Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #161
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sleep Apnea Support/Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Well I should have put this update in a long time ago, but time has slipped by. My wife picked up her CPAP machine on Wednesday last week. It is an adjustment for her getting used to having it, but she seems to be sleeping better. She also noticed that she has more energy now as well.

I first thought when she was prescribed the CPAP that I would need to start sleeping with earplugs again, but you can barely notice it running.

She spoke with one of our son’s therapist, and her husband is now scheduled for a sleep study as well.

One last thing. She is now wearing a mask that covers her nose, but it is uncomfortable is there a better option?

Check out the link I posted earlier to the mask I use. It doesn't cover the nose - just goes into it and covers the mouth. I find it works great for me.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM   #162
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I wear the full "pilot" mask that covers nose and mouth. I found it more comfortable than the one that just covered up my nose (because I would open my mouth and damn near suffocate form the air rushing in). Does it just cover her nose? Have her try the mouth/nose covered (if she can)...she will be a lot more comfortable.

Way better to be safe than sorry MJ!!!
Yes the one she wears is the one that covers just her nose. I will have her talk to the the company, and try the full face one.

Thanks BigCat I will have her take a look at it.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #163
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

First Name: Christian
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tenor CS will become famous soon enoughTenor CS will become famous soon enough

I had my follow up with the ENT and they told me I would be getting a CPAP machine. I need to call, as I have not heard from the CPAP people yet.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #164
CIGma_Chi

Hi all,

My name's Jeof and ... uhm ... please place me in the camp with the people who think they MIGHT have sleep apnea.

So here are the potential tipoffs for me:

I snore ... loudly ... my wife has to roll me over onto my side to get me to stop.

Sometimes, my breathing "catches" during the night for a few seconds and I usually gasp to restart, followed by more snoring and rolling over onto my side.

Not often, but sometimes I wake up literally gasping for air with the feeling that my chest has just been sat on by an elephant.

That being said, while I am tired during the day, I don't lack for energy. I eat normally and am in decent shape, having been athletic most of my life. (I've run a marathon and lifted weights for a while before we had kids ... still play golf and basketball) I usually don't go to bed until 1:00 or 2:00 am and have to be up at 5:30 or 6:00 for work with the usual ill effects of not getting enough sleep. To compound this though, I have a one year old daughter who isn't the best sleeper

Luckily there is a Sleep Center right in my town and I've begun inquiring about getting looked at ... just need to make sure insurance covers it.

Thanks for the thread!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #165
ahc4353

I'm glad it helped!

Keep us posted please.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #166
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Better safe that sorry Jeof. I had all the same symptoms as you.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #167
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Got my CPAP today. All of the functions of the machine were explained to me. I got the nasal pillows mask. Tonight will be my first night sleeping with it. We'll see how it goes!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:26 PM   #168
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

I have sleep apnea. I cannot sleep on my back at all. I often wake up in the middle of the night with an out of breath feeling and often wake up in the middle of the night feeling like a bomb went off next to my bed. Its gotten about a hundred percent worse in the last six months and the fact that I have no health insurance and little money means no cpap or medical treatment for me.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #169
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor CS View Post
Got my CPAP today. All of the functions of the machine were explained to me. I got the nasal pillows mask. Tonight will be my first night sleeping with it. We'll see how it goes!
Good luck Christian...the first night is the roughest, it's all downhill after that one.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #170
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

An hour later, can't fall asleep. Back spasms. Dunno if one has anything to do with the other, though.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #171
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Dangit, now after 1:30 AM, still can't sleep. This sucks.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #172
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Last night did not go well. Took the mask off after a few hours of fighting it. Might try to get the Quattro full face mask. That's the one I used during my sleep study at the clinic.

It's very hard for me to NOT open my mouth during sleep. I find, when using this nasal pillow mask, that if I open my mouth, the choking sensation is unbearable.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #173
azherfer
Proud Ranger Dad

Trading: (1)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
azherfer is on a distinguished road

Back spasms are chest soreness are some of the initial side affects of the CPAP. Imagine that your basically inflating yourself non-stop throughout the night. They do subside, but in my case, the pressure they initially assigned me was just way too high at 14. It's not an exact science. I self-adjusted down a few until I found a pressure that not only didn't cause the soreness, but also kept my mouth from blowing open while I slept. I used the nose pillows too, and it took a good week or more to get completely comfortable, and then I didn't notice it at all.
azherfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #174
ahc4353

I used to have high pressures and I found it slammed my mouth shut. Now with lower pressures I had to go to a full face mask as the lower pressures would not keep my mouth shut and I didn't want to wear that stupid head band thingy.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #175
azherfer
Proud Ranger Dad

Quote:
It's very hard for me to NOT open my mouth during sleep. I find, when using this nasal pillow mask, that if I open my mouth, the choking sensation is unbearable.
Which machine were you given? Does it have Bi-flex with it? Bi-flex allows you to break pressure by opening your mouth without that overwhelming intake of air that chokes you.

Here's the machine I was given and it was best thing going at the time.

http://bipapplusmseries.respironics.com/
Old 08-07-2009, 10:02 AM   #176
Gargoyle
Got Coffee?

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (7)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gargoyle will become famous soon enough

Do any of you have difficulties snorking? I know I'm missing out on a ton of the overall smoking experience because it is so hard to get the smoke flowing smoothly. I thought it was just me (probably is!), but do you think the changing in the breathing mechanics with the CPAP could affect this?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #177
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Do any of you have difficulties snorking? I know I'm missing out on a ton of the overall smoking experience because it is so hard to get the smoke flowing smoothly. I thought it was just me (probably is!), but do you think the changing in the breathing mechanics with the CPAP could affect this?
If it does I'm luck as I'm not affected by it Patrick.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #178
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
Not caused me any problems at all. If anything, my nose is generally clearer for being blasted with warm, moist air every night, so snorking is quite easy.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #179
Tenor CS
Feeling Better!

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by azherfer View Post
Which machine were you given?
It is made by Respironics. Series M, I believe. It is not a Bipap machine. My pressure is set at 14 as well. My machine has a "ramp" button that I am supposed to use when I first put it on. It drops the pressure to 4, then over the course of 15 minutes, it gradually ramps up to 14.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #180
azherfer
Proud Ranger Dad

Quote:
It is made by Respironics. Series M, I believe. It is not a Bipap machine. My pressure is set at 14 as well. My machine has a "ramp" button that I am supposed to use when I first put it on. It drops the pressure to 4, then over the course of 15 minutes, it gradually ramps up to 14.
14 is pretty high pressure, at least it was for me. I was big guy then, so the pressure of my lungs being fully expanded against my chest wall hurt and I'd be sore all day. I found out how to change the pressure myself and dropped it down to 10 and had no problems after that. Once I had surgery and lost the weight, I had the pressure down to 4 and then just stopped it all together.