Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #581
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (21)
ERdM
Samsquanch will become famous soon enough
Default Re: iphone 4 just announced.

Stood in line for 20 minutes this morning, glad I didn't waste hours in line yesterday! Loving this phone, of course my productivity at work today dropped to practically nil.

No yellowing of the screen. No reduced signal when holding it, no matter how hard I try. I have seen some reports of broken phones though, so be careful and buy a case. I'm avoiding the Apple "Bumper" case, $29 for a piece of molded rubber that probably costs $.25 to make?? Crazy, plenty of aftermarket options headed our way.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #582
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Wondering who out there has a good iPhone Cigar app? Something with inventory controls, info on cigars, ratings perhaps. It would be sick if we could take a picture of a cigar and it would look it up...
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #583
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLreo24WYeQ
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #584
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by andpeo23 View Post
Stood in line for 20 minutes this morning, glad I didn't waste hours in line yesterday! Loving this phone, of course my productivity at work today dropped to practically nil.

No yellowing of the screen. No reduced signal when holding it, no matter how hard I try. I have seen some reports of broken phones though, so be careful and buy a case. I'm avoiding the Apple "Bumper" case, $29 for a piece of molded rubber that probably costs $.25 to make?? Crazy, plenty of aftermarket options headed our way.
That's great.
Where on Earth did you manage to get one today?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM   #585
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by andpeo23 View Post
Wondering who out there has a good iPhone Cigar app? Something with inventory controls, info on cigars, ratings perhaps. It would be sick if we could take a picture of a cigar and it would look it up...
Our own KenS. It's called Mobile Stogie
Old 06-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #586
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
Our own KenS. It's called Mobile Stogie
Great app!
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 06:17 AM   #587
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Interesting theory abouft the antena issue.

http://nyti.ms/d3CUAA

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #588
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Interesting theory abouft the antena issue.

http://nyti.ms/d3CUAA
Dokk, there's a link on page about colors.
Wanna bet the next rev is funky colors? It makes sense. Makes the design change make a lot of sense, too. Since the hardware is so far ahead of the curve, there's plenty of time to add colors and an OS update.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #589
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Dokk, there's a link on page about colors.
Wanna bet the next rev is funky colors? It makes sense. Makes the design change make a lot of sense, too. Since the hardware is so far ahead of the curve, there's plenty of time to add colors and an OS update.
I don't think they'll do it. Apple's move in recent years has been *away* from bright, flashy things and *toward* minimalist, industrial design. They did the flashy colors years ago with the iMac ... and then they stopped. Their push has been to do a few things and do them well -- don't overwhelm the consumers with too many choices at the top level; just offer a few models make them well.

I was surprised, honestly, to see so many options with the bumpers since they've basically left the colorful accessory market up to 3rd parties.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all that. Based on everything I've seen, though (recently and going all the way back to Steve Jobs's return to the company), I can't see them going beyond black, white, and metal (aluminum and stainless steel, for the time being).

PS, and I think there's going to be an iOS 4.0.1 update on Monday or Tuesday at the latest, which will fix the antenna and possibly the proximity sensor sensitivity (I face-dialed someone yesterday when the phone angled away from my ear). Appleinsider has a story about the software fix: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._ios_4_01.html

Join the CA Lottery (clicky). It's fun!!!
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #590
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
I don't think they'll do it. Apple's move in recent years has been *away* from bright, flashy things and *toward* minimalist, industrial design. They did the flashy colors years ago with the iMac ... and then they stopped. Their push has been to do a few things and do them well -- don't overwhelm the consumers with too many choices at the top level; just offer a few models make them well.

I was surprised, honestly, to see so many options with the bumpers since they've basically left the colorful accessory market up to 3rd parties.

Anyway, I could be wrong about all that. Based on everything I've seen, though (recently and going all the way back to Steve Jobs's return to the company), I can't see them going beyond black, white, and metal (aluminum and stainless steel, for the time being).

PS, and I think there's going to be an iOS 4.0.1 update on Monday or Tuesday at the latest, which will fix the antenna and possibly the proximity sensor sensitivity (I face-dialed someone yesterday when the phone angled away from my ear). Appleinsider has a story about the software fix: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._ios_4_01.html
You oughta see the ipods, Dokk. The innovation has really slipped since they added umpteen colors. They even make special colors for special causes.
Apple cycles. Right now they have all their minds on the ipad and the iphone 4. Now that they're loosed up, I expect they'll roll out tons of these ideas in ipod. Ipod touch is due for an update, too. Facetime and OS 4.0 will be huge on the touch. It'd sell a billion units. Any kid worth their salt has a touch, and if they aren't carrying one, they want one.
At second thought, Facetime might be a little scary with ipod touch with all the issues about kids getting sexy over broadband. It'd probably meet a lot of controversy, so they may stay away from camera-ing up the touch. Jobs has been in love with colors since the Mac. I think he likes colors even more cause Gates made foolish of him for it. He said something like "So Purple is an innovation in computing?"
iPhone is so hot right now that I can't see colors real soon, but I'd bet on it for the next rollout. The design allows for it now, it didn't before. Even if it doesn't happen, it's had to be on their minds when they went with the like front and back.
I'd totally rock a dark red 4Gs.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #591
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Got an email last night that my phone shipped! 5days ahead of schedule!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #592
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
That's great.
Where on Earth did you manage to get one today?
Apple store- they released all the reserved ones that didn't get picked up on Thursday.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #593
smitdavi
Ambassador of Quan

First Name: David
Trading: (9)
RA
smitdavi has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikk50 View Post
Got an email last night that my phone shipped! 5days ahead of schedule!
Damn.....I keep checking to see if I will get mine shipped out early.

crossingfingers
smitdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #594
Wanger

We stopped at the store yesterday to play with them a bit, and realized that I wasn't on a reserve list. I am now. After playing with one for a bit, I definitely like the functionality of it. Hopefully I'll get the e-mail relatively soon that I need to go pick it up, but I won't be holding my breath.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #595
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

LGC

Two more days!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #596
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Picked up my phone on day one last Thursday and used it with the charge it came with.
Since then, I have used it non stop.
I just charged it for the 3rd time since getting it.
This new battery is amazing!!!

On a funny note, my 3 yr old grandson, who always plays with my iPhone, immediately notices I have a new one and was handing him the old one to play with.

He repeatedly insisted on seeing the new one and I kept telling him they were both the same. Eventually, I gave in. The moment he turned it on, I swear his response was "Wow". His eyes lit up and immediately told me, I really like this new iPhone. He went on to repeat it over and over.

Moral of that story.......................even a 3 year old can figure out the new iPhone rocks!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #597
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

LGC

Mines on it's way from Memphis to LA right now. Schedualed to be in my hand by 10:30am tomorrow!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #598
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I was not going to get an iPhone 4 right away -- but I dropped my 3GS this weekend and the screen shattered... The InvisiShield is all that is holding it together... I went in to the AT&T store today and picked one up. Now I just need to get a case

Just finished syncing it, so I have not really spent any time using it, but am looking forward to it!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 PM   #599
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Figures, I just ordered a Iphone 4 today. All in all though, I can't complain too much about AT&T's service/coverage.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...one-in-January
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #600
Samsquanch
Feeling at Home

ERdM

Yeah, I figure the iPhone wouldn't be the best selling phone in history if AT&T was that bad. I'm a new iPhone user and AT&T subscriber and have no complaints thus far (after 5 days)...