Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 02-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default NASCAR 2011 Thread

Congrats to Trevor Bayne and the Wood Brothers for winning the Daytona 500. Youngest Daytona 500 winner in history and the first for the Wood bros. since their 1976 win with David Pearson.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: NASCAR 2011 Thread

That was totally awesome! It is so exciting to see a 20 year old kid win.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

That was a great ending to the race.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
JDTexan
College Football Fanatic

First Name: Justin
Trading: (3)
JL
JDTexan is on a distinguished road

Yesterdays Daytona was the best racing I have seen in years.
JDTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I wish Jr. wasn't taken out, but it is what it is. I'll settle for the Wood Bros in Victory lane instead of the 88. That would have been a helluva story, having him win it on the 10yr anniversary of Sr.'s death.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
innova

Not a huge NASCAR fan, but enjoyed the race yesterday. Would like to know if someone could break down the "new style" for the rest of us, and what your take on it might be.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
Not a huge NASCAR fan, but enjoyed the race yesterday. Would like to know if someone could break down the "new style" for the rest of us, and what your take on it might be.
I'm no expert, but the "new style" is a two car draft that is much faster than the traditional multi-car draft which allows two cars to pull away quickly from the pack. The two cars can also pull the old slingshot move that was typical superspeedway racing in the 70s and 80s. Also, to go along with this two car draft, drivers were allowed to have access and communication with other drivers with different owners in order to effectively pair up and help each other.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
innova

That was a really cool dynamic it added (the negotiating between drivers). Is this 2-car draft specific to the restrictor plate raceways? Who developed it?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #9
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I'm no expert, but the "new style" is a two car draft that is much faster than the traditional multi-car draft which allows two cars to pull away quickly from the pack. The two cars can also pull the old slingshot move that was typical superspeedway racing in the 70s and 80s. Also, to go along with this two car draft, drivers were allowed to have access and communication with other drivers with different owners in order to effectively pair up and help each other.
Exactly. This "new style" was only able to happen because the track was new. No bumps makes this fresh track easy to draft on.

Awesome race! My DVR stopped recording for the last 13 laps because of all the caution flags... Wish I would have seen the final passes and crashes!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I wish Jr. wasn't taken out, but it is what it is. I'll settle for the Wood Bros in Victory lane instead of the 88. That would have been a helluva story, having him win it on the 10yr anniversary of Sr.'s death.
But after all, he won it the year after, which was probably more special.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
innova

Thanks for the insight, interesting stuff.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
But after all, he won it the year after, which was probably more special.
Very true.

RIP Dale
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Two things...I stopped watching after the burnout, so please tell me he gave ample credit to Bobby Labonte.
He would have gotten chewed up on the last lap without Labonte, and the way things went in half a lap, COULD
have finished outside the top ten because of it. Fine pairing there.

Second, I was in this morning and the guy that sits behind me said "Trevor Bayne, I never heard of him before",
and Shane said, you should have, he crossed your scales the last time we were in Tunica." I thought that was
funny, but certainly plausible. We run the World's Largest Indoor Kart race here at JAM Promotions, and we were last
in Tunica I think in 2007?? SO quite a fast rise for him, karts to victory lane in the world's most famous racing venue
in less than 5 years.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by innova View Post
That was a really cool dynamic it added (the negotiating between drivers). Is this 2-car draft specific to the restrictor plate raceways? Who developed it?
I don't think it was developed. It was just a result of the new pavement and the way this year's cars handle on that track. And yes, it's pretty much limited to Superspeedways (possibly only at Daytona). I'm not even sure if it'll happen at Talladega.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Two things...I stopped watching after the burnout, so please tell me he gave ample credit to Bobby Labonte.
He would have gotten chewed up on the last lap without Labonte, and the way things went in half a lap, COULD
have finished outside the top ten because of it. Fine pairing there.

Second, I was in this morning and the guy that sits behind me said "Trevor Bayne, I never heard of him before",
and Shane said, you should have, he crossed your scales the last time we were in Tunica." I thought that was
funny, but certainly plausible. We run the World's Largest Indoor Kart race here at JAM Promotions, and we were last
in Tunica I think in 2007?? SO quite a fast rise for him, karts to victory lane in the world's most famous racing venue
in less than 5 years.
He may have mentioned Bobby, but I don't remember it. I think he was more in shock than anything. He kept believing that it was only a dream. The main credit I remember him giving was to the Wood Brothers and justly deserved.

Insert quote here.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Happy Birthday NASCAR..63 yrs old.

Just heard this on the news
Old 02-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #17
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

I don't know which makes me happier, young Trevor Bayne winning the biggest race of the year or the Wood Brothers finally ending the drought of losing. Either way, it was a great day for both and wonderful for the NASCAR. I understand the Wood family is about the nicest bunch of people in the sport.

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote