Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
gray8188

Default building a coolidor

Well I'm running out of space in my humidor and I'm figuring the cheapest route would be to build a coolidor. I don't want it to be huge. But do I need to tape cigar box panels to the sides to absorb humidity? Or I would like to be able to just put the cigars in cigar boxes and maybe put a shelf on top for any loose singles. Would that be okay? And as far as a humidification device goes can I use maybe one or 2 of these? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessor...chanic-250.php.
Thanks for the help, I'm still a bit of a newb but I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: building a coolidor

Coolers are very simple to set up.

1. Buy coole
2. Air out cooler for a couple days
3. Buy beads (or other humidification device)
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Drez
The Warden

Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Also the humidifier you posted would work but depending on the size of the cooler you will need multiple.

Look into heartfelt beads.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Tyler

Taping cigar box panels to the sides is not necessary but some do it. I just have the cigar boxes in the cooler and then a small plastic tub on top of those that I keep singles in.

For humidification I go with Heartfelt Industries beads. I use a 1/2 pound of 65% beads in my 48QT cooler. The cooler is a 48QT Coleman that I picked up for $16 from the local Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Half pound of beads is at the bottom of the page. $18 plus shipping. You might want to get a small mesh bag to put the beads in. You just spray the beads till they are around 60% clear and then put them in and you are done. This way the whole setup is around $40. You can also get a hygrometer if you wish.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...Humidity+Beads

They have a tool that tells you how many beads you will need for your space.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Good luck bro and be sure to show us pictures!

Also, like Frank said, be sure to let the cooler air out for a few days. I also used baking soda and poured it in the inside and then washed it out with distilled water to get the smell out.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
gray8188

When taping the panels do you cover the whole thing or just put a few here or there?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
gray8188

AAnd yea I'm aware of the beads I was thinking thats what I would have to get. But if I have say a 28qt cooler would 2 of those cigar mechanics work? There just very convenient.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
Jbailey
Brewcifer

First Name: Dave
Trading: (17)
Jbailey has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray8188 View Post
When taping the panels do you cover the whole thing or just put a few here or there?
I wouldn't worry about taping panels in there. Just storing boxes in there will do the trick.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #8
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Ive never taped. That would be users preference I am sure. In my opinion no real need to put scaps in your cooler. Leave more room for boxes. No experience with the humidifier you posted but like others have said beads make it simple. Dont forget a good digital hygrometer.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Tyler

Quote:
AAnd yea I'm aware of the beads I was thinking thats what I would have to get. But if I have say a 28qt cooler would 2 of those cigar mechanics work? There just very convenient.
Well in all actuality I believe beads would be easier for you. The other ones work fine I guess but the beads stay at a constant humidity. I believe you would only need like a quarter pound for the 28QT based on the dimensions. Before I didn't use beads and just wrote them off as being the same as the other humidification devices but after switching I now see they are far superior. It is just my opinion but I know some of the other guys would agree that beads are the way to go. They are cheaper than the cigar mechanics too I believe.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Jbailey
Brewcifer

Quote:
With a 28qt cooler you would need roughly 3oz of beads. You can use more which wouldn't hurt just help stabilize.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Taping cigar box panels to the sides is not necessary but some do it. I just have the cigar boxes in the cooler and then a small plastic tub on top of those that I keep singles in.

For humidification I go with Heartfelt Industries beads. I use a 1/2 pound of 65% beads in my 48QT cooler. The cooler is a 48QT Coleman that I picked up for $16 from the local Academy Sports and Outdoors.

Half pound of beads is at the bottom of the page. $18 plus shipping. You might want to get a small mesh bag to put the beads in. You just spray the beads till they are around 60% clear and then put them in and you are done. This way the whole setup is around $40. You can also get a hygrometer if you wish.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...Humidity+Beads

They have a tool that tells you how many beads you will need for your space.

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp

Good luck bro and be sure to show us pictures!

Also, like Frank said, be sure to let the cooler air out for a few days. I also used baking soda and poured it in the inside and then washed it out with distilled water to get the smell out.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 AM   #12
gray8188

Alrite well beads it is i guess. And im trying to get this done as soon as possible thats the only reason i was second guessing the beads is cause i would have to wait for shipping and all that. And the box of cigars i want are on sale and i need to get them soon before they run out. And i have no place to keep them. But are these beads the same thing? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessor...-1/2-pound.php Reason for these is there at my local B&M. Lol sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to make sure i have all things covered before i jump into this.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #13
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Alrite well beads it is i guess. And im trying to get this done as soon as possible thats the only reason i was second guessing the beads is cause i would have to wait for shipping and all that. And the box of cigars i want are on sale and i need to get them soon before they run out. And i have no place to keep them. But are these beads the same thing? http://www.tampahumidor.com/accessor...-1/2-pound.php Reason for these is there at my local B&M. Lol sorry for all the questions guys, just trying to make sure i have all things covered before i jump into this.
If the picture of the product that you posted is correct then they do appear to the Heartfelt Beads. But the product description does not mention the brand...I would just double check.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Jbailey
Brewcifer

The only ones I've used were heartfelt and never had one problem with them. If I needed to get some more beads its what I would buy again.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Tyler

Those appear to be the 70% Heartfelt beads.

I'd go with the 65% beads over the 70% but some people like their cigars better around 70% so it is all personal preference. If you want the 70% just go with what your local B&M has as they do appear to be the exact same. If you want 65% just order online. They are shipped in a padded envelope priority mail and only take a few days. In all honesty the box would be fine in the cooler without beads while the beads are in transit for a few days. Just don't open the box or if you do just put a moist sponge in the coolidor. This is not really good for long term storage but for the 3 days it takes for the beads to get to you it is no problem.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #16
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I see you guys all referenced the Heartfelt beads, are the Heartfelts better than the Shilalas? Just trying to decide which ones to order when I am ready.

Heartfelt Link

Shilala Link

As far as taping panels to the inside of the coolidor, I would think that the tape may have chemicals on it that we wouldn't want in there with the cigars, prolly doesn't matter but I tend to over think this stuff.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM   #17
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I see you guys all referenced the Heartfelt beads, are the Heartfelts better than the Shilalas? Just trying to decide which ones to order when I am ready.

Heartfelt Link

Shilala Link

As far as taping panels to the inside of the coolidor, I would think that the tape may have chemicals on it that we wouldn't want in there with the cigars, prolly doesn't matter but I tend to over think this stuff.
These are also an alternative to those two choices. I ordered a Puck-ifier 100/65% the other day and will post a review once it comes in.

http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx There is a pull down menu that shows the different options.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
These are also an alternative to those two choices. I ordered a Puck-ifier 100/65% the other day and will post a review once it comes in.

http://www.cigarmony.com/puck-ifierpuck-10065-1.aspx There is a pull down menu that shows the different options.
I am blocked from that site at work sorry, dumb censorship in the work place. It's like they think the internet would somehow disrupt my work flow...
Well onto the next thread

I was leaning towards the shilala primarily because they come in their own nice sealed bag.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #19
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I am blocked from that site at work sorry, dumb censorship in the work place. It's like they think the internet would somehow disrupt my work flow...
Well onto the next thread

I was leaning towards the shilala primarily because they come in their own nice sealed bag.
I understand being blocked from everything at work.
I just happen to have special permissions and not to many restrictions
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 AM   #20
Tyler

No, some guys prefer one over the other. The only reason I went heartfelt really is the price. I believe there might be a slight difference between the two. I believe there is also a third company that makes beads? The name escapes me.

For heartfelt you can buy their mesh bag for a few bucks or just use a pair of your wife/girlfriend/whatever's old panty hose.