Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Big Green Egg owners

Just bought my first BGE (large) and know that I will be very happy.

One thing that I'm trying to figure out is how to get the BGE down to 225* and hold steady. I can it a bit below 300* right now, but have the lower and upper dampers barely cracked.

Any BGE owners here that have any tips? I'm on the BGE forum as well, but not finding what I need - bet that's not an uncommon statement.

Any other forums people recommend where you can get GE specific advice?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #2
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice
Default Re: Big Green Egg owners

When are you closing the grates down? Follow the lighting procedure in the manual. And remember it is easier and ultimately quicker to come up slow to temp then it is to lower the temp on a bge.

Also check your thermometer. May need calibration.

Ps congrats on the purchase and wasn't that a quick purchase?
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

The thermometer may be off, so that's worth checking out. I brought it up to a registered 300 and then started closing things down. As present, the bottom is open about 1-2mm and the top is cracked just about to see the vent, so maybe 1mm
Old 04-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
kydsid
Ditat Deus

kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Yeah it takes forever for an egg to drop temperature so that's your problem. Lot of thermal mass. Its a mistake I made too so don't feel bad. Eventually you'll get a feel for how open each vent needs to be for a certain temp. I can set my vents and come back to 200-225 nearly every time.

As for forums I'm over at eggheadforums.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Thanks, Jason.

I'm on eggheadforum, but am not yet allowed to post.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

So you replaced the Treagar? Nice choice! I mentioned to Holly the other night that I would like to have a BGE and from the look I got, I think I better be happy with the smokers I have

I tried to convince her how great a pizza oven it would make, so ther is still hope.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

I always start with everthing wide open until the egg reaches 300 or so and then set the bottom vent to about a 1/4-3/8 inch open. and top slider closed with only the dasiy wheel slots open full, 225-250 every time. As Marken said check your thermometer.

Happy cooking
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #8
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lug View Post
I always start with everthing wide open until the egg reaches 300 or so and then set the bottom vent to about a 1/4-3/8 inch open. and top slider closed with only the dasiy wheel slots open full, 225-250 every time. As Marken said check your thermometer.

Happy cooking
Thanks, Mark! I'll do as Jason suggested and check the thermometer today.

Are you closing all the top vents? That seems to be what it'll take, but I'm leery of smothering the fire. I hear you on the bottom vents, I had mine down to 1 set up the holes on the vent and still had 289* solid, but I did have the top vent holes cracked a tiny bit.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Thanks, Mark! I'll do as Jason suggested and check the thermometer today.

Are you closing all the top vents? That seems to be what it'll take, but I'm leery of smothering the fire. I hear you on the bottom vents, I had mine down to 1 set up the holes on the vent and still had 289* solid, but I did have the top vent holes cracked a tiny bit.

You'll be amazed at how little air flow it takes to keep the fire going. when i do wings in Ah-so sause i need a steady temp so the sause does burn before the wings are cooked. so i set the botton vent open to about the width of my pinkie. and the the top holes in the wheel are are 3/4 of the way open. this holds 250ish for ever and a day it seems.

Eperiment with different setting, its real easy to get a hot fire, not so much if you're trying to lower the temps.

Enjoy!!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

When you close the top vents down on BGEs, do you have any trouble with the smoke condensing? On my log burner, I keep my flue open all the way and control the fire with the intake vents. Just wondering...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When you close the top vents down on BGEs, do you have any trouble with the smoke condensing? On my log burner, I keep my flue open all the way and control the fire with the intake vents. Just wondering...
This is the recommendation I read when controlling temps in my UDS as well. They suggest leaving top vent all the way open and only adjusting the intake valves to control heat. However, I have tried it both ways. Not sure about the condensation though as I almost never open while smoking and wasn't paying attention to the lid. I'll check next time I try it out.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #12
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

Partagas

Quote:

Agreeded on the stick burning, i keep my stacks wide open too.
I'm no thermal physicist and can't explain how it works but the intake and exhuast on an egg is so balanced that burns clean at whatever temp you set it for.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
kydsid
Ditat Deus

Quote:
Nope. Its as already said really efficient so very little air flow is needed. I smoke for up to 12 hours on two fist sized chunks of wood in my charcoal load.

In you keep the exhaust open you couldn't even get below 350 in my experience.

PS the BGE makes and absolutely fantastic pizza oven. 2 minutes at 800 degrees gets the most amazing crispy bubbly pizza you've ever had at home. The only equal is a big old brick oven.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #14
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Thanks, All! Found some good youtube videos about low and slow on the BGE as well.

I've decided to splurge on a thermoworks dual probe as well. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/...0.html#KitsTab
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Mark, save some money and get the Maverick. Works great, has a wireless receiver, and is spot on. $60

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-73.../dp/B004IMA718
Old 04-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Mark, save some money and get the Maverick. Works great, has a wireless receiver, and is spot on. $60

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-73.../dp/B004IMA718
I'm with Jamie here. I love my ET732. I got it for $60 on fleabay and it came with bear claws for shredding pulled pork.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

+1 on the maverick. Nothing but good on my end. Their CS kinda sucks ass if you ever need it but the thermos are great. Thermopen for instant read.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #18
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Congrats on the BGE purchase Mark. I have had a large for years and added a medium maybe 6-7 years ago. The medium I pretty much only use to cook steaks. I can get that one to 800 or so easily and don't have to worry about cracking the fire ring.

Pretty much agree with what everyone else has said. Jason is spot on about trying to get the temps down. I use a weed burner/flame thrower to light a very small area right in the middle of the charcoal. I have also used a plumbers torch to do the same thing. Then I open up the top slider all the way and the bottom all the way. After 10 minutes or so it is usually around 200. I close the slider and open the butterfly vents about half way. I close the bottom intake to maybe 1/8 of an inch. Then I let the cooker settle to whatever it settle to… usually around 225-240. That lets the smoke clean up as well. Then I put the meat on and let it resettle. I usually don't have to adjust much from there. I think the best advice I ever got on a BGE is to use the bottom vent for large temp changes and the top for fine changes. With that in mind I can make it run just about spot on.

For the medium I light as much charcoal as I can open all the vents wide open and let it rip. Within about 15 minutes it will peg the thermometer past 750!! You have to be careful to burp the lid when you open it or it will flash and burn the hair off your arms.

Have fun learning the new cooker and eating the results!!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I have a large as well, can if ask what you're cooking at 225?
Seems really low, even for a large brisket.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #20
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
I have a large as well, can if ask what you're cooking at 225?
Seems really low, even for a large brisket.
I do brisket at 225 or below. On the egghead forum, I've learned about the turbo method. Did a pork butt this past week that way and may try the brisket like that as well. I have always been a low and slow guy but am willing to try new things.