Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Viaje 50/50

Viaje 50/50

Wrapper-Nicargua
Filler-Nicaragua
Binder-Nicargua

Construction:
Very beautiful chocolate brown wrapper. This smoke has an almost pig tail for a cap, the band on this smoke is unlike the bands on the usual Viaje cigars. Instead of the green and gold, Viaje went with two bands on this smoke, a black and gold Viaje symbol and on the second band the words "fifty fifty." There are no noticeable veins on this cigar, smooth cigar all the way through, from foot to head. I really can't pick up what the smell of this cigar is but I tell you this, I don't think I've ever smelled a cigar like this, it's not unpleasant, just different. Okay enough talking and time to bite and light.

1st half
Woah that's freaking awesome... with the first few puffs of this cigar, I automatically pick up on the sweet chocolaty notes. Have you smoked the Viaje Platino Lancero? So far, this reminds me very much of that cigar. Though the semi-sweet flavor is there, I'm starting to pick up a hint of pepper on this cigar. So far the burn on this cigar is flawless and the draw is just right, giving out just the right amount of smoke, not overwhelming. I know that when they were going through the trial phases on this cigar, the burn was very uneven and that halfway through the cigar, it would just go out on you. So after tweaking with the cigar, Andre Farkas finally got it to burn the way he wanted to. The flavor is very very rich!

Half time
So my girlfriends neighbor is playing some very loud Filipino music and he is dancing out front while shaking some bell... this is really disturbing!

2nd half
Holy cow, the spice just kicked the crap out of my throat! The finish is very long and I can still taste the spice after a few minutes of setting the cigar down. The transition was very smooth. I didn't even notice the transition until looked at the ash on this cigar, the ash color literally changed. Although the spice has a very long finish, it still has a bit of a smooth creaminess to it. I'm beginning to pick some other flavors such as a hint of lemon and peppers. With about 3 inches left on this smoke, the spice has mellowed out but the peppery taste is there along with some other flavors that I cannot pick up. I just ran upstairs to grab my phone and... yeah you can say it's a full bodied smoke the 2nd half.

Conclusion
What a great cigar. I had no complaints whatsoever about this cigar. Only thing that could have been better was that guy across the straight shaking his bells while dancing. The transition from the first half to the 2nd half was smooth, like I said, I didn't even notice it till my throat was begging for a drink to cool off the throat. I would very much recommend this cigar. I believe Andre Farkas made this cigar to be very affordable, msrp was around $10 maybe a little more in certain states. I can't wait for the Viaje event on the 26th of this month. TOWER CIGARS in Sacramento! Go and support Viaje and Mark's shop. See you guys there! Thanks for wasting you time with me.

Last edited by Adriftpanda; 09-04-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Viaje 50/50

Sweet Review!

Ever since I saw the interview about these I've been dying to try them! Now to find a B&M near me that sells them!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Great review Huy. Hope I can make to the event.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Great review Huy. Hope I can make to the event.
You freaking better you turd.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Terrific review, Huy! I haven't yet had the chance to try a Viaje, but I will.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
theonlybear4CORT
RIP Nick Montano

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
theonlybear4CORT has disabled reputation

Great review Huy

in the first inch I got a STRONG pepper kick but after the first 3/4 inch it died down and became an awesome smoke.Well that is up until the half way point then it just died out of the blue,burn was uneven but I really enjoyed this smoke,I hot a slight coconut hint in the last third but that lasted for a few puffs.Overall a really great stick and I'm feeling the vitamin N big time,Thanks for the stick Huy.
theonlybear4CORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:50 PM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Great review!! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Very nice review Huy!!!

This one sounds too strong for my tastes but I may give it a try!!!

BTW:

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Very nice review Huy!!!

This one sounds too strong for my tastes but I may give it a try!!!

BTW:

It's no Arganese, I'm sorry....
Old 09-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
It's no Arganese, I'm sorry....
Nothing quite is...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

Great review. I definatly want to try and pick one of these up to try.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #12
SkinsFanLarry

When I tried it last week I throughly enjoyed it. I don't think it starts as a medium and than progresses into a full bodied smoke....I think it starts full and just gets fuller in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:58 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry View Post
When I tried it last week I throughly enjoyed it. I don't think it starts as a medium and than progresses into a full bodied smoke....I think it starts full and just gets fuller in my opinion.
Sounds like my kind of stick!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
poriggity
Cigar Zombie Fo Life!

First Name: Scott
Trading: (13)
poriggity will become famous soon enoughporiggity will become famous soon enough

I really gotta find some of these!!! I have been dying for any Viaje I can get my hands on.
Scott

Bearded Dad Blog
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM   #15
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Did that thing ash all over your laptop?

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #16
Red

these are some of the best smokes out there for the price indeed!!!! i love em...great nic puro indeed..thx for reminding me dangit , now i need one
Old 09-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice review Huy. Thanks
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #18
klipsch

Thanks for the review. I was given 3 different vitola of these to try. I smoked one that I really enjoyed, gifted the Churchill to a fellow BOTL and I'm looking forward to what appears to be the corona of the three. I have no idea what the predicted price is supposed to be...but I'd like to find a few more to add to the collection.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

Guantanamera

Scott- yes I did ash all over the laptop... I tend to ash every cigar I smoke onto the laptop. I need to get better at this!

Walt- Andre made these cigars to be very affordable... I don't know the exact price on the top of my head but I believe the 3 vitolas range from $11.25-13.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the review Huy!