Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #281
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '09-'10

Oh, and Iowa State is only 4 behind K-State, with over 5 minutes left.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #282
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Texas Tech 81 - Oklahoma State 74. Arkansas 82 - Auburn 79 (OT). And Richmond Spiders 8 seconds from biting Temple Owls badly.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #283
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Richmond 71 - Temple 54 = The win does not shock me, but the margin's a surprise.
Minnesota 66 - Penn State 64 = The win does not surprise me, but the margin's a shock.

And Dook/BC a 2-point game with 26 ticks left.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #284
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Blue Devils hold on to edge Eagles 66-63, in one tough fight. And speaking of tough fights, Charlotte had to battle all afternoon to best the 2-19 Fordam Rams 77-72, in a game that was much closer than that final.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #285
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

And another one that was closer than it prolly should have been:

Kansas State 79 - Iowa State 75.

I'm going away soon, so you take care, and take care of your own updates too. Enjoy.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #286
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, since it has gotten to that point in the season where fewer things truly matter, although they may matter more, I'll just hit the highlights of the weekend action. On the balance of the games from Saturday 2/6:

Georgia 72 - Vanderbilt 58 = The fact that the Bulldogs won does not surprise me all that much, as they have proven they can, on occasion anyway, play a good game. But that large a margin over what should have been a superior Commodore team does puzzle me a bit.

Georgia Tech 73 - N.C. State 71 = And here's just one more tough loss for the Wolfpack.

Illinois 78 - Michigan State 73 = After winning 10 inna row, the Spartans have now lost 2 straight without Kalin Lucas on the floor. Since they have Purdue tomorrow, it may just get worse for them.

Oklahoma 80 - Texas 71 = And after reaching the #1 ranking for the first time in school history, the Longhorns have lost 4 of their last 6 games. It might get even worse for them also, tonight, as you will see below.

Texas A&M 78 - Baylor 71 = This does not make up for the Aggie losses to K-State and Texas, and certainly not the one to Oak State, but it doesn't hurt them in the least.

California 72 - UCLA 58 = And this is the only Pac-10 score I'll mention today, as it's the one that matters. It put the Bears back on top of the league at 7-4, with only 5 other teams on their short fuzzy tails with 6-5 records.

UNLV 73 - BYU 74 = And I've tried to tell you earlier that I did not BUY into BYU. Sure they have only 3 losses, but that makes 2 in the last 2 weeks. Furthermore, they just edged the Runnin' Rebels their first meeting, and just squeeked by Fresno State, UTEP, and San Diego State also. Finally, their schedule has more cupcakes than a kid's birthday party. And speaking of UTEP . . .

UTEP 73 - Tulsa 59 = Not only did the Miners spank their conference rivals, but it puts them in sole possession of the CUSA league lead . . . though Tulsa, UAB, and Memphis are still in the hunt.

On Sunday there were a few marquee games, including another stinker by my Heels, but only one with any real significance:

Syracuse 71 - Cincinnati 54 = Although neither the game nor the score was any shock at all, the win did move the Orange up to #2 in today's polls, right behind the Jayhawks. This is their highest ranking in a decade. Let's see now how long they can hold onto it.

There are only a few games to take note of tonight. To finish the point I started to make above:

Kansas vs. Texas = Like I said, it gets no easier for the 'Horns. Back on 2/1 Rick Barnes was quoted as saying that "sometimes adversity is good." That being the case, it will likely get even better for Texas this evening.

Villanova vs. West Virginia = And the Big East isn't totally Orange yet. Both these teams are still very much in the hunt, and 'Nova even gets to host the 'Cuse late this month.

Siena vs. Fairfield = And here's a key part of the race for the MAAC lead, as these two . . . along with Iona and St. Peter's . . . are the class of this conference.

As always, enjoy.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #287
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Sorry that I've missed a few days, but Tuesday I had too much work to complete before I had too much snow to work at all on Wednesday. Well, the world's a bit back to normal now, so lemme catch you up on my notable highlights. And hey, if you have any of your own to add, don't by shy.

On Monday 2/8:

Kansas 80 - Texas 68 = If I remember correctly, I said things would just get worse for the Longhorns.

Villanova 82 - West Virginia 75 = Just the tight tough battle one would expect.

Siena 69 - Fairfield 67 = For those of you who have yet to pay attention, there's some hellacious good mid-major games played.

On Tuesday 2/9:

Kentucky 66 - Alabama 55 = A decent enough margin of victory, I guess, though not the stomping one might have expected.

