Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about
Default Aw Man

Last night, While I was heading to the store, and then to enjoy a Excalibur 1066 looking over the Valley, my wife calls me, as soon as a park and cut the cigar.

She tells me in a panic voice, 'I think some water pipe has broke!'

I ask her, Well, How do you know. She said, She was in the shower, Heard a loud noise and the shower stopped. Downstairs water is all over the place.

I smash home, in a rush, planning for the worse.

I get home. She ran across the street to get the neighbors help to turn the main source of water off.

The entry way and downstairs rooms' entry way have a good 1/4 inch of water on the tile. Water is dripping from the air vent in the ceiling, water is coming out of the walls in the garage and outside by the front door.

We had to move all the boxes, dry it all up, using towels, comforters and a shop vac.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, but not something you want to happen for the weekend, or at all. Her birthday is today as well.

I call my insurance right away, to get a claim started just in case.

I know nothing about plumbing, so I have to find someone to come out, see where it has busted. Need to see if I would rather use insurance or tackle this on my own. My dad is only 2 hours away and has done construction all his life... Maybe a job for him.

I will have a guy come out and asses the damage. This morning, It doesn't look to bad. Walls/sheet rock still feel solid and no color change.

Hard to take a shower when it is 30-40 degrees here in Southern Oregon with only cold water.

AMAZINGLY, I held my composure and did not flip out. A real shocker for me. I did however, end up enjoying the 1066 while things were drying out.

Let's see how the rest of the weekend goes... Since it didn't start to good.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aw Man

Best of luck with that crazy situation! I find it pretty awesome though that you still made time for a smoke! Gotta find the positives in everything right? I think that the insurance should cover most if not all of that for you anyway. Just sucks to have to deal with...

Take care!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Hope all works out for you man, that sucks. Happy birthday Mrs. Garry lol
Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Not a good way to start the weekend Garry, hope it all gets resolved quickly and relatively painless. I too like the fact that you managed to work in the smoke.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear Garry. Love how you didn't miss a beat with enjoying that stick.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Ouch, not a great way to start a weekend....but happy to hear that it sounds like you caught it early, before too much damage could be done.

Here's to a good rest of your weekend & happy birthday to Mrs. garryyjr!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

That sucks man, hope it all works out ok.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Dealt with a couple floods of my own last month, hope you get it resolved soon!
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

All fixed.. I had a buddy who had a buddy who does plumbing. We ended up cutting two holes, On was in a closet. He seen where the pipe was. He had to cut another one in the ceiling as soon as you enter the front door.

There it was. A band/clamp had cracked causing the elbow to come out and spray like crazy.

Insurance wanted the $500.00 deductible, other company's wanted 150/hr on Saturday, 200/hr Sunday and 100/hr Monday.

Due to it being a side job, I got it done for 120.00 TOTAL. All I have to do now it patch the Sheetrock. No biggie.

Man was it nice to take a warm shower!

Also, Why it was being done I enjoyed a Gran Habano Azteca Fuerte. Those are pretty good.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Nice, $120 is an awesome price. It's good to have friends in the business! Glad to hear you got it taken care of.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

No kidding, even at 200, it saved me 300.. Still money for beers and cigars on this lovely football Sunday!
Old 11-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Good on you!
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote