Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #21
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough
Default Re: We Think Lisa's Identity Just Got Stolen and Someone Bought a Car

72 payments at 347.40 is $25012.80, which is roughly a car valued at $18,200 with no trade in, no down payment, ~9% interest loan, and the 6% PA sales tax factored in.

My experience is that banks typically don't like to loan money for 6 years, it's a long duration and a lot can change in 6 years. And if you total the car in a couple years, the bank has nothing to repo which means they have to waste time and money coming after the person's other assets....an all around loss for the bank. This is one of the reasons typical car loans are 1-3 years, with the unusual long loans being up to 5.

Hence, banks typically won't loan that kind of money out without some serious tangible collateral backing it. I would make damned sure your house or other personal vehicles and assets haven't been used as a guarantee for the loan. Where I live, a state title search (which is a royal PITA to obtain sometimes) will show if an asset has been used as backing for a loan of any type. I would see if Ohio has anything similar.

Good luck man, hope you come out of this one better than you went into it.

Cornrow: I'm pretty sure they would just put you away for Attempted Murder First

Last edited by Silound; 11-03-2011 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Posts happened before I hit submit with more information.
Silound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:30 PM   #22
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Frank, the people used old info. The loan is in her last surname (smith), not our last name. She got her new driver's license immediately after we got married because we needed it to get passports to go on our honeymoon. That all happened last January.
She only lived at this address for a short time under her old name, and the loan is addressed to our current address.
That in itself shows someone didn't do their due diligence along the way, I'd think. Whoever got the loan used expired info, so it had to be info they got from before last January.
That's why I'm thinking it was lifted from one of the hotels she worked at.

Lisa is awesome at paperwork and she's taking this all in stride. Nothing slips through her fingers. She already has this nailed down tight and the loan booklet only showed up an hour and 45 minutes ago.
dont be surprised too scott if this wasnt a inside job between the thief and car salesman.

down here in south florida we were having peoples credit card info (along with other personal info from fast food joints and stores with skimmers) and they would in turn sell all the info to the scammers. those scammers would in turn give the info to people they knew who worked at other stores who would open up lines of credit and run up the bill within 24 hours before the victim even knew what hit them.

another problem was people taking the elderly info from the mail at nursing homes and using that with people on the inside of banks to open lines of credit or withdraw all the money from savings.

again good luck brother and if you need anything contact me!!!!

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #23
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for your troubles, Scott. Love your upbeat attitude with everything that seems to hit you. Wish I had half of that attitude.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM   #24
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

I hope the thief gets burned for doing this. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #25
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
That's all kinds of f'd up. Seems like the responsible party would be the auto dealer who set up the loan financing--what the heck kind of lax requirements do they have?!

When my wife's employer accidentally released personnel records when they updated one of their servers (so if you Googled her name, tons of stuff, including SSN, performance appraisals, etc.) were available, we had to go with one of the identity protection bureaus. At least it was paid for by her employer. Haven't had any issues as a result of the breach, so we're fortunate so far.
Gerard, Lisa signed us up for LifeLock. It was a toss-up between them and Identity Guard. LifeLock is the outfit that ran around with the guy's social security number on the side of the van. I remembered thinking that was pretty cool when I saw it.
I checked all the Consumer Reviews and those two companies were neck and neck. There are four of those types of outfits that are all pretty equal but the top two are the ones I mentioned.
They're about $100-$250 a year, which is a bit painful, but they'll provide us with all the credit reports we need and will monitor our names, address, ssn, everything from here on out.
It can't undo the damage that's been done, but it will halt anything that happend from here on. There's $1,000,000 identity theft insurance included and all sorts of other benefits, too. It's a tremendous service and a real Godsend for us right now.
I can't thank you enough for just mentioning it, it's really gone miles toward putting us at ease.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

So Sorry To Hear This, Scott. Thoughts & Prayers Sent For A Quick Resolution, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear Scott, that kinda makes my little compromised CC seem like small fries brother.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #28
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold

Sorry to hear about that Scott. I hope you and Lisa get it rectified swiftly!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #29
Starz26
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Eric
Trading: (22)
Army (Served With Honor)
Starz26 will become famous soon enough

Scott,

Sorry to hear, glad you caught it though...

