Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 08-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default Tatuaje Fausto

It is time for probably the most most talked about, cigar-geek anticipated releases of the year...the Fausto from Tatuaje. All the information has been leaked out about these sticks for awhile now, so I won't bore you with all the rumors, truths and legends that have been written about this release over the last year. The description from New Havana Cigars pretty much says it all:

Quote New Havana Cigars: Based on the T110 (Thermonuclear) blend, Fausto is a much anticipated new lineup from Pete Johnson. Fausto features an Ecuador Habano Maduro wrapper and a very strong blend of Nicaraguan filler that includes mostly ligero from Jalapa and Esteli. As strong as the blend is, this full bodied smoke is filled with flavor and will be a daily staple for many who love a bigger smoke.

I asked Pete about this stick at the show and he said, "It is what it is. It's for those guys who loved the T110 power and wanted more of it."

Here's my post-dinner review.

Specifics
Vitola: Robusto Extra
Length: 5 1/2
Ring Gauge: 52
Wrapper: Ecuador Habano Maduro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Price: $8.25 in 5 packs
Smoking Location: New Havana Cigars
Beverage: nothing

Pre-Light
My Fausto was a beautiful looking cigar. After smoking so many cigars with broadleaf wrappers recently (which can be ugly a lot of the time) it was nice to see a silky smooth Habano Maduro. There were some small veins on the wrapper, but not anything that took away from the cigar's appearance. The black and red band had a nice contrast and was a modern version of a classic Cuban style. The pre-lit aroma was peppery, especially at the foot, where it made me sneeze. The cold draw is nice and free and tasted earthy with a slight vegetable garden flavor. You know when you smell a growing tomato plant? It doesn't smell like tomatoes. It has that vegetable garden smell. That was this flavor.

First Third
At first, I didn't get right from the cigar what I thought would come from the Fausto. I remember the T110 being right up in your face from the get-go. This stick started pretty mellow with a lot of graham cracker flavor on the front. The finish was more what I expected with some black pepper flavor, but not as strong as I thought it would be. The stick gave off a medium amount of smoke and the strength was obviously there, but not head strong, more body or gut strong. The ash was solid and the construction top notch, as always with My Father factory-produced cigars.

Second Third
The second third of my Fausto had some transitions in the flavors but they were difficult for me to pick out. There was a lot of flavor for sure, but I was wracking my brain for what the tastes were. I settled on a light milk chocolate mixing with some leathery notes, and still the pepper on the finish. That sounds crazy, and is almost embarrassing to write, but it was the best I could do at this point. What I think was evident in my not being able to decipher the exact flavor profiles was just how balanced the flavors were. Nothing stood out too much and nothing was so weak that it didn't come through on my palate. The strength of the cigar was showing through at this point also, but I must restate: it was more of a body/gut strength than a head spinner.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
The final third of Fausto was pretty similar to the second half, except I would now describe the milk chocolate flavor from before as more of a dry cocoa taste. Again in the final third, the flavor profile was strong, but hard to pick out the individual flavors. The only real obvious flavor was the black pepper on the finish that never really took off, but was always there for a nice treat at the end of each draw. Full strength in the final third, so watch out if you have not had a nice meal before smoking this cigar.

My final thoughts on the tatuaje Fausto? Like I wrote above: The Fausto is not what I was expecting it to be. I was expecting that pepper bomb that I fondly remember from the T110. The flavors of the cigar were strong and the strength was there for sure, but I found it hard to pick out what the predominant flavor was. Overall, I enjoyed the cigar and I would buy it again, but it didn't floor me like some of Pete's other new releases. Strangely, I smoked the Avion recently (the same blend) and found it to be much more to my liking. Guess it's true what they say: size matters, and maybe for me, this blend will be more to my liking in other sizes.

Would I buy it again? Yup, the price is right and it's a great full power cigar that doesn't go to far over the top into the sickly range. I'll try the other sizes in the line before I grab this one again though.

Would I buy a box?
Right now I'd pass on a box, although I think they will really get nice with age. I'm not sure why I think that; just a personal feeling.

for more pictures please visit http://tinyurl.com/3j37bqg

Dan
Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
kickerb

Default Re: Tatuaje Fausto

Thanks for the review.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Thanks for the review Dan.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Thanks Dan, very helpful!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks For The Great Review, Dan! My Fausto's & Avions Should Be Here Today!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Dan. Seems the consensus is that the Avion is a bit better than the Fausto.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
kickerb

This might be a cigar worth getting sick for
Old 08-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the review Dan!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
klipsch

Thanks for the review Dan
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

I agree...not a T110 I was expecting... but a decent smoke nonetheless.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
aaron72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (4)
aaron72 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. Was definitely waiting for someone to write something up about them.
aaron72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
burnem
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (3)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
burnem is on a distinguished road

Nice job, Sir. Hoping someone would do this soon. Couple of guys at my local B&M said they found it harsh at the back of the throat. Do you experience any harshness?
burnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnem View Post
Nice job, Sir. Hoping someone would do this soon. Couple of guys at my local B&M said they found it harsh at the back of the throat. Do you experience any harshness?

no i didn't get any harshness at all. It was a lot more mellow than I expected.

Thanks for reading!

Dan
Old 08-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

I have smoked a few of these in different sizes. They reminded me of all ligero smokes like the Man O War and Cain. Love the Avion, BPL, and LCC from Tat's new lines but the Fausto doesn't offer anything "new" to me. Not a bad cigar but there are a lot of other smokes I would buy before I picked up more of these.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #15
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I find these start with a definitive leathery taste and slowly evolve through a citrus and toasted almond flavors.

Definitely an excellent smoke, and I really dig the price (8.80 here for a robusto) which falls well within my budget for smokes. I don't think they taste anything like the second release T110 (I smoked them side by side to compare), but I can see where they may be a similar blend.

I'd buy a box or two and sit on them for about three years. Bet you they're incredible after that.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #16
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
This might be a cigar worth getting sick for
Kinda what I was thinking. Although, having been stupid in the past, and getting to throw up for my smoking stupidity, I will have to error on the side of PASS on the chance to do that again!!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Dan, I agree with your review completely. I enjoy them, but the flavors are so unrefined, or as id like to think untamed, that they are hard to pinpoint. Ill admit I've only smoked one t110 (or) and one m80, but I had a hard time believing that it is the same strength (felt woozy off t110, not too much in the head off fausto or avion). I am very interested how these taste in as little as 3 months, I see fantastic things in its future

Stearns
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

great job dan
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #19
danreeve
Feeling at Home

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Side note: I smoked another Avion tonight (same blend as fausto) and it rocked.

Dan
Old 08-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #20
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeve View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Side note: I smoked another Avion tonight (same blend as fausto) and it rocked.

Dan
Agreed Dan - it's supposed to be the same blend but it is a completely different experience from the Fausto banded cigars. I wonder if the tobacco has been aged longer. The Avion is a great smoke!

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote