Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Listen To A Beatles Song Today

On this date, thirty-five years ago, I was working in Midtown Manhattan. I spent a good part of the morning mourning, looking out the windows from the 46th floor of 9 West 57th across Central Park towards The Dakota. At lunchtime I walked up Central Park West to that famed apartment building and joined the swelling crowd outside. I was in a thousand-dollar Italian suit, and some others were dressed as nattily, but most were clothed in jeans and Ts or flannel, parkas and ponchos. A few were singing softly, but most were standing silently (as was I), not knowing what to say or do, not knowing exactly why we were even there, staring blankly at the building towering over us in shock and grief, hoping perhaps to show our sympathy, and a connection both to the man, his survivors, and each other. After fifteen quiet minutes or so, I turned and left, to return to my mundane job and existence. Ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on . . . at least for us.

Those of you who weren't alive, or weren't old enough in 1964, to truly know what Beatlemania actually was will never understand. It was a phenomenon unlike anything seen since, and perhaps never before. True, there reportedly was a Lisztmania in the 1840s, but this was mainly an upper-class European event. Yes, Frank Sinatra drew large raucous crowds outside hotels, as did (somewhat oddly) the duo of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. And it is also certain that the 1956 appearance of Elvis on The Ed Sullivan Show marked an immediate sea-change in popular music, transitioning it in one culture-shifting night from the era of Tin Pan Alley to the age of rock-and-roll. But The Beatles rocked, figuratively and literally, Western civilization in a way unprecedented in history by anything short of revolution or war. It WAS a revolution of sorts, and within months it all-but dominated social, cultural, and even economic trends and thoughts across the nation, and around the world. Don't talk to me about Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry, or Justin Bieber or One Direction. These were just pimples on the butt of Beatlemania.

I was at The Dakota that day for myself, because I felt a need impossible to resist. I was there for my friends, near and far in space and time, who could not be there for themselves. I was there for my sister, who had perforce had to divert a bit of her devotion from The King from Tupelo to The Lads from Liverpool. And, if you wish, I was also there for you too, paying respects forward from the past for those I'd yet to meet.

I put this under General Discussion instead of Entertainment for what I think good reason. The Beatles were more, much more, than just a band of musicians. They were earth-shakers and time-shifters, and were impactful far beyond their songs. Still, it is their songs we have today, and thus I urge to pick one, or several, to listen to today. Which? I dare not say, and hesitate to even recommend. You might choose from Rubber Soul or Revolver, albums that marked their transition from a band of musicians to a confederation of artists. You might go with selections from Sgt. Pepper, arguably the single most influential album ever released, by anyone. You could pick the eponymous The Beatles, aka The White Album, touted by many as their magnum opus. Or perhaps you can choose my personal favorite one, Abbey Road, much of which is composed of seeming fragments of songs stitched together with genius to produce an operatic masterpiece. But whatever you decide, from Love Me Do to Let It Be, you'd be hard-pressed to go wrong.

I hope you still rest in blissful peace, John Lennon. You were taken from us . . . from ME! . . . far too soon. Imagine what more he might have given us, had he not been so cruelly and so senselessly snatched away.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 AM   #2
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Listen To A Beatles Song Today

I, too, was touched more than a little when I heard the news. Thank you for being there for me, Thomas.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I was sick about John Lennon getting shot. It was senseless.

I never did like the Beatles, but that was because my Mom loved them and it seemed every time she dropped a Beatles album in the big old console stereo, something bad happened. Very bad, like brain scarring, cops visiting bad.
So I kind of blame the Beatles, indirectly.
Of course it makes no sense, but I make no sense.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Too young to remember the initial Beatlemania, but do remember the first song I have conscious memory of was "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Still listen to them often.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

How can you laugh, when you know I'm down? Get back to where you once belonged.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Isn't it good, Norwegian wood?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Baby, you can drive my car. Gideon checked out and he left in no doubt to help with good Rocky's revival.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #8
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

You say stop, and I say, go go go.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Sont les mots qui vont tres bien ensemble.

Tres bien ensemble.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Although I have listened to many Beatles songs over the years, I was born in 1974 and missed all of the hype.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

No offense intended, Dave, but it wasn't hype. You surely used the word with innocence, but you diminish what was a spontaneous and genuine cultural explosion with the implication it was some PR stunt.

As I said, I don't mean to offend, but the distinction is meaningful, and accurate. No matter how one felt, or what one's station was, Beatlemania was universal and unavoidable. The Fab Four was EVERYWHERE!!
Old 12-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Gabe215
Have My Own Room

First Name: Gabe
Trading: (20)
Gabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe215 has a spectacular aura about

Everybody seems to think I'm lazy. I don't mind, I think they're crazy

Was born in 86 but who doesn't love the Beatles? Rubber Soul, Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour are my favorites, not a bad song on them

Last edited by Gabe215; 12-08-2015 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Edit
Gabe215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #13
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

No offense taken or meant by my comment. Not growing up in that era or having the "mania" talked about at home (my dad didn't seem to give a crap about the Beatles and my mom was obsessed with Elvis - even well after his untimely death), I stick to my original post of classifying the group as hype. They are/were good, but life changing? Not to me.

That being said, my opinion is just that, an opinion and is equally as justified as yours is regarding every musician or group that you profess to dislike and think are the dog crap one finds on the bottom of their shoe. To each their own.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

You are free to like any music you choose. You are wrong to denigrate an historical fact you were not witness to. Though your parents may have cared little, or none, for The Beatles, they definitely were witness to the mania and would not deny it happened, be it justified or not in their opinions.

As none of my contemporaries have yet to support my reportage of what occurred, I offer below just one of numerous articles one could google, if one bothered.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4751677.html

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Komm gib mir deine Hand.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Nice! Our local classic rock station is playing a Beatles A-Z marathon today.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #16
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Thank you very much for your opinion and letting me know that my opinion doesn't matter, Thomas.

Let it go, big fella.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #17
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

PM pending, Dave.

All you need is love.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Listening to the closing medley from Abbey Road. I could never get tired of it.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Ohhhhhhh, LOOK OUT!!!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Time after time
You refuse to even listen
I wouldn't mind
If I knew what I was missing