Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #41
Dr Voss

Default Re: Am I being too picky? (picture heavy)

I have to agree with what I have read here. If it were a x-mas gift from your brother in law the hobby woodworker it's beautiful. For $500 from a "professional" it's not even close. Send that sucker back.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #42
cmacclel

I would have sent it back myself. Quality these days is so down hill I bought a Lucky 7 humidor and for "Made in China" product it's not bad. The first traditional stlyle humidor I purchased sent back to do the veneer peeling off.

Mac
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #43
ysr_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
I have to agree with what I have read here. If it were a x-mas gift from your brother in law the hobby woodworker it's beautiful. For $500 from a "professional" it's not even close. Send that sucker back.
DV, I think you hit the nail on the head. I could do half-baked job myself (for a lot less).
Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM   #44
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough

You are not being too picky. You are investing a lot of money into this and you want what you paid for. Not to mention that this will house your investment in cigars and if it does not function properly and is not what you expected by all means I agree with you.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 AM   #45
hdryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
Smart move on the return If you really want a custom one send me a PM, I bet my buddy has time, he has done mine and is just about done with Frank's and Andrew's and they are bad@ss.

My coffin Humi

Attachment 10833

Attachment 10834

Attachment 10835
love the coffin humidor
Old 12-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #46
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post

Maybe I'm just an a-hole but even if it was from my brother-in-law I'd send it back! That thing couldn't be used as a humidor and would be useless to me as anything else cause that gap would annoy the hell out of me.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #47
ysr_racer

If you've got anything else to add, do it now. I'm going to email him a link to this thread, tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #48
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

You get a refund yet?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM   #49
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If you've got anything else to add, do it now. I'm going to email him a link to this thread, tomorrow.
I would see if you can get your refund before doing that. Has he flat out refused to refund you? I'm not sure a link to a thread where everyone is blasting his work would be beneficial.

If you start on the offensive too strong out the gate, he may tell you to shove it. If this guy is not an actual business, I don't really know how much leverage you actually have.

Just something to think about.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #50
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I would see if you can get your refund before doing that. Has he flat out refused to refund you? I'm not sure a link to a thread where everyone is blasting his work would be beneficial.

If you start on the offensive too strong out the gate, he may tell you to shove it. If this guy is not an actual business, I don't really know how much leverage you actually have.

Just something to think about.
This. That's why I asked if you had gotten a refund yet. Thanks for clearing that up Peter.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #51
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I would see if you can get your refund before doing that. Has he flat out refused to refund you? I'm not sure a link to a thread where everyone is blasting his work would be beneficial....
I have to agree 100%. Get your refund first

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #52
Flounder
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Ethan
Trading: (1)
Flounder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Maybe I'm just an a-hole but even if it was from my brother-in-law I'd send it back! That thing couldn't be used as a humidor and would be useless to me as anything else cause that gap would annoy the hell out of me.
If it was from family, I'd keep it, just probably wouldn't use it for cigars, but other odds and ends.
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #53
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

I'm not sure a link to this thread would accomplish anything. Even after a refund.

What would be gained by showing him that others have jumped on the bashing bandwagon?

I agree the quality is sub-standard and a refund is warranted but showing him this thread is pointless.

Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I can toss in my 2 cents, I suppose.
I highly doubt the interior is pine. Pine is aromatic. A guy would have to be retarded to use pine in a humi. Poplar or birch is fine, it's non-aromatic but it's softwood.
I can see why he laminated the poplar? to the paduak, it's because paduak is CRAZY expensive. Ebony is out of this world expensive.
Because I work with the stuff and buy wood, I'd know it was impossible to build that box of solid paduak for the price you paid. The material alone would be close to that price (if not more) if it was made of solid hardwoods.

Setting in stop hinges takes time, but they're easy. I do it by hand with a chisel. The best corner hinges are side/back or corner stop hinges like this I use 4 screw ones in brass)...

They require tons of setup, lots of time, and are sheer hell to install. It's what you want in a humi, though. If it's a wide solid hardwood humi, the lid will be very heavy and you have to add a couple flat stop hinges (like you got) in addition to corner hinges or screews will tear out and the lid will fall off.

If a guy builds a humidor from solid hardwood and hinges and recessed mating surfaces, it's is 100% impossible to get a 100% water-tight, air-tight seal. I like to mate surfaces and use foam and some sort of positive latch. That way they become zero maintenance. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes not, so I've decided to do things a whole different way. I'm just playing, though, looking for my own design that I'm personally pleased with that I'd be proud to offer and gift to people.
That's not to say that a guy can't get a very good or perfectly usable seal using conventional humi-building techniques, it's just that I personally shoot for 100% airtight so there's almost zero maintenance. 99% isn't good enough for me because I'm nuts, even though it makes no real-world difference.

That box is real close to being worth every dime you paid for it. Were the hinges set in, you'd have your money's worth. The guy cut a corner that shouldn't be cut, that's all. I'm sure any customers would pay an extra 20 bucks for the time proper fitment would take. He just made a silly move. It happens.

Handmade quality takes tons of time. The guy didn't do a bad job, not by a longshot.
And the humi is well worth what you paid.
I think you're right in sending it back. I wouldn't accept it in it's present condition, either. Nor would I send one out in that condition (speaking strictly on the hinges).
I can't really assess the quality of the handwork, but it really doesn't look bad in your pics, and the humi has a lot of touches that require extra time. So like I said, it's worth the money right up to where he flunked out on the hinges.

