric
dentonparrots - Carl
kaisersozei - Gerard May 14
tripp - Tripp
ggainey - Greg
emjaysmash - M.J.
awsmith4 - Albert
junior - (wife)

Updated List.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Well, I'm disappointed but it's your life.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #93
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Im giving my father in law an oximeter to wear over night to see what his O2 stats drop to. I am hoping he can take the report to his doctor and that Dr will see how bad his sleep apnea is, and just bypass the sleep study and prescribe him a CPAP.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #94
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerAdvocate View Post
Im giving my father in law an oximeter to wear over night to see what his O2 stats drop to. I am hoping he can take the report to his doctor and that Dr will see how bad his sleep apnea is, and just bypass the sleep study and prescribe him a CPAP.
Good idea Travis. Hope it works.

Let us know.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #95
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He will still have to go through some form of titration study for the CPAP. I can't really see a physician skipping the sleep study entirely though, but every doctor is different so who knows. The important part is he seeks the treatment he needs.

Best of luck! A new life could be on the horizon for your father-in-law.
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #96
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They will still need to determine what CPAP pressure setting is necessary through a study, so he won't be able to skip it entirely. You could save him one of the two trips though.

One thing I hadn't mentioned before but should have is that my dad actually had the studies conducted at home. They came out and set everything up before bed, and returned in the morning to get all the equipment, data, etc., so he could do it from his own bed. One of the most unpleasant parts of the sleep study is sleeping in the lab (though they do a nice job of making it kind of like a bare-bones hotel room as opposed to a hospital). If you can avoid that aspect, perhaps some of you who are reluctant to go through with the process will give it a shot.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #97
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
They will still need to determine what CPAP pressure setting is necessary through a study, so he won't be able to skip it entirely. You could save him one of the two trips though.

Some doctors (around here anyway) will have the patient skip the sleep study all together, and prescribe them a Bipap machine that has a vairable pressure setting. I work for a medical supply company and sometimes Dr's will send a patient over with his O2 sats and an RX for a Bipap machine.
It just depends on how bad their sats are.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #98
kayaker

I think I'll get this checked out when I get back home. My wife thinks I may have an issue, but I don't have problems with my sleep. I do snore, but I don't ever recall waking up short of breath. I'm mostly a side sleeper, and sometimes sleep on my back.

However, if there is a potential issue, I want to get it taken care of ASAP.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #99
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
nothing funny about that Ryan.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #100
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I think I'll get this checked out when I get back home. My wife thinks I may have an issue, but I don't have problems with my sleep. I do snore, but I don't ever recall waking up short of breath. I'm mostly a side sleeper, and sometimes sleep on my back.

However, if there is a potential issue, I want to get it taken care of ASAP.
Ian, I never noticed waking up with gasping for breath, even though I have severe apnea, so that is no indication.