Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Sacmore21

Default Are you afraid to smoke your pipe?

I have a couple of briar pipes. I received them new. They both look great. The thing is, I never smoke them. I almost always opt for my cob, or for a pipe I made by hand. Not because I think the smokes are superior, but because I'm afraid of charring/scorching my beautiful pipes. Does anybody else have these issues?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
Hydrated

Default Re: Are you afraid to smoke your pipe?

Nope. I ain't afraid. The problem that I have is that I don't have enough time to smoke all of the pipes that I want to... hence the couple of unsmoked pipes that I have in my stable.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

I don't not drive a new car because I don't want scratches. use it for what's it made for

scorch those suckers up
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
physiognomy
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
ERdM
physiognomy will become famous soon enough

If you are careful with your lighter, I think you can avoid scorching for the most part... I say smoke away & if you are really worried, you can always lick your finger & moisten the rim of the bowl before lighting.
physiognomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
wharfrathoss

if you use a zippo pipe lighter, you'd really have to try to char a rim-i use wood matches for the charring light, not much danger there either-both of the above burn at fairly low temps compared to a butane soft flame lighter-i always put the carnuba wax on a bit thicker on the rim, adds a little more protection
Old 10-19-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
EvanS

Personally i will not buy am pipe that is not to be smoked. I have enough clutter at my house as it is. Care can help protect the rim but getting that first rim darkening...trust me...will free your soul.

My pipes never tasted nor smoked so good as they have since I quit fussing
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacmore21 View Post
...I'm afraid of charring/scorching my beautiful pipes. Does anybody else have these issues?
I had a a 1967 BSA Thunderbolt motorcycle like that. After a meticulous restoration by my own hands I grew nervous about riding the bike that had been my everyday scooter for 15-years. I sold it on a great offer for someone with more money than brains.

I say, "If you think you might have a problem than you already do." Do you feel you lack the requisite experience to avoid burning the rim or, possibly, burning out the airhole, etc? Nothing wrong with being wary. Maybe you'd be more comfortable gaining some experience on a pipe you don't give a crap about. I have one for you, if that's the case. A pipe, that is. Not a motorcycle.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
adampc22

totally man but its a facked about pipesmokeing life lol i got like 23 still in the bubble rap lol
Old 10-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Sacmore21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

Do you feel you lack the requisite experience to avoid burning the rim or, possibly, burning out the airhole, etc? Nothing wrong with being wary. Maybe you'd be more comfortable gaining some experience on a pipe you don't give a crap about. I have one for you, if that's the case. A pipe, that is. Not a motorcycle.
Wow, Moo! A motorcycle! You're so generous! Oh, sorry. I just re-read the sentence

Although, I do honestly appreciate your offer. I do have some pipes that I'm not too worried about, specifically my cobs. My real concern is taking these nice, becautiful looking pipes, and ruining them. I would most likely ruin them due to the fact that my cobs have already taken some scorching. So, I can just imagine translating that to my nice briars. I don't smoke that often, and even though I feel like I've become better over the last couple of months, my infrequency has not allowed me to become an "expert". Hence, my briars are boxed, and my cobs are getting burned up.

I guess, as some others have said, that you might as well use them. I just want my nice pipes, to stay, well, uh, nice!