Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default This is getting tiresome

I have had a visa check/debit card for a great number of years. Once in the early 90s it was compromised for less than $200.00 and my bank gave me a provisional credit the same day I reported the fraudulent charge. Did good for a long time, then last September we went to Alabama to visit my wife's brother. We used my wife's card once at a convenience store across the street from the Opry Land Hotel in Nashville and the bum behind the counter must have used a skimmer to steal her info because we had a couple charges that were fraudulent and we reported it. Now you have to get a police report and then go fill out paperwork at my CU. I did that and got the money back very quickly that time too. I go on my CUs website tonight and see a pending transaction to a place called Getty Images, which i have never did business with or heard of. Call the number on the card and report it stolen. Just getting sick of having to do this so often. I do use this card for paying bills online and other online transactions occasionally. Usually they are to main line businesses such as amazon and places like that. I do use heypal when it's available as a payment option. Guess I gotta do some research to find a better way.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future
Default Re: This is getting tiresome

That sucks!!! I have it done to me once. It is a pain in the A$$ to deal with. Sorry you have to deal with it again.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Sorry to hear this, I've had it happen a few times as well, and it's a huge hassle. Hope you get it resolved quickly.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Sorry it happened to you again Greg. Hopefully it is resolved quickly.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

im with everyone on this. it has happened to me a few times too. what i do now is i use my joint account for bills and food and use my personal checking for online shopping or at the store.

also i try to stay away from places where i have to hand over my card and lose sight of it for example fast food drive up window and what not.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Sorry to hear. I do feel your frustration! Alas, i don't think there really is anyway to avoid it w/o complicating your OWN life greatly.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

I've been lucky enough to avoid any fraudulent charges with my stuff so far, but I'm always worried. The nice thing about CU's is they will typically always have your back. I remember back when I ordered a bunch of rubik's cubes from China, my CU actually froze my card due to thinking they were fraudulent, and as much as it sucked to find out it was frozen at a drive through, I was glad they actually had the presence of mind to do so.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #8
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about it Greg! Hope you get it worked out!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sorry To Hear, Greg. Hope It's Resolved Soon.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Greg...hope all is resolved in a quick and timely manner brother. See you next week.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #11
Devanmc
Have My Own Room

First Name: Devan
Trading: (40)
RyJ Army (Disabled Vet)
Devanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the roughDevanmc is a jewel in the rough

sorry to hear greg.

i see these stories all the time and im thankful it hasnt happened to me. But im curious how it happens. Becuase ive never had a problem with having my card stolen or identity. I have my run-ins with bad sellers on pp but never had fraudulent charges. this isnt to say i use my car wisely either. Ive used it at places i figured would steal my indentity for sure.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:19 AM   #12
w squared

I think that I've just had fairly good luck so far. My bank phones me up to report that they thought my card had been compromised, so they couriered a new one out to me - minimal disruption to me other than needing to set up a new credit card number with Itunes.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I never use my debit card for online transactions, and only a very few brick and mortar establishments whom I know I can trust (that is, people who work there whom I am familiar with, almost on a first name basis) Hope you get this worked out; if someone dips into your checking account, the mortgage company doesn't care one bit if you don't have the cash to swing the next house payment...PAY me!!!!