Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (4)
paris1129 is on a distinguished road
Default Humidor drawer divider issue

Hi everyone! I have a question that hopefully someone will have some experience with. I recently purchased a montegue cabinet humidor from tampahumidor, and it really is a beautiful piece! I have been seasoning it for about 10 days now to get it up to 68-70 rh. I am now in the process of placing some singles in the top drawer, but I just discovered that the divider pieces provided do not seem to stay in place. There is a white putty like substance on each end that is supposed to hold the divider in place. I've seen this stuff on other dividers, including in my desktop humi. However, the stuff that came on the dividers with the montegue are brittle and there isn't much of it on there, so the dividers slide out of place and fall down anytime I place a cigar near it! Does anybody know of a substance that I can put on the tray dividers to tighten the fit a bit? I am concerned about using something that might have a smell that bleeds onto my sticks or a chemical that might induce mold, etc. Any suggestions on how I can get my dividers tight?

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
paris1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation
Default Re: Humidor drawer divider issue

Did you humidify the dividers at the same time you did the humidor? If not they are drier and may expand when at the same rh as the box. You can build up the ends with masking tape if they still need tightening.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Did you humidify the dividers at the same time you did the humidor? If not they are drier and may expand when at the same rh as the box. You can build up the ends with masking tape if they still need tightening.

If you have a large gap to build up, rather than masking tape, self-adhesive vinyl foam weatherstripping might work well too.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Try some "Tacky Wax". It's used to keep display items in place.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wax_6_oz.html
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
Try some "Tacky Wax". It's used to keep display items in place.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Wax_6_oz.html
from the item description:

Quote:
Features

Bard's Tacky Wax is ideal for positioning small items or preventing slipping or moving of items on display or in still life arrangements. Long a favorite of tabletop and small product photographers, Tacky wax is also popular with artists who value its light, repositionable adhesive (tack) qualities. Tacky Wax does not stain and washes off with warm water.
The water soluble part makes me wonder how well it would hold up for long term use in a humid environment like a humidor.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Gorilla glue and felt disks
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
basso4735

try to find some thin foam with 1 sticky side. probably a crafts store will have something that will work.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
from the item description:

The water soluble part makes me wonder how well it would hold up for long term use in a humid environment like a humidor.
They use it in museums. I suppose that as long as the humi doesn't get too warm...
Old 12-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
ChasDen

Although the normal foam strip you find on the end of dividers has many uses, its primary use is in the window industry. It’s used to seal the gaps between many surfaces. It’s not as thick as standard weather-stripping and can often be found in between a stationary window and a sliding window. It comes in various widths and thicknesses and is not generally available in hardware stores. The weather stripping you will find in most retail stores is much thicker. The problem of dividers being too big or too small is very common. I have been struggling with finding the exact size that is somewhere in between too small and too big for my trays. One batch they are fine when they are shipped, but are too big later or shrink and become too small. Lots of good suggestions so far, basically anything that will fill the gap will solve the problem.

Chas
Old 12-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Thanks for the suggestions. So regular masking tape or foam shouldn't cause any "contamination" issues? I thought about that, but wanted to see if there was some side effect that I wouldn't think of. And yes, I did humidify the dividers at the same time, I left them in the drawer for the past week.

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
ChasDen

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1129 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So regular masking tape or foam shouldn't cause any "contamination" issues? I thought about that, but wanted to see if there was some side effect that I wouldn't think of. And yes, I did humidify the dividers at the same time, I left them in the drawer for the past week.
Nope

Chas
Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #12
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

How about using the cloth loop portion of Velcro strips? You could wrap them around the ends of the dividers.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
tenbaseg
Saying no to daily deals!

First Name: Garrett
Trading: (40)
tenbaseg will become famous soon enoughtenbaseg will become famous soon enough

How about cutting up one of the felt pads that stick to the bottom of chairs to protect the floor?
tenbaseg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
paris1129
Adjusting to the Life

Thanks for all the tips, guys. For anyone down the road who has a similiar issue, I actually used a Dr. Scholles moleskin pad and cut a think strip. It has adhesive on one side, and it worked perfect to hold my divider in place. I'm actually thinking of putting it on the other dividers as well!