Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about
Default Peltier Unit

Guys,

How hard would it be to add a peltier cooling unit to my cabinet? I would like to drop temp by like 10 degrees.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
badbriar

Default Re: Peltier Unit

Check out youtube - there is a great one with someone replacing the peltier unit - only took like 6 or 7 minutes. Good luck!

RR
Old 08-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Check out youtube - there is a great one with someone replacing the peltier unit - only took like 6 or 7 minutes. Good luck!

RR
What's wrong with you Rob...link me brother. .
Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
mk05
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
mk05 will become famous soon enough

Your cabinet came with a peltier? So the back has an element that drips the condensation down?
mk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
What's wrong with you Rob...link me brother. .
Doh!
See if this works... Instructions are for Haier, but should be good for most any unit!

Go get'em!

► 7:41► 7:41
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBhVS7GhCOM
Sep 3, 2010 - Uploaded by keninorlando9
Buy the cooler and heat compound here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item ...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #6
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk05 View Post
Your cabinet came with a peltier? So the back has an element that drips the condensation down?
It didn't come with one, but I'm exploring the possibility of adding one. It doesn't seem that hard as it looks; and I might be completely wrong here; that you just cut out a the cabinet to accommodate for the unit and plug it after ensuring is all sealed.

I guess my questions and what i'm trying to research is,
- Will humidity escape due to gaps within the peltier unit itself
- How much humidity will it create and how do I handle this; perhaps a drain tube?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Your cabinet isn't insulated. Drop it 10 degrees inside and the whole thing will sweat into a pile of sawdust. Even trying to insulate a cabinet that isn't designed for cooling is pretty much impossible.
The best way to cool it down 10 degrees is to put it in the basement or put it in a small room with an air conditioner. That'll create it's own set of problems, but I'm gonna assume it's a nice, tight cabinet that will handle the very low humidity of an air conditioned room.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Adding a cooling unit is impractical in an uninsulated cabinet. You cant just slap on a Peltier cooler and expect results. You would need to add several units depending on the size of your cabinet. Also, you would need heat sinks, temp controllers and probably some other hardware. You may want to talk to Bob Staebell at Aristocrat Humidors for some advice.

Also, Peltier units cool based upon ambient temperatures. They only cool from 5-7 degrees below ambient in the best case.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
montecristo#2
Don't Taze me Bro!

Trading: (49)
Cohiba
montecristo#2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Also, Peltier units cool based upon ambient temperatures. They only cool from 5-7 degrees below ambient in the best case.
Is this true? Just wondering as my temp controlled Aristocrat has cooled more than 10+ degrees below my room temp on hot days. So on a day where it is 76-78F in the house, it is stable at 65-66F.
montecristo#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
Is this true? Just wondering as my temp controlled Aristocrat has cooled more than 10+ degrees below my room temp on hot days. So on a day where it is 76-78F in the house, it is stable at 65-66F.
Yes, it's true. Depends on the unit and how it's used. Best case scenario is what you described. 10-12 degrees for a thermoelectric are design parameters. Usually they do about what Bob described. Ask them to give you 15 degrees and they run themselves to death and dump water all over the floor.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I am pretty sure that Bob also over sizes his units for maximum efficiency.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by montecristo#2 View Post
It probably depends on the particular device. I had one hooked up once under a piece of glass. It created frost on the top surface. As mentioned, the cold surface will attract a lot of moisture that needs to be removed. Try this website: http://www.peltier-info.com/
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM   #13
badbriar

Edwin...
You could try this- get a wine cooler from Craigs List that is not cooling. Those go cheap! Buy a replacement peltier unit, install and see what gives. Couldn't lose much, if anything.
Research prices for different peltier unit models. Stick with the coolers that a have better part availability. You knew all that! Keep us informed on your research!
RR
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
badbriar

There's a Haier for $50 in Winter Park. Probably take $30