Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM   #221
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Leaving in about an hour for try number two. This time will take the sleeping pill!
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #222
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Leaving in about an hour for try number two. This time will take the sleeping pill!
Good luck Hugh!! Don't take the red pill.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #223
gui_tarzan

I just ran across this thread and thought I'd add my case too.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea in 2000 and started on a CPAP right away. The difference was pretty amazing. All these years of being tired all the time and not sleeping well from the time I was 17 or so (back in 1980) was all due to apnea. I've been re-titrated three times since and have had to increase pressure slightly each time. I've never considered the surgery since I don't have tonsils anymore and I like my uvula.

I started with a nose mask and that did ok for a long time but with the higher pressure my nostrils tend to close easily so I've been using nasal pillows for a few years now. Much better. But there are different kinds and you have to keep trying them until you find one that works for you.

For you guys that won't use your machine or even won't get in and get tested - you're putting your life at risk by not taking care of this. I had the start of pulmonary hypertension before the CPAP, that was completely gone after the first year. I don't doze off in the car or at work anymore. It makes a HUGE difference in your life and can kill you if not treated!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #224
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui_tarzan View Post
I just ran across this thread and thought I'd add my case too.

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea in 2000 and started on a CPAP right away. The difference was pretty amazing. All these years of being tired all the time and not sleeping well from the time I was 17 or so (back in 1980) was all due to apnea. I've been re-titrated three times since and have had to increase pressure slightly each time. I've never considered the surgery since I don't have tonsils anymore and I like my uvula.

I started with a nose mask and that did ok for a long time but with the higher pressure my nostrils tend to close easily so I've been using nasal pillows for a few years now. Much better. But there are different kinds and you have to keep trying them until you find one that works for you.

For you guys that won't use your machine or even won't get in and get tested - you're putting your life at risk by not taking care of this. I had the start of pulmonary hypertension before the CPAP, that was completely gone after the first year. I don't doze off in the car or at work anymore. It makes a HUGE difference in your life and can kill you if not treated!
Thank you for sharing your story Jim. I'm with you on all counts!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM   #225
hotreds

Bolivar

Well, even though I still didn't sleep well, enough data was collected that I was told I have "moderate" sleep apnea. Next step is to do the CPAP test when I get back from vacation in two weeks. Doc said it was ok to wait- I'm leaving on Sat and they weren't able to schedule me that quickly. He told me not to drink much- apparently drinking has a big affect on apnea.(Since I don't drink- no problemo!)
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #226
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

UPDATE: I've had my CPAP machine since August. I'm pretty much used to it by now. I can sleep all night with it. My wife loves that I no longer sound like someone sawing logs from my snoring. She says the sound at this point is pretty much non-existent. And the machine is much quieter than she thought it would be. I don't know if I necessarily feel better or more rested, but I'm using the machine and it seems to be working well for me.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #227
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough

Was diagnosed about six months ago with moderate apnea. Had trouble adjusting to machine, but now use it for 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. I do have a little more energy now.
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 AM   #228
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
Was diagnosed about six months ago with moderate apnea. Had trouble adjusting to machine, but now use it for 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night. I do have a little more energy now.
You will see more benefit sleeping longer each night. I know I was down to 4 or so hours a night, since it didn't seem to matter how much I slept, I was still tired. Once I started using my CPAP, 6-7 hours is amazing.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:32 AM   #229
Conch Republican
10-78

Trading: (60)
HUpmann
Conch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to beholdConch Republican is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Well, even though I still didn't sleep well, enough data was collected that I was told I have "moderate" sleep apnea. Next step is to do the CPAP test when I get back from vacation in two weeks. Doc said it was ok to wait- I'm leaving on Sat and they weren't able to schedule me that quickly. He told me not to drink much- apparently drinking has a big affect on apnea.(Since I don't drink- no problemo!)
Don't you get thirsty?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #230
hotreds

Bolivar

Well, off to get my machine and fitting! I was told that I could pick up my machine tomorow morning at the sleep study center after they decide the pressures et al overnight. Will let y'all know how it goes/went!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #231
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, off to get my machine and fitting! I was told that I could pick up my machine tomorow morning at the sleep study center after they decide the pressures et al overnight. Will let y'all know how it goes/went!
Good stuff Hugh!! Remember...the first night is the worst. It gets easier after that one.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #232
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

I was checking the data in my APAP yesterday and realized I have been using the APAP machine for exactly 1 year to the day!! I currently have a 100% 365/365 usage rate, and an AHI of 3.4 (HI of 3.0 and AI of 0.4). I've been averaging a pressure of 10.4.

IMHO... an AHI of 3.4 is pretty good considering I started off with a 97!!!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #233
hotreds

Bolivar

Fit me with two masks- the nose cover and the nose pillows/stoppers. Thought I would like the nose mask at first, but after about 25 minutes it started to bother me. Slept with the pillows/stoppers, no problemo. Only thing that ticks me off is I was told I would get my machine today at the site, but that didn't happen. Tech said she didn't have a machine to give me. Makes me wonder why the hell they called me to pre-register specifically so I could pick up my machine at the sleep over site. ARGH!

