Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Robulous78

Default Bar-ware Question

So I am watching the 3rd Season of Boardwalk Empire and I have noticed that those with money seem to keep their Whiskey's in Decanters rather than in the Bottle...

Is this just a status difference or does the Decanter provide any benefit to the libation itself?

Thank you for you time,

Rob
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bar-ware Question

Probably just for aesthetics

Maybe also for privacy of your brand of choice.

Couldn't tell ya for sure. I know with wine it's for filtering... Don't really think whiskey would need to be filtered tho, unless it's fresh from your backyard radiator. lol
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Robulous78

I thought it might have something to do with aeration of the Whiskey, or perhaps the crystal (as I assume that is what they are made) adds something to the flavor...

Thanks Derrick for your input... I hadn't thought of the "privacy of your brand issue" May be a good way to store moonshine without the stigma
Old 12-05-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Derrick got an almost perfect score.

Crystal bottles are for show. Brand privacy could be a motivator but that varies by the individual.

Decanting wine is not for filtering. It is for aeration or oxygenation - hence the term letting a wine breathe. The process allows the wine to open up and display its full character and body. Spirits do not change with decanting/aeration.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
I thought it might have something to do with aeration of the Whiskey, or perhaps the crystal (as I assume that is what they are made) adds something to the flavor...

Thanks Derrick for your input... I hadn't thought of the "privacy of your brand issue" May be a good way to store moonshine without the stigma
Lead, if you use the right decanter.

If you have your whiskey or rum or wine in a barrel or cask, and don't wish to have a bottling step, you need a vessel.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Robulous78

Thanks Peter & Pete... Was just wondering if there was a reason why we don't typically see them anymore...

If you don't mind Peter, can you leave this thread open? I have a home bar and if I have any further questions I'd like to post them here... Thanks...

My next question, anyone know a good place to get cheap bar mats? Like the ones with the little pegs for spills? I know they are often given away as promotion for bars to use but if you try to buy them as an individual they typically run about 25 bucks give or take...

Maybe someone on here owns a bar and has a few they wouldn't mind getting rid of?

Thanks again Gentlemen...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Robulous78

Thanks Pete... I often forget about the Bay... I don't have an account with them and have never done business with them... I know many people do but I guess I am a dinosaur in that regard...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks Pete... I often forget about the Bay... I don't have an account with them and have never done business with them... I know many people do but I guess I am a dinosaur in that regard...
On Ebay, you deal with other people directly, ebay is just an online marketplace that allows purchases to happen.

For another good source tho:

I've ordered lots of stuff from this website before... Check em out.

http://www.barsupplies.com/biggie-mats-p-12924.html
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #10
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

I got a crystal whiskey glass set and decanter I'll pick it up for you during the holidays Rob
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
On Ebay, you deal with other people directly, ebay is just an online marketplace that allows purchases to happen.

For another good source tho:

I've ordered lots of stuff from this website before... Check em out.

http://www.barsupplies.com/biggie-mats-p-12924.html
Awesome looking website... thanks for the reco...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairlogo View Post
I got a crystal whiskey glass set and decanter I'll pick it up for you during the holidays Rob
Oh Wow... Thanks Tyler... !!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Derrick got an almost perfect score.

Crystal bottles are for show. Brand privacy could be a motivator but that varies by the individual.

Decanting wine is not for filtering. It is for aeration or oxygenation - hence the term letting a wine breathe. The process allows the wine to open up and display its full character and body. Spirits do not change with decanting/aeration.
I don't mean to be pedantic, just for my own knowledge, is there a difference between Aeration and oxygenation?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I don't mean to be pedantic, just for my own knowledge, is there a difference between Aeration and oxygenation?
Practically speaking, no.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Was just wondering if there was a reason why we don't typically see them anymore...
Lead leaching is the reason not to store spirits in a crystal decanter.

Wine is decanted to aerate and drunk immediately, not stored.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Practically speaking, no.
Good... so I am not a total ignoramus...
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Lead leaching is the reason not to store spirits in a crystal decanter.

Wine is decanted to aerate and drunk immediately, not stored.
Does all Crystal contain lead?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

The more air space you have in a bottle of bourbon, the faster it will oxidize and go down hill. If you don't buy this fact, take your mostly empty bottle of bourbon, and let it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then try it against a fresh opened bottle of the same bourbon. You will quickly throw the old out. That is the reason it is recommended that when you near the end of a bottle of bourbon, either drink it quickly, or have some friends over to help finish it off quickly.

Because of this reaction, I usually only open and finish one bottle of bourbon at a time. And I don't storing it long-term in anything that allows more air space than necessary (this would include a decanter).
Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
bighairlogo
Feeling at Home

Trading: (34)
RA
bighairlogo will become famous soon enoughbighairlogo will become famous soon enough

no not all crystal contains lead anymore
bighairlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #20
Robulous78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvilleKid View Post
The more air space you have in a bottle of bourbon, the faster it will oxidize and go down hill. If you don't buy this fact, take your mostly empty bottle of bourbon, and let it sit for 4-6 weeks. Then try it against a fresh opened bottle of the same bourbon. You will quickly throw the old out. That is the reason it is recommended that when you near the end of a bottle of bourbon, either drink it quickly, or have some friends over to help finish it off quickly.

Because of this reaction, I usually only open and finish one bottle of bourbon at a time. And I don't storing it long-term in anything that allows more air space than necessary (this would include a decanter).
Thanks for the info Sville, and I am a fan of your Avatars as well...

so would the same go for the air in the bottle? would it then not make sense to put your sprite in whichever vessel that has less air-space?