Purdue 76 - Michigan State 64 = The Boilermakers seem to have gotten over their earlier slump, while the Spartans have fallen into a funk.

Georgetown 79 - Providence 70 = OK, as the Friars are about the same level as the aforementioned Tide, this can be considered an so-so win by the Hoyas, but no more.

Vanderbilt 90 - Tennessee 71 = You want your good win? Well, here the Comms gave you one.

Illinois 63 - Wisconsin 56 - And here might be a better one. The Illini have gotten a bit warm, and this makes 5 Ws inna row now . . . and they preceeded this one with their besting of the Spartans.

On Wednesday 2/10:

Miami 64 - Georgia Tech 62 = Seems like this Yellow Jacket team only shows up for every other game. Well, I guess that's better than:

Duke 64 - UNC 54 = At this point the score is no surprise to anyone . . . except maybe that the Heels kept it this close. But it is THE GAME, so one has to report on it.

Syracuse 72 - U. Conn 67 = Under normal circumstances, I'd call this one a great win for the Orange. However, circumstances are not so normal this season, as 'Cuse has been hot while the Huskies have been dogging it. A five-point victory is better than a one-point loss, yet I'd have thought it should be more. Shows what I know.

Tonight there are a fair number of contests, including a slew of Pac-10 games, which will probably just add to the clumping of these lumpkins. Yet I only spotted two games which piqued my jones:

Mississippi vs. Mississippi State = Here are two pretty good and well-matched in-state conference rivals. What the hell else would you want?

Gonzaga vs. St. Mary's = You want some more? Well, here's some more! You all have likely heard of Gonzaga, and they are still ranked, as they have been most (if not all) of the season . . . for years now. But their overall record is 19-4, and they are 7-1 in the West Coast Conference. St. Mary's? The are 21-3, and 8-1 in the WCC. Think this ain't a big game?

As always, enjoy.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #288
BryanB
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bryan
Trading: (58)
VR
BryanB has a spectacular aura aboutBryanB has a spectacular aura about

A win is a win. Go Duke
Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #289
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
A win is a win. Go Duke
And you know precisely where you can go, don't you? That way.

Sorry that I again had too much work to update yesterday, but I'll start working on it now and be back to youse guys ASAP.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #290
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

OK, here we go with updates on the action that wiggled my noodle.

On Thursday 2/11:

California 93 - Washington 81 = Alright, so not so much a national wiggle here, but it does keep the Golden Bears atop the Pac-10 . . . for what that's worth.

Gonzaga 80 - St. Mary's 61 = The 'Zags laid a pretty good spanking on the Gaels up in Spokane.

Michigan 71 - Minnesota 63 = And the Wolverines have started to play a little bit better. They still stink, but they no longer totally suck.

Mississippi State 71 - Mississippi 63 = The win keeps MS in their division hunt.

St. John's 74 - Louisville 55 = "Back when" this score would not shock anybody, but in today's world this is pretty hard to believe. Hey, I know the Cardinals fairly reek, but I didn't think they were that bad.

Butler 68 - Youngstown State 57 = And why this one? Well, on the surface it may look just like another W for this ranked team. But look deeper and note that YS is only 2-12 in the Horizon Conference, and 8-16 overall, and then that 11-point bulge does not look as nice as it first appears.

On Friday 2/12:

Niagara 87 - Siena 74 = Maybe it's a good thing I had no chance to update yesterday, as I'd have given Niagara that same no chance. They are a so-so .500 mid-major team, whereas Siena should maybe have come into this game as a ranked opponent. But that's why they play the games. Not only did this end Siena's 15-game winning streak, it also gave them their first MAAC loss.

Pennsylvania 79 - Cornell 64 = And here we have some more of the same. Penn is 4-15 overall, and Cornell 20-4, so who'd have picked them to be 15 points better than the Red?

Pittsburgh 98 - West Virginia 95 (3 OT) = Wow. OK, Pitt is better than both Niagara and Penn, but WVA should have been better than Pitt also. Plus, 3 OTs? I repeat . . . wow.

Today's action is already underway, and I'll be back soon with some scores. Until then, here's a quick rundown of some of the matchups:

U. Conn vs. Cincinnati = Both teams are in need of a win for a bit of respect, and Calhoun is back. So far it's a pretty good game, and we'll see if it stays that way.

Michigan State vs. Penn State = And this one, shockingly, is a one-point game well into the second stanza. Stay tuned.

Duke vs. Maryland = It's in Cameron, so I'd expect the Blue Devils to hold onto their ACC lead.

Vanderbilt vs. LSU = On paper, it's no contest. Yet the Commodores have failed to show up on occasion, so who knows?

Baylor vs. Missouri = And this one should be a war from start to finish.

Wisconsin vs. Indiana = And this one should not be.

Villanova vs. Providence = 'Nova has a decided edge, yet it may be tighter than they'd prefer.

UNC vs. N.C. State = OK, so nobody but me and Jerry (Col. Kurtz) cares about this one, but it is a battle to stay out of the cellar. And it is in Chapel Hill, so the Heels won't have a long busride, win or lose.

Texas vs. Nebraska = I foresee the 'Horns getting off their recent snide today. If they don't, somebody should shoot them.

UNLV vs. San Diego State = And I foresee this one being one close fight.

Temple vs. Rhode Island = Here too. The Owls get all the press, but RI's got a decent team too.

Purdue vs. Iowa = Speaking of decent teams, there is one in this game too.

Florida vs. Xavier = You want you some good non-conference action today? Well, here you go.

Memphis vs. Tulsa = If the Tigers want any shot at retaining their CUSA crown by keeping in reach of not only Tulsa but UTEP and UAB also, they need this win badly. Let's see if they get it, as it won't be easy.

Virginia vs. Virginia Tech = The Cavs not only want to prove they are for real, they also want revenge on the Hokies. May be a lotta fun here.

Kansas vs. Iowa State = But don't expect much fun here . . . unless you're a complete Jayhawk homer.

Wake Forest vs. Georgia Tech = The Jackets have the ranking, but the Deacs have the better record. The gloves will be off.

Marquette vs. South Florida = And here's your two good teams nobody talks about.

Kentucky vs. Tennessee = And here's your two good teams nobody shuts up about. It's in Rupp, so I wouldn't bet on the Wildcats getting their 2nd loss . . . today.

As for tomorrow, Sunday's game include:

Syracuse vs. Louisville = The Orange will likely take it with some ease, but Pitino may still have a trick or three for Boeheim.

Ohio State vs. Illinois = The Illini have been playing much better, so give them a chance against the Buckeyes. I don't expect is, but it could happen.

Georgetown vs. Rutgers = And give the Scarlet Knights no chance in hell against the Hoyas.

Boston College vs. Florida State = OK, at last, here we have a game that's pretty evenly matched.

USC vs. UCLA = Hey, and here's another . . . if it really matters.

I'll be back with some early scores. Until then, enjoy.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #291
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

With 4 minutes left in the game, Cincy has scored only 49 total points. However, U. Conn's only scored 35. Jeez.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #292
Col. Kurtz
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jerry
Trading: (26)
RA
Col. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura aboutCol. Kurtz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
UNC vs. N.C. State = OK, so nobody but me and Jerry (Col. Kurtz) cares about this one, but it is a battle to stay out of the cellar. And it is in Chapel Hill, so the Heels won't have a long busride, win or lose.
May the not-so-worse team not lose

But who knows? This should be a low scoring turnover fest
Old 02-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #293
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

With 1:14 left, the Spartans have a 10-point edge over Penn State.

They should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #294
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz View Post
This should be a low scoring turnover fest
What makes you think so? You think maybe Roy's bringing back the Four Corners?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #295
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Final: Michigan State 65 - Penn State 54 = I don't care that it was at State College, this is NOT an impressive win.

Dook kicking the Terps shelled butts all over Durham at the half.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #296
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Cincinnati 60 - U. Conn 48 = Look at it this way: Although there wasn't a lot of scoring, the game was offensive in one way at least.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #297
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Clemson 74 - Miami 66. Duke starts off 2nd half just building on their lead. Oh, and late in the first, LSU has a 5-point edge over Vandy . . hey, I told you they don't always know when to show up!
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #298
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Dook 1 1/2 from beating Terps by 20+. Vandy shows up for 2nd half ant takes lead from LSU. Baylor/Missou tight in the 2nd, and 'Nova took only a 5-point bulge over Friars into lockerroom at the break.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #299
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Duke 77 - Maryland 56 = No surprise, thought I felt it should be closer. Also, #18 Butler (22-4) is ahead of Cleveland State (13-12) at the half . . . by a whole bucket, 29-27.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #300
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Vandy/LSU and 'Nova/Providence both tied at the moment, late & early 2nd half respt.