Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #1661
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Photography Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Very VERY interesting test done here:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.4-article...d_summary.html

I knew cheap filters could affect your pictures, but I honestly had no idea how much. I'm taking the crap UV filters I bought from Best Buy off my lenses immediately and getting some nice ones.
Thanks for the link Brian. I've seen similar tests done. One of the best pieces of advice I heard awhile back.......if you buy an expensive lens with expensive glass in it, why would you put a cheap filter on it and risk adversely affecting your images.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #1662
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
Thanks for the link Brian. I've seen similar tests done. One of the best pieces of advice I heard awhile back.......if you buy an expensive lens with expensive glass in it, why would you put a cheap filter on it and risk adversely affecting your images.
Unfortunately I only heard that recently, so I've been shooting for awhile with UV filters on my lenses that who knows how much they affect my photos I don't think they're crappy filters, I don't even remember what brand, but I know I didn't pay more than $30-40 for them.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #1663
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Looking at those tests, I would still go with the B&W filters, I wack my gear all over the place and generally treat it like the tool it is for me. The B&W's have never gotten scratched or loose or anything in the 10+ years I have been shooting. All of the hoyo's I have used have been pretty weeny.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #1664
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAbbott View Post
Looking at those tests, I would still go with the B&W filters, I wack my gear all over the place and generally treat it like the tool it is for me. The B&W's have never gotten scratched or loose or anything in the 10+ years I have been shooting. All of the hoyo's I have used have been pretty weeny.
I noticed in that test they didn't have access to B+W filters. I've seen a few tests with them and they always rate very high. Looks like Amazon has several and the prices seem very good.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #1665
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well, I'm officially in over my head
Just ordered this lens, I rented one a few months ago and loved it.

Lens by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
That puppy's been livin on my camera for about a year now. I love it and you will NOT regret that purchase. The 50mm 1.2 (L) is going to be my next purchase. I'm a sucker for primes.
ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #1666
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Well, I'm officially in over my head
Just ordered this lens, I rented one a few months ago and loved it.

Lens by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Oh man, have fun! That is one of my favorite lenses! I find that at weddings about 2/3 of my shots end up being from that lens, it simply never leaves one of my cameras!

Only problem I've had with mine is that its gotten loose with age, pointing the camera downwards will extend the lens on its own... annoying at times... but I couldn't be happier with the lens and would buy another in a heartbeat.

(using a on 5D btw, so its plenty wide enough... can't get used to it on a cropped sensor.. usually end up using a 17-35 on that camera.

Quote:
not even close Justin. I rented one and saw the difference better glass can make. I cringe like crazy spending more for the lens than I did for my camera.
But I compare it to going from a point and shoot and a DSLR, the pictures come out so much better. This will be the only L lens I buy, unless I start getting paid for what I do and there is no plan for doing that, besides, I'm no where near good enough.

I should mention also that it is a refurbished lens from Canon. I can't see spending retail on a lens that has been fully checked, with the refurb, they fix what was broken and fully test the lens before reselling it. Granted the warranty is only 90 days, but if it's been fully inspected, I see no reason for failures anytime soon.
You would be shocked and amazed at how many people will pay good money for work that we would consider to be "sub-par" ..... Do understand that I am by no means advocating lazy and crappy pictures!!! We should always strive to do the best we can... but don't let self doubt sell yourself short because other people are better.... there will ALWAYS be someone better! I've been there, I've gotten caught up looking at other people's breathtakingly amazing work that's just out of my league... and I lose sight of the fact that I can take a good pic too! Remember, there's always someone worse than you too.... AND they're getting paid! Always be honest about what you can do for someone, have plenty of examples of your work, and don't be afraid to put yourself out there.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #1667
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I've been giving some serious thought to trading my 18-55IS and 55-250IS for a super zoom like the Tamron 18-270. I almost grabbed a Sigma 18-250 cheap but the lack of IS gave me pause. I keep going back and forth - it would strictly be for convenience sake to not have to carry around 2 lens and/or potentially miss a shot due to needing to stop and swap lenses.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #1668
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
I've been giving some serious thought to trading my 18-55IS and 55-250IS for a super zoom like the Tamron 18-270. I almost grabbed a Sigma 18-250 cheap but the lack of IS gave me pause. I keep going back and forth - it would strictly be for convenience sake to not have to carry around 2 lens and/or potentially miss a shot due to needing to stop and swap lenses.
Andrew I have a Sigma 70-300 without IS and it does good at the shorter distance, but at 150+ without IS, I get a lot of OOF shots. A tripod is almost necessary unless you have a bunch of light (outdoors).
Old 02-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #1669
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Andrew I have a Sigma 70-300 without IS and it does good at the shorter distance, but at 150+ without IS, I get a lot of OOF shots. A tripod is almost necessary unless you have a bunch of light (outdoors).
Thanks Jeff...that was why I held off. The whole point of this lens would be for "walkabout" so by definition with no tripod. I try not to be a cheapskate since I realize that photography is not a cheap hobby but dropping $500 for a lens to put on my $400 camera is a tough one for me. Plus I am really happy with the IQ on the two lenses I have.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 AM   #1670
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Drop $400 for a second camera. Lens changing problem solved, and you saved $100
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #1671
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Drop $400 for a second camera. Lens changing problem solved, and you saved $100
Haha! Doesn't solve my "lighter camera bag" problem though.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #1672
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

The new toy arrived today. So be prepared to see a bunch of random meaningless pics.
This thing looks brand new, no lens creep, I can't find any indications that this is a refurb.
If anyone has thought about buying a refurb Canon lens, I'd say do it!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #1673
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

where did you buy it from?
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM   #1674
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonlady View Post
where did you buy it from?
From the Canon Direct website. CanonDirect
Old 02-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #1675
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Of course the first pic I post with the new lens would be.....

New lens makes me happy by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #1676
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #1677
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

My son, we were waiting for the bus the other morning and I had the camera, he is a complete ham when it comes to getting his picture taken.

Josh - waiting for the bus by Jeff Carroll01, on Flickr
Old 02-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #1678
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

Looking back through last year's photoalbums:

ambientboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #1679
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Nice shots Dan!! The first one is a nice perspective of the mountain top......at least I'm assuming that's a mountain top.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #1680
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Stunning pics Dan.. btw who's the hottie in the last pic?
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote