Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Possible Career change (again)

I have been working as an EMT on a 911 ambulance for the last 11 years fulltime with a few part time years before that. I work for the county I have lived in my whole life. Unfortunately about 6 years ago we had our chief and our director both retired within a few months of each other and they replaced both positions with one person. Ironically this person was one of our Paramdics and he was also my vice president (I was President for about 8 years) of our Local of the IAFF. We all though it was going to be great but it sure hasn't turned out that way. He has just really refused to manage pretty much at all and we are now to point where only a few people still have any professionalism left.

I have been interested in law enforcement for quite a few years but never was willing to just do it. I am thinking seriously about enrolling in our local academy and become certified. I also was thinking about going with Florida Highway Patrol, but I think I realized I don't want to be writing crash reports and chasing speeders for the next 15 years.

I talked to the Sheriff today (a personal friend as well) and he told me to get the cert and if there was an opening he would def be interested in talking to me about it.

It would be about the same money, maybe a little more. I work 24 hours on and 48 off now, and this would be 12 hour shifts so I would actually work about 800 hours less time a year.

What say you? I know we have several LEO here and was looking forward to anyone's opinion but theirs especially. Thanks
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Possible Career change (again)

I spent 11 years in LE and miss it very much. It was a great career but lacked money and benefits and that is the only reason I moved on. I often think of going back because money isn't everything. You are already used to the shift work and in some sense dealing with difficult people and scenarios. As a police officer you will experience much more including dangerous things and the mundane. If your heart is in Public Service then I say go for it. There is satisfaction in doing work you enjoy.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
I spent 11 years in LE and miss it very much. It was a great career but lacked money and benefits and that is the only reason I moved on.
Move to MA and you'll be make 150K+ as LEO in many communities. Several in Boston are well over 200K a year.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Seems to me that you would be snapped up by a PD especially with your EMT skills, some places around here even have dual medic/cops. Anyways just go do it, if you are already thinking about it. Move down to Collier County and put in a good word for me I will be down shortly
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Move to MA and you'll be make 150K+ as LEO in many communities. Several in Boston are well over 200K a year.
Hell, maybe I will move there instead of Fl.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Couldn't stand the weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Seems to me that you would be snapped up by a PD especially with your EMT skills, some places around here even have dual medic/cops. Anyways just go do it, if you are already thinking about it. Move down to Collier County and put in a good word for me I will be down shortly
Moving isn't an option for me or else I would.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #7
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Forgot to add that I am 48 years old. I have talked to several friends on the sheriff's department and they tell me with my build I won't have any problem as long as I prepare by getting in shape by doing some running and stuff.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Not that it matters to the discussion, but I neglected to mention that the director where I am currently employed is also my 4th cousin.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
jsnake
Have My Own Room

Quote:
I am sure the cost of living is way higher compared to Missouri. That could be a factor. There are several places around the country that do have great pay and benefits. I am tied to the midwest and love it here.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Simple1
Livin' the dream

First Name: Brian
Trading: (14)
ERdM
Simple1 will become famous soon enough

I spent 10yrs full-time in commercial EMS. 6 yrs ago I was hired as a road patrol deputy and I love every minute of it. About the same paperwork. I have been able to join our SCUBA team, I'm K9, and still get to go on any EMS call that I feel like. I say just go for it.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I am sure the cost of living is way higher compared to Missouri. That could be a factor. There are several places around the country that do have great pay and benefits. I am tied to the midwest and love it here.
I have seen Boston Police officers driving Ferrari's, so they must've had a little left over. There was a list of highest paid public officials, and outside of U-Mass chancellors and the Governor, they were mostly law enforcement officers on the top of the list. 200K is a good salary, granted I bet they were working themselves to an early grave.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #12
jsnake
Have My Own Room

Wow I find that amazing. I would love a 200K salary doing something I love.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #13
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Best of luck to you Greg!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:59 AM   #14
longknocker
Postwhore

Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Sounds Like A Good Deal To Me, Greg! Go For It, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
Best of luck to you Greg!
Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Sounds Like A Good Deal To Me, Greg! Go For It, Brother!
Thanks brothers.

I appreciate all the replies and it looks like it might be fall before another class starts and I intend to be in it.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #16
mikesr1963
CAO FLATHEAD

First Name: Mister
Trading: (0)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
mikesr1963 has disabled reputation

You have 11 years in, how many more before you can retire? I ask because I started something I didn't love but can retire at 20 years. Now, at 50, I can retire at any time and do something else if I wish. A great deal of pressure has be lifted because if the bullshit level ever raises again I can submit my paperwork and walk. You've got 11 years plus in, that's a lot of time to walk away from.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #17
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Wow I find that amazing. I would love a 200K salary doing something I love.
I fret to imagine what their family lives must be like with OT it takes to make that.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #18
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Greg,if Florida Highway Patrol has anything similar to Maryland's MedEvac system there are sworn trooper/EMT's that fly with MD's helicopters.
Just some food for thought if that is the case.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesr1963 View Post
You have 11 years in, how many more before you can retire? I ask because I started something I didn't love but can retire at 20 years. Now, at 50, I can retire at any time and do something else if I wish. A great deal of pressure has be lifted because if the bullshit level ever raises again I can submit my paperwork and walk. You've got 11 years plus in, that's a lot of time to walk away from.
The nice thing is I am currently on high risk state of florida retirement. FHP, or Local Law Enforcement will be seamless. Don't have to retire as it will just continue to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
Greg,if Florida Highway Patrol has anything similar to Maryland's MedEvac system there are sworn trooper/EMT's that fly with MD's helicopters.
Just some food for thought if that is the case.
worth checking into but i dont think it works that way in Florida.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 AM   #20
YankeeMan
Just moved South

First Name: Rick
Trading: (0)
Partagas
YankeeMan will become famous soon enough

I spent 30 years in law enforcement and loved it. I could have made more in private industry, but I loved the work. Also, my retirement check comes in each month, you can't say that about several major corporations now.

If you have a chance to get certified in Fl and can get on with a department, I would do that. I am originally from NY and keep in mind that many of the northern and New England states have civil service. In most ot them you have to live there for at least one year before you are even eligible to take the exam and then it is about a one year process to get hired. Also, many have a 35 year old cap for hiring, minus up to 6 years of military time.

I am now the CJ Chair at a Community College here and I enjoy the interaction with the students. With your EMS background, I agree that you would be a real find for any law enforcement agency.

Good luck!