Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #1
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough
Default Cheaper alternative to Roncillio

This may have been talked about at some time but I couldn't find it.

Anywho... I am thinking about getting a espresso machine and grinder at some point but I am going to be on a budget that won't allow for a Silvia and a Rocky. What would be a decent alternative to these machines? I first need to make sure that I am going to enjoy doing this at home before I spend around a grand on good equipment. If I do end up liking it I would probably want them to last 2 or 3 years until I could afford to jump in with both feet on the pricier equipment.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
htown
Feeling at Home

First Name: Mike
Trading: (29)
RyJ
htown will become famous soon enoughhtown will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cheaper alternative to Roncillio

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CF3Q6/...SIN=B0000CF3Q6
htown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
That is what I saw on my stove for many, many years while growing up.
Simplest and cheapest way to go for sure.

Gotta say, while I totally understand the OP's hesitation due to cost, as that is the same reason I waited many, many years, at the end of the day, cheap is cheap.

While this espresso maker was used for years while I was growing up, we always longed for the creme and flavor of a cafe espresso. Nothing we could ever do at home could compare to that Miami Cuban Cafe's shot.

It is only now, at nearly 52 and after 28 years of the wife and I wanting great home made espresso that we are there. Now I get it.

Now I see why they say GET THE GRINDER FIRST! Now I understand how a quality burr grinder makes all the difference in the world. It is solely responsible for the creme that has eluded me for years.

The flavor of fresh ground can't be compared to anything else out of a can.
My Silvia is now kicking butt, now that I have the grinder and have figured out how to get the temperature to where I want it.

At the end of the day, if you are an espresso fan, I say save your pennies and buy it.
If you are new to espresso, go cheap, get a taste, and see where you go from there BUT REMEMBER, what you are tasting is not anywhere near what you will eventually taste when you drop the bucks.

I say all this as I enjoy my Cuban Cafe con Leche.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htown View Post
I assume that if I went with something like this I would get the coffee from the shop ground and ready to go for espresso? Sorry but I am a complete noob when it comes to this. My coffee maker is a Keurig so I don't even grind my beans for that although I have in the past. I even have a burr grinder at home... but it's a Black & Decker that I'm pretty sure won't cut the mustard for espresso.

I suppose the question I REALLY need to be asking myself is 'How much will I really use it?'. I truly enjoy a capacino or espresso from time to time at one of the local coffee shops but don't do it often because of the cost. I figure if I could make them at home I would do it more often but I have to be able to justify the cost for that freedom.

Thanks for the input so far guys
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Search the coffee forums like coffeegeek, there's loads of used and refurbished machines for sale.

The ticket to ride the espresso train ain't cheap and going for any less than a Rocky and Silvia is gonna get you off the first stop called upgraditis after a brief layover at frustrationville when nothing is coming out as planned from your machine.

The Rocky and Silvia are a solid combination and the entry level machines where you can start to say you have the right equipment for the job.

Last edited by floydpink; 12-02-2010 at 08:31 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Search the coffee forums like coffeegeek, there's loads of used and refurbished machines for sale.

The ticket to ride the espresso train ain't cheap and going for any less than a Rocky and Silvia is gonna get you off the first stop called upgraditis after a brief layover at frustrationville when nothing is coming out as planned from your machine.

The Rocky and Silvia are a solid combination and the entry level machines where you can start to say you have the right equipment for the job.
I was pretty much aware of this... and I have never been one to go into something half-hearted. Of course this has also cost me in the past when a 'plan' didn't come together
Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

+2 on the 1-3 cup mokapot.

Spend the money on the absolute goodest possible grinder; it will serve all coffee needs from now until there is no coffee. Getting a 2nd or 3rd tier espresso machine is money you will regret spending, especially when a mokapot plus capable grinder does such a great job.

I recently dared to compare two-ounces of well made moka, AeroPress drip and espresso pulled about as good as you can do it. While the three devices make different (strong) coffee, each has its own special charms and cannot be dismissed on its own merits. FWIW, its hard to gripe about a $20 mokapot shot compared to a $1000 espresso machine shot. Start smart - get the best grinder you can. If you decide later that home espresso isn't your game, you still have a grinder that'll make all your other coffee options better; if home espresso does turn out to be your passion (it happens - whoa yeah) then it'll never be right without a top flight grinder.