Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-16-2012, 04:03 AM   #21
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: Molecular Sieve Desiccant Bead Question

Nice review
Old 06-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Maybe I can help you out...

You're welcome
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #23
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Paging Mr. Head...
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Donuts.
I'm here for the donuts
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
Delta Adsorbents

Hello,
Did you ever get the info you need on Molecular Sieve Desiccant? I have specs for you and let me know if you have any questions. http://www.deltaadsorbents.com/msds.html Customerservice@delataadsorbents.com
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #26
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Adsorbents View Post
Hello,
Did you ever get the info you need on Molecular Sieve Desiccant?
Welcome to Cigar Asylum!

Please stop in and introduce yourself HERE
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #27
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

View #575, Post #27

I have no idea on an answer to the OP, but I didn't want to disappoint him by not posting. This has the potential to be my new favorite thread.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Hello,
Did you ever get the info you need on Molecular Sieve Desiccant? I have specs for you and let me know if you have any questions. http://www.deltaadsorbents.com/msds.html Customerservice@delataadsorbents.com
Really?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Your question is tough to answer, so I'll go on what I think you're asking.
The size of the bead does not affect the dessicant's function of holding moisture at all, and I'm speaking in terms of the singular bead.
When different meshes are employed in different arrangements, the ability of the dessicant's function can be severely decreased, or conversely, arranged in a fashion that takes advantage of the dessicant's principles and maximize their efficacy.
For instance, and I'll only bother you with one, if a person places 4" of beads in a 12"x12" tray, he will gain almost no more reactivity or function than that of a person who places an inch of beads in the same tray. After an inch of depth, the smallest meshes are severely impaired in their ability to transfer water vapor, but it's just a simple mechanical blockage. It's no fault of the beads.
That statement has to be taken in an educated context, because if a person is using a much larger mesh, that depth of efficacy increases with the mesh size. Those are the types of things that one tests for when engineering a product so that the design of the final product takes full advantage of the dessicant's efficacy, and is not wasting a bunch of beads that aren't doing anything that's worth having them present.
It all goes to surface area, vapor pressure, airflow and lots of math.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Scott, did you just black out and start typing?

I do that sometimes but I buy things on the internet
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

That stuff up there actually means sh1t, Adam.
Now that I woke up and read the OP's question again, the answer is even correct.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
That stuff up there actually means sh1t, Adam.
Now that I woke up and read the OP's question again, the answer is even correct.
I know I was making an "old school" reference. A very lame attempt
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Hello,
He is actually looking for information relative to holding a specific humidity +/- a small percent. So he needs a material that will both absorb when the RH is above the set point and smoothly release when the RH is below the set point. From your material, it appears that your products are absorption only. The process of regeneration appears to be the process for removing the water from the bead, which indicates to me that it locks what it has absorbed and so will have a limit/lifetime. Of course, I may be misinterpreted this statement from the 3A page:

3A Molecular Sieve regenerated and reused. To regenerate the sieve you need to remove the adsorbed moisture and other materials. To regenerate 3A Molecular Sieve heat to 250℃.

The application (humidity control for cigars) does not lend itself to periodically raising the temperatures to 250*C. Still, I really like your product and your MSDS is excellent!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #34
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I like turtles.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I like turtles.
With or without pecans?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
With or without pecans?
Mine all have tails.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #37
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
He is actually looking for information relative to holding a specific humidity +/- a small percent. So he needs a material that will both absorb when the RH is above the set point and smoothly release when the RH is below the set point. From your material, it appears that your products are absorption only. The process of regeneration appears to be the process for removing the water from the bead, which indicates to me that it locks what it has absorbed and so will have a limit/lifetime. Of course, I may be misinterpreted this statement from the 3A page:

3A Molecular Sieve regenerated and reused. To regenerate the sieve you need to remove the adsorbed moisture and other materials. To regenerate 3A Molecular Sieve heat to 250℃.

The application (humidity control for cigars) does not lend itself to periodically raising the temperatures to 250*C. Still, I really like your product and your MSDS is excellent!
Mark, most curves simply show adsorption, because that's how/why the material is being sold and purposed.
When they're talking regeneration here, they're speaking of regeneration after using it in a specific manufacturing process, such as gathering ammonia from air, or any of a host of items, beit chlorine, argon, whatever.
When used in process piping inside air driers/scavengers, it can be "cleaned" or "made new" by steam cleaning it, then drying it via vacuum. It saves money.
(Molecular Sieve is also special in that it works at very high temperatures, over 1000 degrees in process piping. The steam part is key to "cleanning" it.)

Desiccant manufacturers/salesmen aren't privy to using dessicants the way we do in humidors, nor would they want to. It's not the purpose for which they manufacture and sell the stuff, and none of their concern. I know that because I asked, and a number of people in the business took interest in my trials when I developed HCM beads. They shared a lot of useful information with me as I traded useful information with them.
Clearly I'm not saying that none of them could possibly know, I only talked to a lot, not every. But none that I spoke to had a clue and I spent hours upon hours on the phone.

Regardless, a person can easily find these things out by purchasing a number of different dessicants and testing them. It just takes lots of time and money, but it's big time geek fun.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Mr. Richard Head.....

Paging Mr. Virginia....Mr. Wes Virginia.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #39
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

Are you talking pore size or bead/pellet size? Those make a difference too.. I'm assuming you're wanting to use them in your humidor so here goes:

For what it's worth, I'm using 3 angstrom beads in about 2mm size and 4 angstrom beads in about 1mm size.. ordered them for my sons medications (he has many..) a while back, the leftovers I conditioned to 65% RH and they work like a charm in my coolers. Took a couple days of experimenting overnight with sponge in a tupperware box but it sure was worth the hassle I have to say. With this post I'm also expecting people to jump on a ***** train as to why I'm playing lottery with my cigars and why didn't I purchase a "proven" pre-fabricated product etc..

As to which pore size you should use.. I'd say both 3 and 4 angstrom would work since Ammonia is 3.6 angstrom, Carbon Monoxide is 2.8, Water is 3.2 etc. remember that it's not just water you want to pick up but stinkies too.. That's why it has its name "Molecular Sieve" it's because it won't let anything in the pores as they literally don't fit into the pores on a molecular level. I'm sure you know all this but I figured others might want some insight too. Good luck with your quest, I'm going to bed.
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #40
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

Waite....waite......I thought this was about donuts!.....didn't some one say there was going to be donuts here? No donuts....Then I am outa here.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote