Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 05-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
augrpeters
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Austin
Trading: (0)
LGC
augrpeters is on a distinguished road
Default How to switch to cigars?

I'm 20 years old and I love to relax with a Cigar. The problem is that I also smoke cigarettes and dip. I have managed to quit dip but I cannot seem to give up cigarettes. Everytime I enjoy a cigar I immediately need a cigarette afterwards. I love LGC #7 but they don't give me my fix. My Girlfriend hates my nasty cigarette habit, she will sit with me when I smoke a Cigar. Are there any tips anyone else successfully used?
augrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: How to switch to cigars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by augrpeters View Post
I'm 20 years old and I love to relax with a Cigar. The problem is that I also smoke cigarettes and dip. I have managed to quit dip but I cannot seem to give up cigarettes. Everytime I enjoy a cigar I immediately need a cigarette afterwards. I love LGC #7 but they don't give me my fix. My Girlfriend hates my nasty cigarette habit, she will sit with me when I smoke a Cigar. Are there any tips anyone else successfully used?
I still smoke both, and pipes as well (not so much lately). I recommend that you put that cigarette smoking experience to good use and snork the hell out of whatever cigars you're smoking, then you'll get the nic hit that will make you not crave a cigarette afterwards.

BTW, maybe you should wander over to the New Inmate Processing Area:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Last edited by Subvet642; 05-04-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Subvet642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

I also smoke both! Cigarettes unfortunately although I do enjoy them some times I have to smoke them, cigars on the other time are pure relaxation and enjoyment!! Two things, where in PA are you from and the other is you should probably do an intro thread!
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

I cant vouch for the change from cigarettes other than to say if you can tolerate it inhale a bit and it will fix the nic craving to reduce the desire for a cigarette. I used to chew tobacco before I started my cigars and had to find a way to curb my desire for chew right afterwards and it had to do with the cravings. Lucky I'm a stubborn old bastige or I might still be chewing and having a cigar at the same time.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Cigars are not really a substitute or alternative to cigarettes. The actual amount of nicotine absorbed is much lower. The only way is to quit cigarettes and enjoy the occasional cigar for enjoyment not for nicotine or as a habit.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Cigars are not really a substitute or alternative to cigarettes. The actual amount of nicotine absorbed is much lower. The only way is to quit cigarettes and enjoy the occasional cigar for enjoyment not for nicotine or as a habit.
This, cigars are pure flavor and enjoyment, dip and cigarettes are nicotine and habit...I quit dip a year and a half ago (after 20 some odd years) so congrats on beating that, now kick the cigs and enjoy the stogies
Old 05-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

How do you quit the cancer sticks? Simple. You quit. I did it, cold turkey, over twenty years ago, and didn't even finish the half-pack I still had on me. If you cannot, you either are not yet ready to do so, or are not yet able to confront and subdue your addiction. If the former, just wait . . . it will happen, or not. If the latter, and if you truly wish to quit, then, no offense intended, man up and do so. No advise can aid you in this, and all responsibility rests upon you alone.

My cigarette habit was built up over a period of time roughly as long as your young life has been, and as I assume you didn't start smoking in the cradle you have a shorter history of addiction than did I when I kicked the curse. That does not mean it should be easier for you, but it does mean your problem is not insurmountable. So i repeat: You want to quit? Then quit.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Stop buying cigarettes and hanging around people who may have cigarettes on them is the first step.

You may want to give up cigars for a while until you are comfortable enough to keep it just at cigars. I know this is heresy on a cigar forum, but just trying to help you out.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

About 18 months ago I got a really bad case of the flu on vacation in FL, was out of it for 10 days, never smoked another cig again, at that point I was a 2 pack a day smoker.

Of course a month later I picked up the cigar hobby so I still get my smoking it and certainly didn't work out in saving me money

Have you tried a vaporizer for your nicotine fix?
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

Sorry can't help I'm 34 and have never once smoked a Ciggy... Best of luck to you
Old 05-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #11
Sweet_Leaf_PDX
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jason
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Sweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enoughSweet_Leaf_PDX will become famous soon enough

Never been a regular cigarette smoker. Like other have said cigars are never going to replace cigarettes for you. I would focus on just quitting cigarettes and then try to enjoy the occasional cigar. It might be difficult because the small amount of nicotine you get from a cigar could really make you crave a cigarette for a while.

Some friends have had success quitting cigarettes using electronic cigarettes as an aid.
Sweet_Leaf_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM   #12
Geauxbig1975
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Jeff
CoastGuard (Served With Honor)
Geauxbig1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
How do you quit the cancer sticks? Simple. You quit. I did it, cold turkey, over twenty years ago, and didn't even finish the half-pack I still had on me. If you cannot, you either are not yet ready to do so, or are not yet able to confront and subdue your addiction. If the former, just wait . . . it will happen, or not. If the latter, and if you truly wish to quit, then, no offense intended, man up and do so. No advise can aid you in this, and all responsibility rests upon you alone.

My cigarette habit was built up over a period of time roughly as long as your young life has been, and as I assume you didn't start smoking in the cradle you have a shorter history of addiction than did I when I kicked the curse. That does not mean it should be easier for you, but it does mean your problem is not insurmountable. So i repeat: You want to quit? Then quit.

Good luck.
Well said! Truly words of wisdom! I smoked cigarettes for nineteen years and one day i just put them down and never smoked another. I grew tired of always being a slave to a nicotine addiction! I now can not even stand the smell of a cigarette and can not for the life of me figure out why i ever decided to start smoking the damn things! Like The Poet said, you have to be ready to quit to successfully do so.
Geauxbig1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I quit cigarettes 13 years ago and it was very difficult for me at the time. I joined an online forum supported I think by the American Heart Association. That did help me a lot to have the daily support. I smoked cigars then too, occassionally, and kept those. The cigars were a crutch for sure, but I don't inhale them and think they are better than 2 packs a day. I recommend getting a support group somehow and try and remember there is a much better life after quitting. I used to think I would never enjoy anything again without cigs, but that was totally false. Called euphoric recall I was told and don't listen to it! Good luck.
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
tam
some guy

First Name: tam
tam is on a distinguished road

I always think about this infographic when I think about quitting smoking.

https://upworthy-production.s3.amazo...efits_male.jpg

Every time you light one up, you start all over again on your "path to recovery."

I did the e-cig thing back when the Joye 510 was the shiznit on the e-cig forums, way before all the fancy vapes the kids have these days. It helps. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you try it. Vaping offers a real "throat hit" similar to smoking cigarettes which makes it easier for some to adapt and then quit. Go with a low nicotine % fluid/cart when you start because most people overdo it when they start out. Nothing worse that a nicotine "overdose."

If you prefer cigarettes over vaping then be objective when it comes to smoking. Are you smoking to get the hit of nicotine/catch-a-buzz/wake up? Are you smoking to get the calming/relaxing effect after a long shift at work? When you achieve the desired effect put your smoke out. In my experience it was always before the halfway point. Some people might make comments about you wasting money for pitching your cigarette early, but you're trading the 25 cents that cigarette cost for your health and well being.

I found that eating better and working out made quitting easier. The healthier you are or try to be, the crappier you'll feel every time you light one up. The more it happens, the easier it is to move on.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by tam; 05-21-2014 at 02:11 AM.
tam is offline   Reply With Quote