Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
JohnRogers
I Still Ash On My Self

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
AirForce (Active)
JohnRogers is on a distinguished road
Default Opening a Cigar Lounge: Ventilation

Update: I got the keys yesterday and walked through the space again with the landlord. East Village Lounge: Cigar, Jazz and Blues is getting real.

So next topic, what ventilation systems work or don't work at the B&M lounge you frequent? I have some thoughts on the subject obviously but would like to hear from you.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opening a Cigar Lounge: Ventilation

The best, and probably the lowest equipment cost, is simply venting the smoke out and bringing fresh air in, possibly warming or cooling it as necessary. Of course local weather and climate can play a factor in whether or not is is feasible. Being in California, this is all most lounges here do so I can't comment much on the effectiveness of the different modern air cleaner systems and how much maintenance they need.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The local cigar lounge (The Mark) uses a combination of Smoke Eaters (2) (http://www.breathepureair.com/uas_se50.html) and Rabbit Air Minus A2 (4) (http://www.rabbitair.com/pages/minusa2-air-purifier). The HVAC in the lounge is not very good so there is little outside air exchange short of opening windows.

The air is OK but would be better with outside air exchange. Oregon has a limit of 42 people in a lounge. When the lounge is half full or more the system suffers.

Having said all that, it would be much, much worse without the SmokeEaters and Rabbit Air systems.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Our shop has industrial fans they use to suck out the air. They only turn them on when it gets extra thick, as they are quite loud.

They also have 5 or 6 smoke eaters evenly spaced along the ceiling. I don't know what the size of the shop is, but I want to guess it's about 1200 sq feet. between the bar and the lounge chairs there's about seating for about 40 I'd guess. Sometimes on weekends the whole place fills up and you have a lot of people standing. Their ventilation is really pretty good and I have to say I really appreciate that.
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Check out this basement cigar lounge with heated fresh air vents.

http://www.ryandeyer.com/cigar-room/

Ryan is the brother of an inmate who used to live near me. Obviously for a commercial design you'd want to alter plans a bit to scale up but the idea is sound. The concept is to have exhaust vents in the ceiling and walls (near the floor). Ceiling ducts lead to an exhaust fan blowing smoke outside. Wall/Floor ducts lead from outside but have a heating coil inside that are auto engaged based on how cold the air is. You can completely exchange all the air in the room very quickly with this method and not have to worry about it being too cold.

Last edited by 357; 10-09-2014 at 11:06 AM.
357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Shadow
Who knows what evil lurks

VR
Shadow is on a distinguished road

Our local shop and cigar club use the VisionAir 1 and 2 The 1 is a ceiling mounted unit. The 2 is on rollers so you can move it around.

http://www.breathepureair.com/commer...ke-eaters.html
Old 10-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

No experience here but a few ideas from other experience.

For the vent fans. If possible, have the actual fan near the outside of the building, pulling air thorough the ducts. This takes a much bigger fan, but works better and it really cuts down on the noise. This is how restaurant vent fans work so well.

Another thing, some lounges I've been too seem to be focusing on getting rid of the smoke smell with oder eater type machines that simply recycle the air and treat it as it goes through.
It always seems better when the ventilation is simply set up to get rid of the smoke, pump it out, and bring in fresh air instead.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been impressed with big smoke-eaters, but most will say they're a must.
A make-up air unit that delivers lots of fresh air and a strong positive air pressure would be my choice.
I'm sure that by now there are air-quality sensors that can throttle the amount of fresh air to save energy. I used to build manual control systems that throttled the make-up air because there weren't any kinds of sensors, but that was lots of years ago.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
MagicDrop
Still Watching My Back

MagicDrop is on a distinguished road

I do controls for HVAC and as I don't know what kind of systems are build for "cigar lounges" couldn't you just go with a ductless AC for temp possible 2 depending on layout and size, and go with a negative pressure system or a small "purge" system that would suck air in to one side of the space and empty it out the other side always moving air from the front counter area to the ceiling about the back door/wall? This would also allow people to shop without smoke in thier face!
MagicDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #10
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Consider having a negative pressure in the lounge if you share any space with others, since that will keep the cigar smoke from spilling out the doors/windows. Speaking from experience when I say that even a neutral pressure system can be smelled from 40 -50 feet away.