Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default Casa Magna Colorado

Size: 5.5×52, Robusto

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Colorado

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan

Strength: Full

Price: $5.50 to $7.50 a cigar

Grade: 9.0

Sometimes a high score can overshadow the actual product, which is great on its on, and this may be the case with the Casa Magna Colorado. Rated as Cigar Aficionado’s number one cigar in 2008, with a rating of 93, had smokers lining up in droves to purchase the cigar.

That’s great, except for the fact that many fail to appreciate the other aspects of the cigar, aside from the score. The Casa Magna line of cigars is a joint effort from two industry titans, Manuel Quesada and Nestor Plasencia.

A Nicaraguan puro rolled in Nestor Plasencia’s Segovia factory in Esteli, Nicaragua, the Casa Magna Colorado is available in seven sizes: Belicoso (6.5×52), Churchill (67/8x49), Corona (6×46), Extraordinarios (7×58), Gran Toro (6×56), Pikito (4.75×42), and Robusto (5.5×52). It is also sold with an Oscuro wrapper.

With anticipation high for this smoke, let’s toast it and see how it finishes.

Pre-light, 1.8:
The oily Colorado wrapper on this smoke is beautiful to the eye and touch. There are minimal veins and the cap is nicely set atop the head of the smoke. The Robusto is tightly packed and that worries me a bit in regard to the draw. The label is a very classy gold and black with red trim. The Colorado wrapper has a nice aroma coming off the reddish brown leaf and I get some earthy tobacco with a hint of sweetness at the foot. The cold draw is devoid of any prominent notes except for earthy tobacco and some spice through the nose. The cigar I chose for this review has some age on it, not sure exactly how much, but the cello is showing the signs.

Burn, 1.7:
The cigar is now clipped and as I inspect the exposed head, I see that the tobacco is super tight. Toasted and lit I find the draw not as tight as I expected but still a little snug for my taste. The burn is pretty even and though it did get out of line a few times, it always corrected itself. The wrapper is a slow burner due to the oils, and the binder appears to also burn at a slower pace, which made for a nice long smoke. The ash holds past an inch and when it falls it produces a nice orange cone right in the center of the filler. The tight draw is consistent until the last third, when it opens up a bit. I worked to keep this one going but it always produced a mouthful of smoke after three good puffs.

Flavor, 2.8:
The first puff on the Casa Magna is of earthy tobacco with notes of cedar and spice. Into the first third the smoke continues this trend but I also pick up some notes of caramel at times. I am searching for coffee or mocha type notes, but they never materialize. The second third becomes earthier and also somewhat creamy at times. The spice mellows a bit but is ever present in this part of the Robusto. The final third still has some creaminess with spicy with notes of cedar and earth. The finish on this smoke is long and heavy at times.

Overall, 2.7:
The Casa Magna is a good smoke for the price point offered. Currently they are hard to find online but I have seen them in plentiful supply at my local B&M. This is a nice offering from two powerhouses in the cigar industry. Complex and full, you will be satisfied with your purchase of this smoke. That being said, I personally was a bit disappointed in the draw and the work it took to smoke, but that is a personal preference and should be counted as such.

(Total: 9.0)
Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Casa Magna Colorado

great review. I've got one I need to give a try.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
warren G.
Also a WIS.

First Name: Duy
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
warren G. is on a distinguished road

Nice review..I had one not so long ago. It was pretty great...especially the price. You're right on the plentiful supply @ bm. Most of my local bm had a good bit of them stock.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Lear31MX
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (8)
QdO
Lear31MX will become famous soon enoughLear31MX will become famous soon enough

Nice review I have mine i got from rhmalone resting in the humi
Old 07-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

I liked the 2 Petite Coronas I had. Very nice especially for the price.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review...I LOVE the Oscuro version of this stick.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I really like the pikito version of this stick for a short smoke. Thanks for the review
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Currently smoking this cigar and love it. For the price point you can't beat this stick.
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Great review...I LOVE the Oscuro version of this stick.
I love the Colorado and didn't know there was an Oscuro!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
GHC_Hambone

Hmm...had one before and didn't really enjoy it. But based on everyone's comments I may have to give it another try and for the price I am willing to.