Funny thing about lifelong, you can do everything they do for free, it just takes some work......oh, and the founder had his identity stolen after plastering his SSN all over the place

Quote:
Gerard, Lisa signed us up for LifeLock. It was a toss-up between them and Identity Guard. LifeLock is the outfit that ran around with the guy's social security number on the side of the van. I remembered thinking that was pretty cool when I saw it.
I checked all the Consumer Reviews and those two companies were neck and neck. There are four of those types of outfits that are all pretty equal but the top two are the ones I mentioned.
They're about $100-$250 a year, which is a bit painful, but they'll provide us with all the credit reports we need and will monitor our names, address, ssn, everything from here on out.
It can't undo the damage that's been done, but it will halt anything that happend from here on. There's $1,000,000 identity theft insurance included and all sorts of other benefits, too. It's a tremendous service and a real Godsend for us right now.
I can't thank you enough for just mentioning it, it's really gone miles toward putting us at ease.
Starz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
72 payments at 347.40 is $25012.80, which is roughly a car valued at $18,200 with no trade in, no down payment, ~9% interest loan, and the 6% PA sales tax factored in.
It's funny you mentioned all this. Lisa crunched the numbers herself while she was at the cop shop. With her excellent credit, the interest would be much lower and a 72 month loan is cake to get around here (and in PA, as well).
We figure our benefactor is driving around in a brand new car valued at right around $20,000 or a little better. That's not a bad day's work.

Last edited by shilala; 11-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #31
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about his Scott. Sounds like Weezy has this locked and loaded. Positive thoughts for a very swift outcome.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz26 View Post
Scott,

Sorry to hear, glad you caught it though...

Funny thing about lifelong, you can do everything they do for free, it just takes some work......oh, and the founder had his identity stolen after plastering his SSN all over the place
I went and looked up about the LifeLock guy. He had his identity stolen 13 times.
They also got fined $12,000,000 by the FCC for deceptive business practices, and news surfaced that the co-founder once stole his own father's identity in order to get an American Express card, so he resigned.
Honest to God, this world is screwed up.
Fortunately it'll still feed us the info we need in one easy place. Weeze doesn't have time to chase this thing all day every day. It'll allow her to keep an eye on what's happening, so it's still worth the price.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #33
G G
BR549

Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Honest to God, this world is screwed up
That is a fact.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #34
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I was thinking on this for a minute.
In my lifetime I've had my truck stolen from my driveway (never recovered), my house robbed twice, my credit card info stolen and used, my credit cards stolen and the theif tried to use them, and I've had my car broken into and robbed twice.
I also had money stolen by a babysitter a number of times until I finally caught her, a friend stole my medication, and one time someone stole my handgun but returned it later and then told me he did it. I also had my safe broken into at my house once.
Now this. I can't count this because it happened to Lisa directly, but we're a unit, so I suppose I can count it.
Those are just the things I could think of right off the top of my head, too. I must be charmed.
Maybe this is the last one.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #35
IBQTEE1
Crazy K

First Name: Kristin
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
IBQTEE1 has disabled reputation

Holy crap I thought I had some issues. I hope that everything works out Scott. Sounds like you and Lisa will get this taken care of.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #36
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Scott, hope this service works out for you. My wife (also a Lisa ) sounds as tenacious about banking records, paperwork, etc., as your Lisa. Her employer enrolled everyone in Experian

http://www.experian.com/consumer-pro...rotection.html

I don't know much about these kinds of services because up until now, we haven't felt the need to use one.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
BC-Axeman

The car has probably already been chopped, too. It's not much good to drive around in.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Today's Update...
It appears that it's not a malicious thing at all.
Somehow the retards at Great Lakes Hyundai, where we bought Lisa's car last February, transposed a bunch of information.
Some lady whose name happens to be Lisa M. Smith bought a car from them recently. My Lisa used to be Lisa L. Smith. We were already married and she has my name, so how these retards managed to transpose all this info and bill us was beyond me until I did some thinking.
(Funny thing is, I was just there today looking at cars, I need a new one.
The other funny thing is that last night I told Lisa that I pretty much guarantee that this problem came from Great Lakes Hyundai.)
Anyways, we realized that we began shopping there BEFORE she changed her name. They took a photocopy of Lisa's licensce for test-drive purposes. Last night we only realized that she had her new license when we bought the car.
So they managed to use my wife's photocopy of her old license from almost a year ago to bill the car to us and make a mess of Lisa's perfect credit.
Guess who will be paying to fix all this?
Now that I realize the extent of stupidity and piss-poor lacsidaisical work performance that's caused us this grief, the good folks at Great Lakes Hyundai are in for a heaping helping of shilala charm.
May God have mercy on them, because I certainly won't.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #39
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Glad you found out the problem, wow what negligence. Let em' have it Scott!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

This is still preliminary, Bill. The lady from PNC bank called and that's how we figured out Great Lakes was where the problem started. We'll have proof of that in the coming days.
In the meantime the bank is fixing their end and sending Lisa an affidavit she has to fill out. The LifeLock thing should allow us to see what's happened to Lisa's credit and make sure nothing else is at play here.
Once I have all the info, then we'll decide together what we do and how bad I hammer Great Lakes. So far it's been a minimal investment of time and money, but we're not paying a dime for their mistakes. We don't mind the time so much because we understand people do make mistakes, but had I ever made an error of this proportion in my career, I'd certainly expect to be looking for a job. I don't want to see someone get fired, but I will insist that I speak to them directly.