Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 05-14-2011, 03:11 AM   #2081
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

A shoulder is a picnic and a butt together. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder and the picnic is going down the leg.

To me they cook the same and taste the same. I cut that skin off just 'cause it is ugly as heck... but there is not that much meat under it so it doesn't really matter either way, and cook it just like a butt.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #2082
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Agree; it's got to be a picnic and I would certainly cut the skin off for the exact reasons you mentioned. The picnic is much more "hammy" and is great itself, but won't be like the other half typically known as shoulder (for pulled pork usually).
YEs...this.

And on a side note, my temperature took a dive last night sometime down to 150*

Sneaking back up on 205 now.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #2083
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Well, it's ON THERE now so no going back. I am cooking up the skin for the doggies to chew on and think
they got some kind of great scraps. They are so grill-spoiled. If I am cooking 5 burgers, they always get one
crumbled up and hand fed. If I cook ribs, 2-3 racks, I will end up feeding them about half a rack. The best is
the rib trimmings from st.louisizing. They feast.

Anyway, I'll know if I like em in about 5 hours. I just know they were cheap, about 5 bucks each.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #2084
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

brad, thats awesome
I bet those dogs love the smell of the grill firing up more than you do!
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2085
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
A shoulder is a picnic and a butt together. The butt is the upper part of the shoulder and the picnic is going down the leg.

To me they cook the same and taste the same. I cut that skin off just 'cause it is ugly as heck... but there is not that much meat under it so it doesn't really matter either way, and cook it just like a butt.
I always defer to Brent, as he is the pro and all around pitmaster.

Here are a couple decent diagram of pork cuts:

Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #2086
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Nice diagrams...I had always seen the beef ones but never went looking for the hog.
I wonder why they call it a "picnic"? Interesting term. Not as interesting is I put three
racks worth of St.Louis-ize trimmings on the smoker with the picnic and pulled it all off
the grill and divvied it up already. Meaning without pics. Dangit. I WILL shoot the roast.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #2087
OLS
Suck It

OK, let there be meat. The picnic has an hour at least to go, don't know, I have no thermometer.
But I do know meat, lol. It comes off when it's ready. We got a picnic and some Rib Trimmins
from three racks o ribs I trimmed up last weekend.

The trimmins were VERY good, even having to go around bones and cartilage, just exccellent flavor and smoke.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #2088
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

THAT looks delishus.

2 Boston Butts went on last night at 11pm (Central) 15 hours later, they are hanging out at 178*. Dome temp of 210.

COME ON DAMMIT.....I am hungry.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #2089
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Going on the smoker right now!!!

Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #2090
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Looks good Brad!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #2091
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

A great looking start Earl!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #2092
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I just lined up a small cook for early June, a couple hundred punds of pork butt, a couple of cases of ribs, and probably a couple of packers. Hopefully it wont heat up to uch by then!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #2093
Fordman4ever

Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I just lined up a small cook for early June, a couple hundred punds of pork butt, a couple of cases of ribs, and probably a couple of packers. Hopefully it wont heat up to uch by then!
Sounds like fun.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #2094
OLS
Suck It

Let it cook on the grill for another 45 minutes, then finished it in foil in the oven while I took a lil nap,
slathered it with Sweet Baby Ray's and broiled it for another few minutes. Pulled it with a couple forks
and promptly froze it, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finishedpicnic.jpg (74.4 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg finishedpicnic2.jpg (68.4 KB, 473 views)

Last edited by OLS; 05-14-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:50 AM   #2095
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

My old cook team partner and I did our first competition in a long while this weekend. It was in the town where I live so there was no excuse for not doing it!!

Finished third in pork, fifth in both chicken and brisket, fifteen in ribs and 6th overall (I think) out of 36 pro teams. I have no idea what happened to the ribs... they were so over done it wasn't funny. If we would have done what we usually do in ribs (usually a strength) we could have easily gotten our first Grand Championship.

Oh... and we won People's Choice for the first time ever. That was pretty cool as we never really pay much attention to that butt. We just season it, cook it, pull it, and pour whatever half empty bottles of sauce are in the trailer over it.

I sure wish I had the time to do more comps... This weekend really made me miss it!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:15 AM   #2096
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

I guess you are just going to have to practice more on your ribs...I'm sure about 300 of your closest friends would volunteer to critique them for you
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #2097
Fordman4ever

I know I would.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #2098
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
We got a picnic and some Rib Trimmins
from three racks o ribs I trimmed up last weekend...
Nice looking picnic and rib trimmins Brad Now, where exactly in TN do you live

Old 05-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #2099
OLS
Suck It

Right where you'd think for being a BBQ guy, lol. I had a good time this weekend. I don't mess with butts much,
not a fan of having a lot of pulled pork in the fridge. I cook for practice and fun and take most of it to work to share.
Otherwise I'd be 400 lbs. So mostly I cook ribs cause that's what I like. But this time I decided to put some of this
thread into practice. I used to only eat butt roast out of the oven, and then only in winter for the free heat and
wonderful aroma. Then I started smoking them, but never getting it all that spectacularly done, pulling it out
early, slicing instead of pulling. Put while I would NEVER foil ribs, it sure did a number on that picnic. Man, talk about an
easy pull and great flavor. Used no liquids in the foil, but it worked out great.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #2100
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

3 racks of spare ribs and 24 ABT's are on the fire. Can't wait to try out these ABT's since this will be a first. .
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote