Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Magma
AKA Even Steven

Trading: (0)
RA
Magma is on a distinguished road
Default Traveling tips for a first lone traveler?

I'm flying from Hawaii(home) to Seattle to visit my cousin, it's gonna be just me and I'll be stayin in the Pan Pacific.
My cousin has a few things lined up for us for the week that I'm there so as far as 'what to do' is covered.
Is there anything that I should know or pay close attention to?

I know it can't be hard to just travel alone but I guess I'm just a little nervous, mostly because I'm leaving the islands which is something I hardly do and never did alone.

Anyway, anyone got a few simple tips? for example: don't talk to strangers lol.
or "carry _____ at all times", "don't ever do this ________".

Anything?
Magma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Traveling tips for a first lone traveler?

just use common sense. no dark alleys, dont take candy from strangers, etc.

The biggest difference youll notice is that the pace is much different from the islands. Also, people are not as friendly as in hawaii.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Sailkat
Smooth sailing

First Name: Kat
Trading: (5)
Sailkat has a spectacular aura aboutSailkat has a spectacular aura about

I have travelled alot by myself over the years and I'm sure you will do just fine.
A couple of things I usually do that make me more comfortable -
I always take a change of clothes in my carryon bag just in case my checked luggage does not arrive and I take an cheap nightlight to plug-in in the hotel room.....helps me get oriented if I wake up in the middle of the night.

A good book for the plane is always a plus.

Have a great trip!!
Sailkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Seattle is about the friendliest city on the planet. Don't do anything stupid after dark, be sure to ask at the hotel about areas to avoid. Do see the aquarium, Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, take the underground tour. Don't pay to get to the top of the Space Needle - it isn't worth a fraction of what they charge. The city is very pedestrian friendly and has a decent bus service. Asking strangers questions is a Seattle trademark and you'll get plenty of conversation out of it.

What you will find is many, many restaurants. Be adventurous, try something new.

Also, PM fishbeadtwo about getting together for a herf or two with the Smokey Joe's crowd. Hard to find a better group anywhere.

I lived there for 5 years and still visit frequently (I'm 3 hours away in Portland). Depending on the timing, I may be able to come up for a herf.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
lightning9191
I think I'm normal...

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (8)
lightning9191 has disabled reputation

I've done some travel alone in the US and in foreign lands. Don't look like a tourist. Walk like you know where you are going and don't be afraid to get a little lost. These little adventures can get you places that most people don't see. Don't be afraid to talk to people. I've talked to many interesting folks just by chatting them up. Ask them what they would recommend you see while there. Learn what you can before you get there. Have fun and safe travels!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Magma
AKA Even Steven

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
just use common sense. no dark alleys, dont take candy from strangers, etc.

The biggest difference youll notice is that the pace is much different from the islands. Also, people are not as friendly as in hawaii.
noted, and yea, looks like I'll have to bring the "aloha spirit" to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
always have a cell phone with you when travelling and don't use those pesky travel bags that fit around your waist. Nothing says tourist quite like having one of those and that is the first thing that attracts pick pockets. Enjoy your trip!
Yup, I'm bringing my mobile, I just hope I'll always have reception for the 'just in case' situations. Haha, nah I never uses those bags, at my age and the way I look; all that bags says is "drug dealer".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailkat View Post
I have travelled alot by myself over the years and I'm sure you will do just fine.
A couple of things I usually do that make me more comfortable -
I always take a change of clothes in my carryon bag just in case my checked luggage does not arrive and I take an cheap nightlight to plug-in in the hotel room.....helps me get oriented if I wake up in the middle of the night.

A good book for the plane is always a plus.

Have a great trip!!
I see, I'll be sure to do that. I really hope and pray to God nothing gets lost or mixed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommark View Post
Seattle is about the friendliest city on the planet. Don't do anything stupid after dark, be sure to ask at the hotel about areas to avoid. Do see the aquarium, Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, take the underground tour. Don't pay to get to the top of the Space Needle - it isn't worth a fraction of what they charge. The city is very pedestrian friendly and has a decent bus service. Asking strangers questions is a Seattle trademark and you'll get plenty of conversation out of it.

What you will find is many, many restaurants. Be adventurous, try something new.

Also, PM fishbeadtwo about getting together for a herf or two with the Smokey Joe's crowd. Hard to find a better group anywhere.

I lived there for 5 years and still visit frequently (I'm 3 hours away in Portland). Depending on the timing, I may be able to come up for a herf.
Oh man I hope so, if there's one pet peeve that sticks out, it's inconsiderate people, but that's probably due to the fact that there are so much people that are considerate here that when you find one or a few that aren't, then it ruins a piece of your day.
Aquaruim - check
Pike Place Market - check
Pioneer Square - check
Underground tour - and check

Ah the question still stands, I've been debating on whether to bring a few sticks or not. I higly doubt there's a designated smoking area in the hotel(balcony or something).
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
Cigary

always have a cell phone with you when travelling and don't use those pesky travel bags that fit around your waist. Nothing says tourist quite like having one of those and that is the first thing that attracts pick pockets. Enjoy your trip!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #8
Mark C
Feeling at Home

Trading: (4)
Mark C is on a distinguished road

Make sure you know the airline rules. No carry-on liquids (toothpaste, shampoo, etc. can be carried on if less than 3 oz), no lighters, nothing sharp and pointy, and don't use the word 'bomb' on the airplane. Before you get to security, empty your pockets into your carry-on bag, and if you're bringing a laptop, make sure it's accessible since you'll have to take it out of your bag. I imagine that's a fairly long flight, don't forget your iPod/headphones, and bring some snacks. Check the weather in your destination before you leave, and pack appropriately, bring a jacket or something in your carryon so you don't have to dig through your checked bags when you get to Seattle.
Mark C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I travelled through South America alone including places like Medellin Colombia and found that if you don't dress flashy and become intoxicated in public or generally act like a jerk, you have a good chance of surviving and even making some friends on the way.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I visited Seattle for the first time last year with my wife. We had a great time. The chowder at Ivar's is killer!!!

