Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 10-10-2023, 09:05 AM   #3541
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Met up with my friends and their boss to sell him (the boss) my bottle of Old Fitz. The restaurant has a very nice selection of bourbons. Had a 1oz pour of the Makers Mark Cellar Reserve. Wow! You get a huge oak hit right off the bat, but it mellows out into a creamy vanilla. I would buy a bottle at retail if I happened across it.

What’s everyone’s thoughts on High West cask strength? A local store had their barrel pick in. No samples, so I’m not about to drop $95 on a bottle.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:13 AM   #3542
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Anyone see the Old Forester 1924 10 year old yet?
I'm guessing we'll see this released next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Grabbed the 3rd of the Hardin's Creek 17 Year trilogy today, Boston.

Nice grab! I've heard that's the most different of the three from the other two, I have samples I've been saving of the first two that I'll open up whenever I get around to trying Boston
Old 10-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #3543
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Met up with my friends and their boss to sell him (the boss) my bottle of Old Fitz. The restaurant has a very nice selection of bourbons. Had a 1oz pour of the Makers Mark Cellar Reserve. Wow! You get a huge oak hit right off the bat, but it mellows out into a creamy vanilla. I would buy a bottle at retail if I happened across it.
I've been dying to try the Makers, I'm kicking myself for passing up a 2oz sample for $40, cheapest I've seen a bottle was $430 but most are closer to $500

Hope you made a couple bucks on that Old Fitz
Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 AM   #3544
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I've been dying to try the Makers, I'm kicking myself for passing up a 2oz sample for $40, cheapest I've seen a bottle was $430 but most are closer to $500

Hope you made a couple bucks on that Old Fitz
I paid $25 for the 1oz. Iirc 2oz was $45-50.

Made out well on the OF. Made money and he got a good deal.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:39 PM   #3545
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

So the guy I sold the OF to told us a story about the time he and his brother drank a bottle of Pappy 23. Does a yearly fly fishing trip to Wyoming every year with his Dad and brother. First couple years at the lodge, he sees an older gent smoking a cigar on a huge porch. Told that’s the owner and likes to keep to himself. A year or two later as they’re having dinner in the main lodge, the owner comes in and asks if he can join them. Eventually they find out he used to own Ameritrade, thus how he afforded the lodge. More small talk about what he does now. Tells them, “I dabble in baseball”. Turns out it’s Joe Ricketts, owner of the Chicago Cubs. At one point he grabs a bottle and tells them he’s not much of a bourbon drinker himself, maybe they might like it. Yup, Pappy 23. Both brothers spent the rest of the night drinking the bottle.
Old 10-10-2023, 07:23 PM   #3546
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Great story!
Old 10-11-2023, 05:54 AM   #3547
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Snagged one of these yesterday, had to see if it was worth the ~$300 price tag. Some friends helped with the cost by splitting it up into a few samples, really liked the first pour but feel like it needs a couple more sittings and a little oxygen before it will really show itself, felt restrained on the palate and finish

Old 10-11-2023, 08:25 AM   #3548
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Bob, that's crazy. The story, AND 2 guys killing a whole bottle of 23 in 1 night.

Ben, how to you think the Single Rickhouse compares to the RR 13 Year?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 10:02 AM   #3549
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Ben, how to you think the Single Rickhouse compares to the RR 13 Year?
I haven't tried RR13 since the first batch came out and I promptly killed the bottle, but based on memory they're in the same ballpark. I thought RR13 was a little heavy on the oak, RRSR CNF had some but it was more of a caramel fruit type profile with an oak backbone. The first pour of the SR was lacking a little on the finish but I think it will open up and show some more tannins on the finish to balance it all out
Old 10-12-2023, 08:14 AM   #3550
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Nice that is compares favorably with the RR13, Ben. I've only had Batch 2 of the 13, but promptly finished it AND found another.

Opened up the Knob Creek Bung Bangers last night. It's the oldest KC sib I've seen since they stopped doing 14-15 year sibs. This one is just short of 11 years, and on first pour I'd put it up against the older ones I have.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #3551
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Stopped by my local B&M. They had gotten their Russel’s Private Barrel pick in. Sampled it. Guess who came home with a bottle? ~8.5 years. Delicious.

Owner also said he’s doing another EC pick. Either 8 or 9 year old. And then he’s got a Woodford Double Oak pick coming.

Last edited by Chainsaw13; 10-12-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Chainsaw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 07:46 AM   #3552
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Some of those Russell's picks are amazing.... I'm glad you got a good one, Bob!

Old 10-13-2023, 08:13 AM   #3553
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I grabbed another bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof. I was surprised to see it on the shelf on my local AFB.
Old 10-13-2023, 01:27 PM   #3554
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
I grabbed another bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof. I was surprised to see it on the shelf on my local AFB.
Which one, James?
Old 10-13-2023, 02:12 PM   #3555
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsaw13 View Post
which one, james?
c923
Old 10-13-2023, 06:30 PM   #3556
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
c923
Old 10-13-2023, 06:42 PM   #3557
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Yeah, I really enjoyed the one I had earlier this year.
Old 10-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #3558
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Yeah, I really enjoyed the one I had earlier this year.
Yea, they’ve been really good this year.
Old 10-14-2023, 08:54 AM   #3559
big a
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (42)
RyJ
big a will become famous soon enough

Some buddies and I had a blind tasting of some big bottles last night. Results below

EHT BP batch 11> 2017 GTS> Parker’s 8yr rye> 9year willett hazmat

(I tried to upload a picture for 10 minutes and still can get it )
Old 10-14-2023, 09:06 AM   #3560
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Crazy that the EHTBP beat out the GTS, Andrew. And that the Hazmat Willet was last.

I got a call from Binny's yesterday; they were holding a bottle for me. Third call in a month, looks like I finally "got a guy".

Weller Full Proof single barrel pick. QT said let's open it now, so we cracked it and promptly made it "our bottle". It is outstanding, fruit and molasses and goodness.