So, now I'll hafta wait. Bottom line, the pillows really didn't bother me, so hopefully this won't be too traumatic a change!
Old 10-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #234
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

That's great that you are comfortable with the pillows already. It should really help your transition into this. Just be mindful of whether you breathe through your mouth at night. If you do, I'm told you lose the effect of the cpap treatment. Some people actually wear chin straps to keep their mouths closed to avoid it. I actually wear a full mask for this purpose. I don't think I mouth breathe when I sleep, but I'm too neurotic to take the chance. Good luck getting set up!
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #235
hotreds

Bolivar

Day 2 using the device. I have a Res Med pillow system. Didn't sleep as well yesterday as my first night. I guess it takes some getting used to. Seems I keep getting water in the pillows, even tho I have dialed down the humidity meter quite low. Maybe I just expirate lotsa humid air?

Hey y'all- do I really need to change the distilled water daily?( Could get a bit expensive!) Do I really need to use distilled water? I imagine when I travel getting distilled water might not be so easy. Do you all clean the device as often as they say- daily/weekly? Do you replace the stuff every three months? I know that the seller needs a lot of CYA, wondering if you really need to be as careful/strict as they say?

TIA!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #236
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Day 2 using the device. I have a Res Med pillow system. Didn't sleep as well yesterday as my first night. I guess it takes some getting used to. Seems I keep getting water in the pillows, even tho I have dialed down the humidity meter quite low. Maybe I just expirate lotsa humid air?

Hey y'all- do I really need to change the distilled water daily?( Could get a bit expensive!) Do I really need to use distilled water? I imagine when I travel getting distilled water might not be so easy. Do you all clean the device as often as they say- daily/weekly? Do you replace the stuff every three months? I know that the seller needs a lot of CYA, wondering if you really need to be as careful/strict as they say?

TIA!
Yes! If you don't, bacteria grows in the tank really quickly and it gets bad for your health. When I first started out using it, I used tap water a couple times when I ran out of distilled water. Stuff started growing in the tank like crazy. I kept running a q-tip over it and pink stuff kept coming out. You can get distilled water for less than a dollar a gallon where I live. I get 2 weeks or so out of one gallon. It is way worth it. When I run out, I don't use any water in it anymore - a couple nights without the humidifier going hasn't hurt me yet.

As far as cleaning the equipment, I can be a little lax there. I dump the water in the humidifier every morning and open it up so that it air dries during the day. Considering I use only distilled water and allow it to completely dry, I haven't had any problems with it. I tend to get new equipment every 6 months because that is how frequently my insurance pays for a new mask. I figure I might as well get it. I'd do it every three if I could remember, but wouldn't worry about it if you don't.

Just my , but definitely use distilled water only.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 AM   #237
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

Bolivar Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Yes! If you don't, bacteria grows in the tank really quickly and it gets bad for your health. When I first started out using it, I used tap water a couple times when I ran out of distilled water. Stuff started growing in the tank like crazy. I kept running a q-tip over it and pink stuff kept coming out. You can get distilled water for less than a dollar a gallon where I live. I get 2 weeks or so out of one gallon. It is way worth it. When I run out, I don't use any water in it anymore - a couple nights without the humidifier going hasn't hurt me yet.

As far as cleaning the equipment, I can be a little lax there. I dump the water in the humidifier every morning and open it up so that it air dries during the day. Considering I use only distilled water and allow it to completely dry, I haven't had any problems with it. I tend to get new equipment every 6 months because that is how frequently my insurance pays for a new mask. I figure I might as well get it. I'd do it every three if I could remember, but wouldn't worry about it if you don't.

Just my , but definitely use distilled water only.

Distilled water only Hugh!! I use soap and water and clean mine every few weeks...let it air dry. My insurance sends me a new mask, hose and filter every three months...I usually only change it every 5-6 though.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #238
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

I get new hose/mask/filters every three months, when the DME supplier calls me to ask if I need it. I use only distilled water, but I don't dump the existing water every night - bit of a waste IMO. I clean the mask and tank about once a week. I will use tap water when I am traveling, but it tends to build up mineral deposits on the sides and bottom of the tank pretty quickly, so I always use distilled at home - I keep it around anyway for Cigar Oasis refills.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #239
hotreds

Bolivar

Thanks, guys. Distilled water it is!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #240
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Just got back from seeing an ENT about a sinus issue and he wants me to do sleep study. He looked down my throat and started asking questions about snoring and if I stopped breathing while I sleep. The answer is yes to the snoring, but I don't know about the breathing part. I did tell him that I wake frequently and have not slept consistently well for years, although I have often mentioned this fact to my primary doctor(s) over the years, but they never addressed the issue. I'm now waiting for the sleep center to call so I can setup an appointment to get this checked out. I don't normally sleep well when I'm in a new place, so I'm not sure how well this will work.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote