Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough
Default Your first cigar

Let’s hear some stores of the first time you smoked a cigar.

One of my best friends started smoking cigars. It was a Friday night and we were all hanging out throwing the football around. My buddy says "I just got a box of cigars, want to smoke one." I think of how good the cigars stores always smell when I walk by. So I was curious as to how they taste and what they were all about so I figured why not. So he pulls out a brand new box of CAO gold churchills. He shows me the way of cutting, lighting, ect. After that first full draw I was hooked. Have been smoking since and have started to hit the slope hard.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of
Default Re: Your first cigar

My love/addiction began in February 2006. I was at work and my ex did something to severly piss me off and it resulted in me slamming my cell phone down on the coffee table. On the bounce it hit the ceiling it multiple pieces. My partner on the Ambulance advised me I needed to find a stress reliever and fast. We then went down to Smokin' Sam's on Caroline Street in Saratoga Springs and he bought me my first cigar which was a Fonseca. I have been addicted ever since.
MedicCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

If I remember, it was a Cuesta Rey, something in the 6" x 44 catagory. I was sitting in the backyard smoking it while reviewing an investigation file. I really started enjoying the smoke, so much, that it was placing me in the zone. It was early afternoon, and the cigar, soda, and that great afternoon seemed to make so much more sense than working on that file. Needless to say, I closed my file and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon (and the Cuesta Rey)
Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

My first Cigar was on the golf course about 10 years ago. I was golfing with a good friend and his uncle. Uncle D brought some AVO Maduros (I think they were AVO Maduros)and we all smoked one as we played the round.

I smoked a cigar here and there for the next few years, and then about three years ago I stoped by the local shop and picked up a Padron 2000 maduro and I have never looked back. I started out slow, and then I found the old board and went head first down the slope.

I think this is the best hobby I have ever started. I have met so many good friends and had more great times with a diverse crowd than I ever thought was possible. When I told my wife I was going to a herf she almost fainted, because I am the last person who wants to gather with crowds, but there is just something about cigars that draws people together.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

my first cigar was probably a black and mild or a backwoods or something along those lines. my first premium cigar was a cumbres de puriscal

my grandpa had purchased it as a gift for a friend. but the friend passed before he got it to him. so he gave it to me. So gramps, this is all your fault
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

March 1967. Hard to remember the brand but a machine made packed in a sundries box and dumped out of a chopper on re-supply while on an extened vacation with the 101st in Vietnam.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
Dan
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
Dan is on a distinguished road

Friend was graduating and bought a few Gisperts for us to try. First time for both of us, it was awesome. That's all I got.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
Chompers

It was on my 19th bday and my friends 18th bday. I told him we should smoke a cigar and we drove to the nearest smoke shop and told the old leathery woman that we wanted the biggest/fastest cigar she had. It was a decent size and we went back to his house and smoked some of it(smoked it extremely fast because we were going to meet up with some friends) and while we were driving to meet up with them I tossed it because it tasted like ****.

But when I tried it again(one year later) I was hooked.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
SmoknTaz
Hiding my Visa bill

First Name: Ken
Trading: (6)
Partagas
SmoknTaz is on a distinguished road

I was 16 and had a big fight with my mom so I "Moved out." I checked myself into a motel and was bored that night so I picked up a pack of White Owls. Smoked one and got so sick (of course I inhaled). Fast forward a couple of dozen years, picked up the habit again but this time with better result.

Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence. (A life sentence!)
SmoknTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
dunng
MassHole

First Name: Greg
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
dunng has disabled reputation

It was 1997 and I had a Royal Jamaican (HUGE sitck / old blend) at my friend's graduation party... I was hooked! As well I had a few Macanudo Portofino's...
Old 02-03-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
SmokeyNL

MC A after a celebration dinner
Old 02-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #12
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Don't actually remember.......it was given to me by a gentleman in a park in CT. I do remember it being reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good, prompting me to try more.
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
Java

Onyx Reserve. Its what got me started.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #14
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

A friend and I used to steal swisher sweets from his dad's truck when he was passed out drunk. We'd smoke them behind the old K-Mart. When I was 18 I walked into a Cigar shop and the owner treated me right. He didn't talk down to me, and actually talked me out of some buying mistakes. That was about 14 years ago and I've been hooked ever since.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Sr Mike
As Is

Trading: (6)
Sr Mike has disabled reputation

I had some crappy arturo fuentes and CAOs, I was about to drop cigars all together until that Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur maduro taught me what cigars are all about.
Sr Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Probably something crappy like a Swisher Sweet or Dutch Masters. The first decent cigar I had was an Onyx Reserve.
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
fatboy05
Just in from the Storm

First Name: G
Trading: (0)
Punch
fatboy05 is on a distinguished road

It was at a wedding and my uncle who smokes was passing out punch rothchild maduros. Ended up smoking 2 and that was it.now I partake daily and have a full 28 vinotemp.
Posted via Mobile Device
fatboy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #18
mi2az

It was Back in High School or Late Junior High, but it was a SwisherSweet. Does that count as a Cigar ?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #19
Boobar
Rubber Room Wall Bouncer

First Name: Bob
Trading: (37)
Boobar is on a distinguished road

For Valentines day 2007 my wife got me my first humidor and a 3-pack of La Flor de Ynclan Churchills. It has been a downhill slide ever since.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #20
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Absolutely no idea.

Edit: Does that make me weird?
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote