Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice
Default Drunk Driving

Today I attended a brief from M.A.D.D (Mothers Against Drunk Driving). It was presented by a couple from Virginia Beach that lost their Daughter from a 3rd time offender drunk driver. She was on her way home doing the right thing being the designated driver for her friend when the drunk driver ran a red light, struck her car killing her instantly. This happened in 1996 and all those years later seeing the emotion from her parents was an experience I hope no one I know has to endure, there was not a single person in attendance who had a dry eye or was emotionally touched. If you are a parent imagine what it would be like, if you are not you are a son or daughter. It is not worth it, take the keys, pin them to the ground if you have too. If you are alone, and/or depressed imagine how this would impact your loved ones. I have been guilty of drinking and driving as well and several years ago realized the alcohol is not worth it, maybe this is the answer for you as well. All and all please be safe this and every weekend on liberty, kiss your loved ones and tell them you love them. You never know what could happen.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Drunk Driving

The Sheriff's office in the County I teach in came to our high school and did a presentation. They had this little video then the officer was on stage talking and they had the flashing lights. Then the District attorney got up there and talked about the years and the fines. Then they had a video of the girl talking from jail. She was a 23yr old that killed her best friend, when they were 19. Then the Judge can out and he was a big man and loud and I am telling you he prevented some kids in the packed room from drinking that weekend and hopefully longer.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

+1. Not really for the same reasons, I suppose, but a big scare. Years ago (I was 24ish) I was stopped for suspicion of DUI. I passed the street test, but t scared the hell out of me. I am paranoid and will not drive if I have had more than 3-4 drinks.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Don't EVEN get me started on this topic! When we first moved to this area, this happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll..._bus_collision

Sorry, that guy should have been executed.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I have a couple dwi's from YEARS ago. Attended the MADD panel as part of my punishment. Haven't went near a vehicle after drinking since. In fact, I don't go to the bar anymore, unless it's connected to a hotel that I have a room in.
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Yeah....kinda nuts.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
Don't EVEN get me started on this topic! When we first moved to this area, this happened:

I remember when that happened, it was only a few counties away from me.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I think what they really need to do is go to the high schools and show kids the videos with pictures of drunk drivers and their passengers AFTER an accident. Raw and uncut. They will change. Believe me, seeing a car full of dead people is not a pretty scene.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

This is one of those issues that I just can NOT look at the opposite point of view and see their point. Drunk driving is just wrong as wrong could be. I do not grasp the mindset of these specialty DWI attorneys who try to get people found not guilty at any cost.
safariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

Ryan the attorneys are just soon their job. They need to eat too. There's obviously a lot of money to make an steady business.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Today I attended a brief from M.A.D.D (Mothers Against Drunk Driving). It was presented by a couple from Virginia Beach that lost their Daughter from a 3rd time offender drunk driver. She was on her way home doing the right thing being the designated driver for her friend when the drunk driver ran a red light, struck her car killing her instantly. This happened in 1996 and all those years later seeing the emotion from her parents was an experience I hope no one I know has to endure, there was not a single person in attendance who had a dry eye or was emotionally touched. If you are a parent imagine what it would be like, if you are not you are a son or daughter. It is not worth it, take the keys, pin them to the ground if you have too. If you are alone, and/or depressed imagine how this would impact your loved ones. I have been guilty of drinking and driving as well and several years ago realized the alcohol is not worth it, maybe this is the answer for you as well. All and all please be safe this and every weekend on liberty, kiss your loved ones and tell them you love them. You never know what could happen.

I agree 100%. I see way to much of this at work. Be careful and get home to your loved ones.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre3239 View Post
[/color]
I agree 100%. I see way to much of this at work. Be careful and get home to your loved ones.
When I was living in NY I was a fireman and we were guaranteed to see a few a weekend. Saturday night around 2am is when we would start running. A good portion of the MVAs resulted in a fatality and 9 out of 10 times the Drunk Driver walked away. It really changes your perspective on the consequences of Drinking and Driving. Fortunately for me my wife is not much of a drinker so if we are out together I am almost always guaranteed to have a DD.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I lost a friend in High School to a drunk driver. That was enough for me. If I'm drinking I'm sitting in the passenger seat or the back of a cab. If you're drinking you are handing me your keys. Period, end of discussion.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post

I drive by that spot every year, I remember the sensation of the news it made.

Disagree on the execution opinion though.