Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
Christiel49

Default Re: A Question of Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I say no way in hell would that be appropriate.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #42
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Wow, resurrected thread after 10 months buried.

I would also say that selling a gifted cigar is in poor taste and I would not ever do that.

I am still not sure about re-gifting though. I have done it, but only when it is something I had already smoked, or was (from experiences with others from that brand) a cigar I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.

On one occasion, I did give a gifted cigar to someone who was really excited that I had it, and really, really, really, really, really, wanted to try one. It had been around the block a few times in the traveldor and been passed by. I finally thought that if this person really wants it and will smoke it, hey, it was intended to be smoked.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #43
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
I was pondering this very question recently. I see nothing wrong with re-gifting. If I gave you something with stipulations it wasn't really a gift.

Now what do you all say about selling gifted cigars??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
Personally see nothing wrong with re-gifting at all, selling a gifted cigar is another matter.

I have many times re-gifted cigars someone has given me if I know I will never smoke them(especially good place to gift them is to the troops)
Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
I say no way in hell would that be appropriate.
Re-gifting cigars so that others may enjoy something you are not going to smoke is more than appropriate. I do this -- and not necessarily because I don't like the cigar. It's more a case that there are other cigars that I enjoy more.

As others have said: selling cigars that you have been gifted is totally inapproriate, wrong, and downright slimey!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #44
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Wow, resurrected thread after 10 months buried.

I would also say that selling a gifted cigar is in poor taste and I would not ever do that.

I am still not sure about re-gifting though. I have done it, but only when it is something I had already smoked, or was (from experiences with others from that brand) a cigar I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.

On one occasion, I did give a gifted cigar to someone who was really excited that I had it, and really, really, really, really, really, wanted to try one. It had been around the block a few times in the traveldor and been passed by. I finally thought that if this person really wants it and will smoke it, hey, it was intended to be smoked.

Selling gifted cigars is in bad taste.

Re-gifting them to someone you know wants or would enjoy them is different. You are not making profit of you giving away a cigar gifted to you, and the whole reason cigars are around is for them to be enjoyed. I know that if someone gifts me a cigar I don't enjoy, I will either give it back (or in most cases where it cannot be done) pass it one to someone who will. There's no point in smoking cigars you don't like. Spread the joy and make someone else's day a little better.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #45
TheLostGringo
Wish I had a Dr. Pepper

First Name: Roger
Trading: (16)
HUpmann
TheLostGringo will become famous soon enoughTheLostGringo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLostGringo View Post
Personally see nothing wrong with re-gifting at all, selling a gifted cigar is another matter.

I have many times re-gifted cigars someone has given me if I know I will never smoke them(especially good place to gift them is to the troops)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
Can you elaborate, please?
Pretty straight forward. I am saying I do not believe you should sell a gifted cigar.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #46
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I would hope the question of selling a gifted smoke was a joke.

As for regifting sticks you've already tried or don't like, I wouldn't find it inappropriate to do so.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #47
chand
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Damian
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
chand will become famous soon enough

I think it's ok to re-gift. I don't know if I would personally, but if I send something out and the receiver isn't into it why shouldn't they pass it along to someone who does?
chand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #48
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Cripes, man, just come out and ask the question you want answered instead of beating around the bush.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #49
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Cripes, man, just come out and ask the question you want answered instead of beating around the bush.
Is it OK to re-gift that cigar I took with me that you gave me? To myself?
Also, is it OK if I go back and find the one I smoked there and re-gift that one also? Not to myself on this one if OK by you.

Please respond before my 6 pm flight out of here.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM   #50
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Also, is it OK if I go back and find the one I smoked there and re-gift that one also? Not to myself on this one if OK by you.

are you off your meds or been hitting the sauce a little early?
Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I would like to browse Tom's humidor and regift some of his cigars to myself

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
I would like to browse Tom's humidor and regift some of his cigars to myself

Anytime, My Brother.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #53
sam a
... .. .

Trading: (2)
QdO
sam a has disabled reputation

i'd be pretty disappointed if i gave a friend a cigar and they gave it away.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #54
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

I'm OK with re-gifting.
If I hook someone up with a cigar that is just not in their flavor profile, I want them to give it to someone who may enjoy it. Life's to short not to spread the wealth, so to speak.

On the other hand;
You sella my cigar I gift you, I breaka you legs, capish?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM   #55
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Hey- if I give you a cigar- you can do what you want with it- it's yours now. I frankly don't have the time or inclination to check up on you and make sure that you don't regift it or sell it or whatever. ("you" in a general sense, Rev!)
Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #56
Matt-N-Ga
MattGah

First Name: Matt
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Matt-N-Ga will become famous soon enough

I always appreciate every bomb or gifted cigar I get, but I have run into this problem myself. I took the stance of being sure to smoke each one and thank the giver, but found that at times, it just wasn't a good idea. I then began a new process. If I'm bombed with a cigar I never tried, regardless of manufacturer or prior experience with their wares, I'll smoke it and give it a fair shake, but if I have tried them, and don't like them, I never regift them per-se. I put them in my troop bombings. Kinda a "pay-it forward" type thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #57
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

Did Tom re-gift that Gurkha I gave him back in 06 or 07? Smoke it in good health, my brother.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #58
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

They are just cigars. It's the spirit in which they are given that matters. Troops, a good friend, a newbie, a new friend, a guy on the street that looks like he could use a day brightener? All good. When I fly, I like to tuck an extra couple in my traveldor for anyone in a uniform I might come across and just give them a smile, a nod, and a
"thanks for your service, if you don't smoke, I imagine you can pass it on to a fellow troop that could use a smoke."
Old 02-24-2011, 05:24 PM   #59
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
They are just cigars. It's the spirit in which they are given that matters. Troops, a good friend, a newbie, a new friend, a guy on the street that looks like he could use a day brightener? All good. When I fly, I like to tuck an extra couple in my traveldor for anyone in a uniform I might come across and just give them a smile, a nod, and a
"thanks for your service, if you don't smoke, I imagine you can pass it on to a fellow troop that could use a smoke."

In full disclosure.. I have to say that, I have gifted many more than a few dozen Gurkhas..