To make a solid hardwood, top-flight, heirloom piece in that size range, you'd be hard-pressed to find something at twice the price. I just mention that to explain the market he's shooting at. I think you deserve and want a little bit better for your money, but you're going to have to spend a little more to get it. Expect to pay $800-$1200 for something around that size, solid hardwood, with medium respect to handwork and fitment and finish.

I hope that helps!!!
Scott

Last edited by shilala; 12-14-2011 at 01:28 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #55
Volusianator
Bikes, Babes & Cigars!

First Name: Wade
Trading: (17)
SCdlH
Volusianator has a spectacular aura aboutVolusianator has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I can toss in my 2 cents, I suppose.
I highly doubt the interior is pine. Pine is aromatic. A guy would have to be retarded to use pine in a humi. Poplar or birch is fine, it's non-aromatic but it's softwood.
I can see why he laminated the poplar? to the paduak, it's because paduak is CRAZY expensive. Ebony is out of this world expensive.
Because I work with the stuff and buy wood, I'd know it was impossible to build that box of solid paduak for the price you paid. The material alone would be close to that price (if not more) if it was made of solid hardwoods.

Setting in stop hinges takes time, but they're easy. I do it by hand with a chisel. The best corner hinges are side/back or corner stop hinges like this I use 4 screw ones in brass)...

They require tons of setup, lots of time, and are sheer hell to install. It's what you want in a humi, though. If it's a wide solid hardwood humi, the lid will be very heavy and you have to add a couple flat stop hinges (like you got) in addition to corner hinges or screews will tear out and the lid will fall off.

If a guy builds a humidor from solid hardwood and hinges and recessed mating surfaces, it's is 100% impossible to get a 100% water-tight, air-tight seal. I like to mate surfaces and use foam and some sort of positive latch. That way they become zero maintenance. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes not, so I've decided to do things a whole different way. I'm just playing, though, looking for my own design that I'm personally pleased with that I'd be proud to offer to people.
That's not to say that a guy can't get a very good or perfectly usable seal using conventional humi-building techniques, it's just that I personally shoot for 100% airtight so there's almost zero maintenance.

That box is real close to being worth every dime you paid for it. Were the hinges set in, you'd have your money's worth. The guy cut a corner that shouldn't be cut, that's all. I'm sure any customers would pay an extra 20 bucks for the time proper fitment would take. He just made a silly move. It happens.

Handmade quality takes tons of time. The guy didn't do a bad job, not by a longshot.
And the humi is well worth what you paid.
I think you're right in sending it back. I wouldn't accept it in it's present condition, either. Nor would I send one out in that condition (speaking strictly on the hinges).
I can't really assess the quality of the handwork, but it really doesn't look bad in your pics, and the humi has a lot of touches that require extra time. So like I said, it's worth the money right up to where he flunked out on the hinges.

To make a solid hardwood, top-flight, heirloom piece in that size range, you'd be hard-pressed to find something at twice the price. I just mention that to explain the market he's shooting at. I think you deserve and want a little bit better for your money, but you're going to have to spend a little more to get it. Expect to pay $800-$1200 for something around that size, solid hardwood, with medium respect to handwork and fitment and finish.

I hope that helps!!!
Scott
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #56
ysr_racer

Quote:

I hope that helps!!!
Scott
Hi Scott,

It was close, real close but the lid was the deal breaker. His craftsmanship was really good, but his design sucks.

I paid with a credit card, and he already has the box back, so if he doesn't refund me, I'll handle it thru Visa.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #57
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Hi Scott,

It was close, real close but the lid was the deal breaker. His craftsmanship was really good, but his design sucks.

I paid with a credit card, and he already has the box back, so if he doesn't refund me, I'll handle it thru Visa.
I wish you could have run it by. We could have set in the hinges and you'd be good to go. I wish I'd have seen this earlier, I could have fixed her up for you.
Best of luck with the rest of the deal, I hope you don't have a hard time getting your money back!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:55 AM   #58
RRocket
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (10)
RRocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wish you could have run it by. We could have set in the hinges and you'd be good to go. I wish I'd have seen this earlier, I could have fixed her up for you.
Best of luck with the rest of the deal, I hope you don't have a hard time getting your money back!!!
But that's not the point. You spend premium money on a humidor, you shouldn't have to send it to a 3rd party to "fix her up". That's the whole point of spending extra..for premium $$, I expect premium material and craftsmanship on a humidor that I can use immediately.
RRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 AM   #59
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Adequate skill for a shed,woefully short of an artist............
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #60
ysr_racer

The reality is he was close, real close. He spent a lot of time and money on it, but in the end it was like Leonardo da Vinci painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

Great painting if it didn't have a mustache

Same thing here. Great box if the lid fit correctly.

The fact the it came shipped and packed with used materials just shows a lack of pride in your work. The writing on the magnets shows a lack of attention to detail.

I don't know if the box took two hours, two days, two months or two years to build. The top is half-a$$ed.

I'm guessing you guys are right about the poplar wood, but shouldn't the whole box be lined with cedar?

What if I didn't want to use the tray?