The only negative that happened to us was we were on the south end of town in the Oriental part for dinner. After we were done eating we were walking back to our car, which was quite a way, and a tough looking guy told us be had better get out of that part of town before dark. I carry a gun normally, but didn't have it with me as we were traveling to Canada as well. Made me wish I had it with me.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
Magma
AKA Even Steven

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning9191 View Post
I've done some travel alone in the US and in foreign lands. Don't look like a tourist. Walk like you know where you are going and don't be afraid to get a little lost. These little adventures can get you places that most people don't see. Don't be afraid to talk to people. I've talked to many interesting folks just by chatting them up. Ask them what they would recommend you see while there. Learn what you can before you get there. Have fun and safe travels!
I hope dressing super warm wont make me look like a tourist! I'll probably be the coldest SOB there! the coldest I've felt is 65degrees, and that was SOO long ago heh.
I'm usually a shy person at first, looks like this will be the perfect time to cut that out of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
Make sure you know the airline rules. No carry-on liquids (toothpaste, shampoo, etc. can be carried on if less than 3 oz), no lighters, nothing sharp and pointy, and don't use the word 'bomb' on the airplane. Before you get to security, empty your pockets into your carry-on bag, and if you're bringing a laptop, make sure it's accessible since you'll have to take it out of your bag. I imagine that's a fairly long flight, don't forget your iPod/headphones, and bring some snacks. Check the weather in your destination before you leave, and pack appropriately, bring a jacket or something in your carryon so you don't have to dig through your checked bags when you get to Seattle.
Ah yes, I was hoping someone would post soemting like this. Good call on the bottles, I was actually planning on bringing a nearly full bottle of shampoo!
Will I have to turn my laptop on? I'm bringing 2, one is mine, one for my cousin from his mom who's down here.
Ipod with earphones - check
It's kinda cold here now so I'll be bringing my jacket along. Forcast looks like some rain in the middle of the week, I hope it's wrong though. Cold = not too bad, Really Cold = still not too bad, Any amount of cold + rain = shitty deals. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
I travelled through South America alone including places like Medellin Colombia and found that if you don't dress flashy and become intoxicated in public or generally act like a jerk, you have a good chance of surviving and even making some friends on the way.
haha I actually opted to bring the less loud jackets with me, so good tip on that one, I don't want to stand out too much. I'm a nice guy so acting like a jerk shouldn't be a problem heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I visited Seattle for the first time last year with my wife. We had a great time. The chowder at Ivar's is killer!!!

The only negative that happened to us was we were on the south end of town in the Oriental part for dinner. After we were done eating we were walking back to our car, which was quite a way, and a tough looking guy told us be had better get out of that part of town before dark. I carry a gun normally, but didn't have it with me as we were traveling to Canada as well. Made me wish I had it with me.
I've been hearing the chowders and soups here are a lot better than most other places, should be good for me since I'll be freezing my ass off.
Sucks about that incounter, I'm glad you guys made it out of there safely. What really sucks is that people have to warn you about places, we can't we just be free to rome around and not have to worry about our safety and well being.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #12
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

I usually try to bring things that make me feel like I'm at home (like slippers or comfortable sweat pants, family picture, etc); a good magazine (Road & Track); a few cigars (probably didn't need to mention that). I also recommend packing a good travel alarm clock and a small flashlight (comes in handy when you get up at night in a dark unfamiliar room). Other than that, don't tap your feet in the bathroom stalls and keep your wallet in a front pocket. Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #13
skyhigh340

always ask the hotel staff what areas to stay away from. They are also a good source of what restaurants are good and bad.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #14
Magma
AKA Even Steven

RA

Looks like a bunch of good tips here, I'd appreciate any peice of info if there's more. Thanks for the tips and advice everyone, I really really really really appreciate them. I hope you guys have a good week
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
Magma
AKA Even Steven

RA

Cool. I don't suppose I could bring my xikar cutter with me? I'd pack it in my luggage and not in my carry on. Any info on that one?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
Sailchaser
Black Ops-SOB

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
HUpmann CoastGuard
Sailchaser has disabled reputation

4 things I never travel with out a few smokes in the travel bag, my Garmin GPS,cell phone and charger and a extra set of clothes
Enjoy the trip,go on line and get familiar with the city, taxi companies,hotels etc it will make you feel like you in your home town
Safe Travels
Old 11-29-2008, 09:56 PM   #17
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Cigar cutters can be checked, and I'm pretty sure carried on. No jet type lighters, so just pick up a cheap lighter somewhere.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 03:17 PM   #18
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

The things I notice when traveling to the mainland - you dont need to smile at everyone you pass or say hello to strangers (they think you are wierd or something), look before crossing the street, cars don't stop and wait patiently like they do here.

Also, I always look for a cigar shop, as most places on the mainland have lower taxes and no import cost, so prices are better. Last time I was in VA, I picked up a ton of smokes that I can't find here or are 3x the price here. Also, sitting in a cigar shop lounge allows for meeting new people and intresting conversation.

Have a great trip, I love going to the mainland and stretching out a little bit. Plus, the cold makes you really happy you live here.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
SonsofClubDeck

there is no such thing as a "donkey show."
Old 11-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #20
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonsofClubDeck View Post
there is no such thing as a "donkey show."