Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #41
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Airport Security At It's Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
They work for the GOV and are here to help you...... Sleeping any better now?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #42
PeteSB75
Have My Own Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (18)
Montecristo
PeteSB75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
can you carry them with you? or is considered something you vould take over a flight with? and how about traveling with cc's? i was going to pack mine in luggage for trip to massholia next month but now i'm not so sure.
Always carry your cigars on with you. I pack specifically so that I can do it that way. I don't want some moran rifling through my collection for blunt material.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #43
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Always carry your cigars on with you. I pack specifically so that I can do it that way. I don't want some moran rifling through my collection for blunt material.
Or even, some moron!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #44
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Wow! I'm flying to Vegas to attend the ELVIS herf in a few weeks. Now I'm trying to decide - do I carry on my sticks, or FedEx them to Vegas.

I'm glad that I stopped and read this thread - I haven't flown anywhere since I "retired" in March of 2001!

Sorry for all the problems some of you guys experienced. I fully expect to get the "Full Monty" when I go through security, here in Detroit!

Hey Brother if you need you can ship the majority of them to my place and we can hook up in the evening sometime and I will get them back to you, and this goes to anyone coming to ELVIS. I would keep a couple with ya to smoke until we hook up. I will also be posting this in the ELVIS thread!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #45
eber
Have My Own Room

First Name: Erik
Bolivar
eber will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by robofan View Post
I agree with you they have turned traveling into a nightmare.

I remember when I loved to fly, now I dread it
eber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #46
WyGuy
Boiler Up!

First Name: Mike
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
WyGuy will become famous soon enoughWyGuy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSB75 View Post
Are cutters safe to carry on? I would hate to lose my Palio if I carried it on, or is best to put it in a checked bag?
WyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #47
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I had a different experience with the TSA recently, but equally maddening. One of my co-workers has MS. He walks with 2 canes and wears braces on his legs. (Typically in the office he doesn't wear braces, only when doing a lot of walking like in airports.) We had to go to Cincinnati recently on business. They made him remove his braces, even though rolllng up his pant legs would have shown them that they were real, and they could have used a wand on him. But they made him put the braces through the X-ray machine. My co-worker never complains about his MS, and wants to be treated like anyone else, but you could tell it was very difficult for him to put his braces back on. I really thought it was a bunch of BS to do this to someone who obviously needs the braces.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #48
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGuy View Post
Are cutters safe to carry on? I would hate to lose my Palio if I carried it on, or is best to put it in a checked bag?
yes they are.

that being said I still pack my cheepos and leave the palio/xikar at home
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 AM   #49
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Sorry to hear Hal...I always carry my sticks on with me. It saves me the hassle of wanted to kill a TSA worker.

I never let mine out of my hands. I would be pissed if any of mine were stolen or treated the way you're describing.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #50
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Or even, some moron!
get a brain moran

loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #51
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Best traveling rule of thumb: If your bag or your belongings are not physically in your hand, or strapped to you, YOU ARE NOT IN POSSESSION OF YOUR BELONGINGS, and may never be again.... Theft and disappearance while traveling is so commonplace these days that its basically guaranteed to happen if you are not very careful about what you pack and where.

Apply the same level of mistrust and suspicion to the TSA that you (hopefully) already do if you were flying internationally. Which basically means if it has resale value or usefulness value, CARRY IT ON THE PLANE.

I'm a photographer, so my carryon can get quite large. Laptop, cameras, lenses, chargers, accessories. PLUS at least one change of clothes. toiletries can be purchased, so they get checked. same with the rest of my clothes, since they are less likely to get stolen. Books and such also get checked. But generally if it has an electrical circuit, it gets carried on. Since high end cigars are equally a prime theft target, they get carried on.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #52
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Makes me question how safe (or not) the TSA is making flying these days.
Honestly... if you REALLY look at the security measures that have been implemented, the TSA is nothing but a sham to restore the confidence of the American people in flying post-9/11. And in that sense, they do their job well, because most folks will fly now. BUT don't ever confuse them with a provider of "security"... there are plenty of ways to get around airport security, you're only marginally safer than you were 10 years ago. But do I still fly? sure. Statistically speaking, I'm more likely to have a safety issue in a car than a plane. even if the occasional plane were to get blown up, I'd still fly... because statistics would still be on my side
Old 05-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #53
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Last week, I flew up to Detroit and this week I was up in Chicago/Milwaukee. The first trip, I was taken aside at the gate and searched again, this time with a full pat down. I thought that TSA wasn't doing these anymore, but basically I felt violated. They did check my bag, but very basic as compared in years past. Of course I carry on all of my cigars with humidipaks in each container that they don't even bother to see what they are. No problems with my Palio cutter or soft flame light (I check my Xikar torch lighter). I also carry a laptop, Nikon D90, and other things that I don't dare put into check luggage.

On this trip, I wasn't searched, but amazed when I got there and discovered my make shift cigar poker made it in the 15 ct. humidor and wasn't even questioned.

As a rule, I do print up the most recent copy of TSA rules and carry them with me so that I have some leg to argue with when questioned on cutters or lighters. When packing for checked, I put items in separate zip locks (cologne, shampoo in one, knife, secondary cutter in another, etc.).
Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #54
groogs
Have My Own Room

First Name: Grant
Trading: (62)
Trinidad
groogs will become famous soon enoughgroogs will become famous soon enough

That really sucks. I never check anything when I fly, but I did have a security person dig through my carry on in Seattle once. She was actually carefull when she went through my travel humi, and I told her I would re-pack it before she shoved eveything back in there. When we were done being checked my wife told me she thought I was going to jump the lady when she opend my cigar case.
groogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #55
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

I forgot to add a few points for those traveling internationally.

1) WATCH YOUR CARRY ON WEIGHT! unlike int he US, where the rules are never enforced, most international airlines WILL enforce those rules. Often they make you weigh your bag at check in and then give you a sticker proving that you weighed it.
Tips to beat the scales: Take out your laptop. Throw a few heavy (but small) items in a plastic bag and pretend its your lunch. take out your water bottle, book, etc. Anything that looks like you could carry it. Once your past check in, you can throw it all back in there.

2) Check the individual baggage requirements for all airlines before you travel. I recently went to South America. Getting the baggage down on Delta was not a problem. HOWEVER the baggage allowance on some of the local airlines is less, so when traveling locally or between regional countries, so you may find yourself out some cash for baggage fees if you packed too heavy.

3) Get used to pat downs. In almost all the airports I have visited in South America, I went through at least 2 layers of security at the airport. The standard one we are all used to, and at least one other hand search of my baggage and pat down.