Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Resipsa

Default The Espresso Ledge

Talk me back from the edge.

First off, I love my current setup. I've got a Macap 4 stepless grinder paired with a Quickmill Anita machine. I lack for nothing but better barista skills, though I'm pretty good. You got the tools, you got the talent.

Still. The call of some of the newer grinders at Chris Coffee is strong.

Bigger, badder burrs....but better? You tell me. Since the ones I'm looking at are some serious coin (north of 1k) It's not a decision I'm taking lightly.

Just wonder if the uptick in taste will justify the uptick in cost

Moo, I'm sure you can help
Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Espresso Ledge

That's quite a setup. Outside of showing off, what else could you want that your set does not do already?
Old 09-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
That's quite a setup. Outside of showing off, what else could you want that your set does not do already?
The honest answer is nothing. But upgraditis is a strong mistress

Not entirely true. I like the idea of one of the electronic grinders where dosing is programable and repeatable
Old 09-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

First Name: Rob
Trading: (1)
Partagas
germantown rob is on a distinguished road

LMAO! A few things to consider and really check out is how much grind retention different commercial grinders have. I have seen people mention the Mahlkonig K30 Vario needs 10-15g purge to clear stale grounds from the chute and it can be more for some of the other big grinders. That being said I love the Baratza Vario and it's timer, once dialed in for weight I can just hit start and get the exact dose I want for a particular bean or blend and what goes in comes out with very little grind retention. I am waiting for the Mahlkonig prom espresso to come out and see what people think, the all purpose prom does not entice me with what many have said about it and at it's price it is a hop skip and jump to the k30.

So what grinder are you lusting after?

Here is the espresso machine I am looking to get soon http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/...presso/juniord
germantown rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
LMAO! A few things to consider and really check out is how much grind retention different commercial grinders have. I have seen people mention the Mahlkonig K30 Vario needs 10-15g purge to clear stale grounds from the chute and it can be more for some of the other big grinders. That being said I love the Baratza Vario and it's timer, once dialed in for weight I can just hit start and get the exact dose I want for a particular bean or blend and what goes in comes out with very little grind retention. I am waiting for the Mahlkonig prom espresso to come out and see what people think, the all purpose prom does not entice me with what many have said about it and at it's price it is a hop skip and jump to the k30.

So what grinder are you lusting after?
Here is the espresso machine I am looking to get soon http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/...presso/juniord
Chris coffee is right down the road from me, so I'm there frequently to pick up beans, etc.

You must be reading my mind, it's the K30 I want, LOL. they currently have a return for a couple hundred off, and I'm sure I can get it even cheaper.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Resipsa

Edit. It's the new k8 fresh I'm thinking of, not the k30
Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Edit. It's the new k8 fresh I'm thinking of, not the k30
A very nice grinder indeed! Have you done your homework of flat vs conical burrs?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Vic, I have not seen many posts about the k8 fresh but here is one from a CGer that just got one, I am sure he will add much more. http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/esp...rinders/544720
Old 09-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantown rob View Post
Vic, I have not seen many posts about the k8 fresh but here is one from a CGer that just got one, I am sure he will add much more. http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/esp...rinders/544720
Interesting read Rob thanks. If I could afford the bigger conical
Old 09-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Moo, I'm sure you can help
And you are, who...?

Quote:
Talk me back from the edge.
Hey! Everybody! Over here! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!

Useless as a high gain antenna array on a boar hog, Vikkel. After 10 years and two burr-sets of MazzerMini (manual) perfection I don't pay attention to grinders anymore. Sorry. I have nothing to add except this flawless antique retains <2g in the chute; it gets wiped out with a pastry brush atop the puck-to-be. My double-shot timer system is a now-unconscious slow count "one-ethiopianyirgachgeffe, two-ethiopianyirgacheffe...) to seven and thru 14 if Mrs. Moo is expecting a cappuccino. Absent an informed opinion I encourage you to get the biggest, coolest most feature-laden grinder possible, especially one that has an LED light panel, mag wheels, pneumatic tires and an auto-vaccuum self-cleaning cycle after every grind. Pictures, please.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #11
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
And you are, who...?

Hey! Everybody! Over here! JUMP! JUMP! JUMP!

Useless as a high gain antenna array on a boar hog, Vikkel. After 10 years and two burr-sets of MazzerMini (manual) perfection I don't pay attention to grinders anymore. Sorry. I have nothing to add except this flawless antique retains <2g in the chute; it gets wiped out with a pastry brush atop the puck-to-be. My double-shot timer system is a now-unconscious slow count "one-ethiopianyirgachgeffe, two-ethiopianyirgacheffe...) to seven and thru 14 if Mrs. Moo is expecting a cappuccino. Absent an informed opinion I encourage you to get the biggest, coolest most feature-laden grinder possible, especially one that has an LED light panel, mag wheels, pneumatic tires and an auto-vaccuum self-cleaning cycle after every grind. Pictures, please.
Hmm. Methinks I sense a HINT of facetiousness in Mr. Dan's reply
Old 09-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Hmm. Methinks I sense a HINT of facetiousness in Mr. Dan's reply
No way. We only go around once. Go for the gusto!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
germantown rob
Still not Adjusted

Partagas

Quote:
Interesting read Rob thanks. If I could afford the bigger conical
Put it in the piggy bank and next spring a whole new set of grinders will come out, maybe, lol. Baratza really might have opened the door for dosing by weight, I don't mean an LSD dose by a persons weight (because it really doesn't matter), so there really could be some new stuff upcoming. I was ready to get the K30 but when the Vario-W came out I started to evaluate my timed grind from the Vario. Once I dial in my weight and get my time correct it is good until I switch beans for the most part, that is unless I want to screw with things and try 14g with a much finer grind instead of 18g with the grind
I am using. I just like the concept of weight and grind adjustment better then grind time and grind adjustment (you have to change both to get where you are going).

When it comes to excellent espresso money should be no part of the equation, heck people spend $5-10 a day at Char-Bucks, what's an extra $400 on the K10 fresh, LOL. Seriously think about that though. Neither the K8 Fresh or the K10 fresh are in the hands of that many home users, if you are going to spend good money you want to know what is best for you and if $400 more would suit you better then that is saved by not spending it on a flat burr when you really wanted a conical burr.

Last little note of hanging out with people that have the big bad grinders, cost vs taste is a small hill with a very steep price. Heck I dream of the Speedster espresso machine but will it give me $8000 better espresso then my Oscar?
http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/news...peedster4.html

The upgrading bug is vicious, just make sure you get to where you want to get
Old 09-20-2011, 05:34 AM   #14
Mister Moo

A Speedster (yes!) and the biggest Pasquini grinder you and a friend can lift. Your future is bright. Apply as counsel to shale frak extractors.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Resipsa

I like it, but the Speedster always reminds me of some weirdo combination of a meat slicer with espresso parts slapped on it......
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #16
w squared

Quote:
I like it, but the Speedster always reminds me of some weirdo combination of a meat slicer with espresso parts slapped on it......
It is a little funky looking, isn't it?

I've got what I would consider to be the "bottom of the barrel" for grinders that will make my tastebuds happy - a Baratza Vario. I've found that even with different beans, when I have the grind dialed for the bean that's in the hopper, I never need to tweak the pre-set grind time more than 0.5 of a second to keep the amount that it spits out in the "sweet spot".

My issue is tamping - I'm happy with my results, but I have a little voice in the back of my head that asks if I am being truly consistent with my "30 pounds" or if I'm allowing that to drift. Maybe the "calibrated tamper" is a smaller ledge that I can jump off of?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #17
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

take a small bathroom scale and see what 30 pounds feels like pressing on the scale with your tamper and you'll pretty soon have it dialed in.

Personally, I like tamping lighter and grinding finer and would put my tamp at much less than 30lbs.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
w squared

I've done the bathroom scale thing...I'm just wondering if I'm staying constant with my 30 pound tamp. I'm also a victim of upgradeitis, and those calibrated tampers are just plain cool.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #19
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by w squared View Post
I've done the bathroom scale thing...I'm just wondering if I'm staying constant with my 30 pound tamp. I'm also a victim of upgradeitis, and those calibrated tampers are just plain cool.
I have the Espro Clicker tamper.

Yes, it's pricey. But, it removes one more variable from the equation, and I like using it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Lonely Raven

I'm sorry, I must have stepped into the wrong thread.

I'm using a well seasoned Mr Coffee from 1984, a "gold" permanent filter, I get pre-ground coffee, and I've got everything dialed in just the way I like it. I've tried better equipment, and I just can't get it to make coffee better then what I have now... but what you guys are talking about cost more then my last motorcycle...